Call of Cthulhu RANKING

By Sagremor, in CoC Organized Play

I would like to propose implementation of the ELO Ranking to the Call of Cthulhu Environment. This ranking is used in the world of chess and, to some degree, in go. This ranking would be applied to all organized games: Regional and National Tournaments, Week
Leagues and other tournaments all around the world. Thanks to this ranking we could have a World Call of Cthulhu Ranking and we could compare players, and I guess, it would be another incentive to participate in all kinds of tournaments.
ELO system is a bit complicated from the mathematical point of view but I will try to explain it as simple as I can. So here we go:

1) All players that have not yet played a single game (that would mean all of us at this point, but it would be best, I think, at the beginning to incorporate to the ranking all tournaments that had been held in the LCG mode) start with
1500 points.

2) Player's new ranking calculates as follows:

Rn = Ro + C * (S - Se)

Rn = new ranking
Ro = old ranking
C = Constant see below
S = score score has value 1 (player wins) or 0 (player loses)
Se = expected score see further below

3) Constant ( C ) is a number based upon a player's current ranking points, and is calculated as follows:

RATING C
<2000 30
2000-4000 130 - R /20 , where R is the current number of ranking points of a player
2400< 10

4) Expected score is calculated based on a probability curve. I won't give you the formula, instead I'll put a table that shows the values:

DIFFERENCE IN POINTS
BETWEEN PLAYERS EXPECTED SCORE (Se)
0 0,50
20 0,53
40 0,58
60 0,62
80 0,66
100 0,69
120 0,73
140 0,76
160 0,79
180 0,82
200 0,84
300 0,93
400 0,97
... ...

NOTE: If a player, for whom the new ranking is calculated has less points than he's oponent, than the expected score for him (her) is 1 minus correscponding number in the table.

EXAMPLE: Player A has 1785 ponits, while player B has 1625 points. Player B wins the game. The calculations for both players are as follows:

Player A: Rn = 1785 + 30 * (0 - 0,79) = 1778
Player B: Rn = 1625 + 30 * (1 - 0,21) = 1649

As you can see the more points a player with whom you win has, the more points you will gain, and vice versa.

I hope that everything is clear now. I would like to know what do you think about it. If you have any questions, please ask.

back in the ccg days the site actually had a ranking system....

They used to have one and IMO should bring it back. It didn't mean anything and you got nothing for it, but it certainly added something to be strived for in a fun way.