The body is an anvil burst effect

By Franwax, in Rules Questions

So I really like this little Rank 1 Fire Kiho. Passive aggressive at its best :)

I am however unsure how to interpret its burst effect and am wondering if some wording is missing to limit its application in time (like "until the end of your next turn", as is the case for other "burst" effects that depend on being attacked, like in Grasp of the Earth Dragon). As written, TBiaA (for short) has a burst effect that lasts as long as the Kiho is active - every time the target of the burst effect hits you, they suffer the consequences. So not so much of a "burst"! This sounds a bit too good.

The enhancement effect is supposed to be persistent, the burst effect is supposed to resolve immediately. I think it's just poor design, not following the general template for kiho. As written it lasts as long as the kiho is active though. It hasn't come up for me yet, but I'll likely change it to "the first time you defend against the target, while the kiho is still active".

Yes, that was my thought as well... this is already quite powerful for a Rank 1 technique (even if the base TN 3 makes it kind of hard to pull off at character creation).

6 hours ago, nameless ronin said:

The enhancement effect is supposed to be persistent, the burst effect is supposed to resolve immediately. I think it's just poor design, not following the general template for kiho. As written it lasts as long as the kiho is active though. It hasn't come up for me yet, but I'll likely change it to "the first time you defend against the target, while the kiho is still active".

will double check when at home and maybe houserule it as such. thx for bringing it up.

15 hours ago, nameless ronin said:

you are absolutely correct, the way this kiho is written is wrong.

your fix is probably how it would be intended if properly double checked/designed.

adding this fix, as is, to my houserules.