Hampered

By ozmodon, in Star Wars: Destiny

Thoughts?

swd16_hampered.png

Edited by ozmodon

I think it breaks the game.

24 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

I think it breaks the game.

Heh, no. If anything it’s a safety valve on things that DO break the game.

It’s a solid card that will probably see a good amount of play.

I read it that all dice with modified sides are now useless

Rend just got a whole lot better.

Hopefully rend gets a reprint

Rend doesn't work on this, unless they errata it so it includes Downgrades.

Yeah I am interested if they change the verbiage for rend and force rend. Would be nice to have multiple ways to remove downgrades.

We can hope because when I saw this . I was like,"Mill just got a huge boost! "

Many of this downgrades look like they do nothing but add negative gameplay experiences to the game. NGE's are always the wrong design choice when making a game. I guess this is the end of Lukas's Destiny.

39 minutes ago, Mep said:

Many of this downgrades look like they do nothing but add negative gameplay experiences to the game. NGE's are always the wrong design choice when making a game. I guess this is the end of Lukas's Destiny.

I hate it too when an opponent removes my dice.

For the most part these seem to be in the meta-call space and you throw them in to disrupt a deck that is doing well. Look at them as a sideboard of sorts.

2 hours ago, KingOfOdonata said:

Rend doesn't work on this, unless they errata it so it includes Downgrades.

I expect that like indirect damage we'll see some generic rules changes that help it all fit together with existing cards.

57 minutes ago, Mep said:

Was there any NGE worse than hyperlooping? 😛

How is this or any spoiled Downgrade a negative play experience card? This is the only downgrade I have seen yet that I would actually play. It really should cost more than zero, but it is hardly an NPE. Plus, they've already spoiled removal for downgrades and I'm sure that generic one will just be the start of any interaction with them.

I'm more disappointed that the Punishing One was worded just like the Qui-Gon's Lightsaber. How hard is it for the design team to remember a 'then'. The way it is worded an opposing player could spot their own Dengar and activate your Punishing One.

57 minutes ago, gokubb said:

The way it is worded an opposing player could spot their own Dengar and activate your Punishing One.

SPOTTING (P21):
Some cards require a player to spot a specific game elementin order to use its ability. To spot an element, a player must have that element in play. Most cards just require a player to spot a character of a specific color. Example: Use the Force (r149) says “Spot a Blue character to turn a die to any side” You must have an undefeated Blue character on your team, or the card does nothing.

• A player cannot spot their opponents’ characters or cards, unless the card explicitly says so.
  • If a player is not able to spot the required element, then the card does nothing.
5 hours ago, KalEl814 said:

Was there any NGE worse than hyperlooping? 😛

True, not a bad as hyperlooping. Some of those downgrades are annoying. Dice removal is part of the game. Sure these are part of the game now too, but their effects are rather annoying.

Most players resolve both character dice on an elite Character maybe 30-40% of times in the same turn and maybe 25% of the time with a modifier. It hampers not nerfs and is good check on things that are overpowered

13 hours ago, Amanal said:

SPOTTING (P21):
Some cards require a player to spot a specific game elementin order to use its ability. To spot an element, a player must have that element in play. Most cards just require a player to spot a character of a specific color. Example: Use the Force (r149) says “Spot a Blue character to turn a die to any side” You must have an undefeated Blue character on your team, or the card does nothing.

• A player cannot spot their opponents’ characters or cards, unless the card explicitly says so.
  • If a player is not able to spot the required element, then the card does nothing.

That’s not the rule that doesn’t make it work. It’s that ‘you’ is defined in the RRG as the card’s controller. Didn’t see that before I made the statement. If both players had a Dengar in play, both could spot him, which is what I was saying.

Regardless of that, the wording is just like Qui-Gon’s Saber. There is a power on a card that isn’t linked to its ‘after’ effect it is intended to be on. So, just like the draw a card from the Saber, people will read that they can spot their Dengar to activate their Punishing One without it taking an action. They errata’d the Saber’s text because of that and then they release near identical wording on another set of abilities following the same paragraph structure.

35 minutes ago, gokubb said:

That’s not the rule that doesn’t make it work. It’s that ‘you’ is defined in the RRG as the card’s controller. Didn’t see that before I made the statement. If both players had a Dengar in play, both could spot him, which is what I was saying.

Regardless of that, the wording is just like Qui-Gon’s Saber. There is a power on a card that isn’t linked to its ‘after’ effect it is intended to be on. So, just like the draw a card from the Saber, people will read that they can spot their Dengar to activate their Punishing One without it taking an action. They errata’d the Saber’s text because of that and then they release near identical wording on another set of abilities following the same paragraph structure.

Perhaps Punishing One is intended to work as written. The second is a long way from broken and cannot be used by an opponent.

13 hours ago, DarkFallenAngel said:

Most players resolve both character dice on an elite Character maybe 30-40% of times in the same turn and maybe 25% of the time with a modifier. It hampers not nerfs and is good check on things that are overpowered

There are a lot of die that are 3 or more sides filled with modifiers. This card makes them all but useless. We have only scratched the surface of this set. I see this card as a boost to mill but time will tell.

27 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

There are a lot of die that are 3 or more sides filled with modifiers. This card makes them all but useless. We have only scratched the surface of this set. I see this card as a boost to mill but time will tell.

NVM read the last half. Honestly this could actually be a reason why people start focusing more on cards with lots of base damage sides like Luke's lightning rod and move away from dice with modifiers.

Edited by tunewalker

would be great against palp or vader decks