Rise of the Separatists - Anybody know what's going on?

By ddtrujillo95, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

3 hours ago, Khazadune said:

I've heard the same rumours regarding potential issues including a ship sinking at sea, a ship fire that destroyed books, a printer who went out of business, customs seizure of the materials, Chinese government crackdown on content in books and a bevy of other "issues." Some seem possible, some seem ludicrous, none have been officially put forth by FFG to explain any of the huge and terrible lapses in content.

All I can say is I have never experienced any of these problems from the sorcerers by the sea or the Paizo people, and I've been dealing with them much longer.

WotC and Paizo are big enough companies that they can afford to be chooser, or even be able to print their products on this side of the ocean instead of using an overseas company. Even generally successful smaller-size companies such as Evil Hat Games and Green Ronin operate on very slim profit margins. FFG is a larger company, but the RPG department is a very small branch in comparison to their far more lucrative board game and card game divisions.

With FFG losing a portion of their potential profits to cover the various licensing fees, they probably don't have as many higher-end options to choose from in terms of printing companies. Though FFG was (as I understand it) able to have the Genesys books printed here in the states, but what helps there is they own the IP, and thus don't have to pay out a portion of their profits. Lucasfilm has shown that if they don't get their money, the license gets yanked, as West End Games found out after sinking too much of their finances into a failing shoe company and not paying the piper their due.

36 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

West  End Games found out after sinking too much of their finances into a failing sh  o  e   compan  y

I'd still like to know how exactly that connection was made... We make games...let's invest in shoes!

1 minute ago, Ghostofman said:

I'd still like to know how exactly that connection was made... We make games...let's invest in shoes!

From what I can recall, the shoe company was a family business, and WEG's owner was trying to salvage it by pumping more and more money into it instead of letting it go under.

In attachment, danger there is ;) Train himself to let go, WEG's owner did not.

2 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

From what I can recall, the shoe company was a family business, and WEG's owner was trying to salvage it by pumping more and more money into it instead of letting it go under.

In attachment, danger there is ;) Train himself to let go, WEG's owner did not.

Also the shoe business was technically bigger...

14 hours ago, Nosfer2d2 said:

Gotta  say that since being updated to Rise Of The Separatists being "on the boat" 7 1/2 months ago (6th Sept 2018)  FFG have announced Allies & Adversaries book in December being in Development, then at the printers, on the boat and now in the shops ! So they can develop, print & ship a book faster than they can reprin  t   ? 

There wasn’t much to actually develop in Allies and Adversaries. The vast majority of the information is reprinted from previous books, some with a few minor tweaks.

14 hours ago, Nosfer2d2 said:

and  we're still waiting on an update of what happened to  t  he ROTS being on a boat or on fire lost in the ch  ina sea in a sinking boat impounded by the communists w  ho wa  rped the book cover out of spite .... or whateve  r.      

To quote Captain Malcolm Reynolds, that’s a long wait for a train that don’t come.

Very few companies will publicly air such internal problems. The most they’ll do is acknowledge a delay, and leave it at that. It’s frustrating on the customer end, but it’s pretty standard operating across the board not just for FFG, but most companies out there.

2 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Very few companies will publicly air such internal problems. The most they’ll do is acknowledge a delay, and leave it at that. It’s frustrating on the customer end, but it’s pretty standard operating across the board not just for FFG, but most companies out there.

Still it's trash they haven't said anything at all.

The Super Star Destroyer for Armada was delayed and they made an announcement.

I've been in PR for a long time, ain't nothing wrong with "Due to problems in transit the release date for 'Cold Steel' a sourcebook for Mandalorian undergarments has been pushed back to Q4 of 2020. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

It's really a kick to the meevonks that a lot of us preordered before Christmas and they sold it over the counter in Chicago to whoever got there first. I get why they did it, but it's still kinda a poopy move. Though as I mentioned earlier, that also would support the rumor that many of the books were somehow damaged in shipping, and FFG just sold what could be salvaged rather than do partial orders or waiting till the new shipment arrived.

