Some clarification

By Il peggiore, in Heroes of Terrinoth

Hi everyone.
I have loved a lot WHCQ and I am very fond of HoT. I've just finished all the quests. I have some questions:

1) "at the beginnin of the peril phase" happens before, after or at the same time the resolution of the peril effect? (as in "the Dreadful menagerie": if I have defeated all the giants in the game and arrive in the blue space, have I won, or are two other giants spawned?)

2) "Calming Presence" can also exhaust enemy enemies? because if so, it makes all the quests VERY easier.

3) in "The silvered mirror" the perk token on the blue space moves on the green space or on the hourglass?

4) in "the silvered mirror" the effect for the brown space "move the token to the blue" is applied every time, or only "if there are any exploration cards in the nemesis lair"

Thank you all.

PS: it's a very nice game, fun both in "solo" and in company. I hope you will soon be expanding with campaign, gears, new monsters, objects, enemies, characters, locations, etc.!

ERRATA: "enemy enemies" is "nemesis"

1) "At the beginning of the Peril phase" would happen before moving the peril token.

2) I don't have the card handy, but I believe Calming Presence references Minion or Master enemies. Nemeses are neither minion nor master, so Calming Presence would not work on the nemesis.

3 & 4) I haven't played that scenario yet.

Now that I've read through the quest card, I'm thinking about 3 & 4.

3) From looking at the rules, I think you treat the hourglass space as a regular grey space. I don't see anything that says to treat the starting space differently from other spaces. Plus,, Battle in the Mistlands specifically prohibits you from moving the peril token to the starting space, making me think that it is otherwise treated as a normal space.

4) The red space is poorly worded and I honestly don't know the answer to the question. I'm leaning to ward the interpretation that none of the text for the red space gets resolved if there are no exploration cards in the nemesis lair. My main reason for thinking this is that there is a grey space after the red space. That space wouldn't exist if it weren't possible to get there. The other reason I think this is because of how the text is broken up. The first sentence begins with an "if" statement. Normally, I interpret if statements to only apply to a single sentence unless otherwise specified, however, the second sentence is contingent upon the first sentence being true. Therefore, it makes me think that the third sentence is also contingent on the first. So I would play it as the red space only sending you back to the blue space if there are any cards in the nemesis lair. This is a double-edged sword. If you don't go back to the blue space, it's good because you don't keep spawning Valyndra and you don't spawn enemies. On the other hand, you miss out upgrading an action card.

Hi Budger,

thank you for answering.

1 & 3) I agree completely with you

2) Calming Presence says: "you may exhaust 1 enemy engaged with you" and the effect is repeated similar for another hero even if all the other activation cards are axhausted. It does not specify minion, master or nemesis, it just says "enemy"...

4) Yes, the red space is very poor worded. I played it referring to the "grim rule" and assuming that the creators of the quest wanted to close the heroes in a time loop, from which you could exit ONLY with the "way out" card ... so, whenever I ended up on the red space, I returned to the blue space ... I had no difficulty finishing the quest, because with "calming presence" I ran out of the dragon almost every turn ... :)