31 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

Still it's trash they haven't said anything at all.

The Super Star Destroyer for Armada was delayed and they made an announcement.

I've been in PR for a long time, ain't nothing wrong with "Due to problems in transit the release date for 'Cold Steel' a sourcebook for Mandalorian undergarments has been pushed back to Q4 of 2020. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

True, they addressed the SSD. I can see making a decision to break with SOP for a product with a $200 price point.

But, given that Rise was never given a projected release quarter (that I can recall), there really isn’t a “delay” to communicate...nothing that’s been “pushed back” (as far as public information is concerned). So what should they say? “This book that we haven’t announced a release date for has a later unannounced release date?”

ETA: It reminds me somewhat of when the Netflix Punisher panel was canceled at a con in the wake of the Las Vegas shooting. People were upset about a supposed “delay” in the release of the first season...which didn’t have an announced release date at the time to begin with.

Edited by Nytwyng

They replied to a question about it on their Facebook page saying it will be released May 9.

(Check the comments.)

What, shipping now?

TerribleElectricFrenchbulldog.webp

The Paddle Boat has arrived in Harbor.. its now marked as shipping now.. Give the crew a well deserved small bag of M&M's.

Got my book tonight, looking good! The art is magnificent, I don't know if there are any artists who worked on this in this thread, but you should be proud.

@KRKappel saw you mentioned inside the cover of this one, you should be proud, this is one of the best products FFG has ever released. It sets a new standard for future releases. Bravo Zulu.

12 hours ago, Khazadune said:

Got my book tonight, looking good! The art is magnificent, I don't know if there are any artists who worked on this in this thread, but you should be proud.

Would you be able to share the stats on the Venator? I am eager to see what the 'old fashioned' Star Destroyer looks like!

I preordered the book nearly a year ago with some other stuff. Came here to see if there was any news or if I should just cancel this off my order.

Glad to see progress is being made.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:26 PM, Khazadune said:

@KRKappel saw you mentioned inside the cover of this one, you should be proud, this is one of the best products FFG has ever released. It sets a new standard for future releases. Bravo Zulu.

Thanks! I'm really happy with how my section came out, and thrilled the phalanx rules made the final cut.

There were a lot of us on this book, though. And it looks like everyone brought their "A" game.

13 hours ago, KRKappel said:

Thanks! I'm really happy with how my section came out, and thrilled the phalanx rules made the final cut.

There were a lot of us on this book, though. And it looks like everyone brought their "A" game.

what sections you do?

15 hours ago, KRKappel said:

Even the editors? That would be awesome!

23 hours ago, Daeglan said:

what sections you do?

I had the factions section, which sort of details the structure of the republic, the senate, the grand army, and the jedi order, and also does the same dor the separatists, and includes some iconic npcs. I also came up with the phalanx rules.

13 minutes ago, KRKappel said:

I had the factions section, which sort of details the structure of the republic, the senate, the grand army, and the jedi order, and also does the same dor the separatists, and includes some iconic npcs. I also came up with the phalanx rules.

Nice job. I figured given how much you did with Fandom comics for the clone wars. This is your perfect book :)

USPS thinks I'll get my copy delivered tomorrow. I'm excited for this.

Mine is at my FLGS.

Now to make time to go pick it up...

1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

Nice job. I figured given how much you did with Fandom comics for the clone wars. This is your perfect book :)

Oh yeah, working on this and collapse of the republic was a real "the circle is now complete" moment for me!

3 hours ago, KRKappel said:

Oh yeah, working on this and collapse of the republic was a real "the circle is now complete" moment for me!

Me too :) . Although my contribution wasn't nearly as important. Instead of adding amazing content, I was just critiquing it.

11 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

Me too :) . Although my contribution wasn't nearly as important. Instead of adding amazing content, I was just critiquing it.

Super important! Thanks for contributing and helping folks like me look good!