New and Confused player

By rakashan, in Twilight Imperium

Just wanted to ask a question: my friends and went to play our first game, and according to the game guide there is supposed to be:

122 Technology Cards

62 Unit Upgrade Technology Cards.

When I started sorting the cards out, we found out we had only

54 Unit Upgrade Technology Cards

96 Technology Cards

This resulted in 16 tech and 9 upgrade cards. Now, if you put the two together, per player, you do start out with 25 tech cards,, but it doesn't explain the missing 34 cards. Am i missing extra cards, or am I not getting something in the rules? Will these be needed or was the number a typo?

Sidenote: some have now explained that 34 might be the number of Racial exclusive technologies, but, how does that account for the upgrades when the format of the racial technology cards is not the same?

please help!

If you are missing 34 cards it would fit: The game has 17 races. Each of them have 2 racial technology cards. 2x17 = 34.

Racial technologies can be both, race-specific technologies, and race-specific unit upgrades.

Edited by Dreepa

But isn't the Unit Upgrade cards counted AS Technology cards then?

Along the lines of "122 Technology cards, 62 of which are Unit Upgrade cards"?

(Sorry if this makes no sense, it barely does to me. Late night here.)

6 hours ago, Fnoffen said:

But isn't the Unit Upgrade cards counted AS Technology cards then?

Along the lines of "122 Technology cards, 62 of which are Unit Upgrade cards"?

(Sorry if this makes no sense, it barely does to me. Late night here.)

No. The unit upgrade cards are listed separately. But, thanks to Dreepa I think I have my answer. My thanks to you both!

I have a question regarding the Ghosts of Creuss flagship " Hil Colish ". It says that " During movement, this ship may move before or after your other ships ". What is the timing for this with regards to PDS firing Space Cannons, and can anyone give examples as to how moving before or after makes any differences overall? Our group playing for the 1st time, and we can't seem to figure out any advantage to this.

PDS still shoot normaly. It doesnt affect it at all. PDS is after movement. While flagship can move AFTER any ships but its still before pds phase.
The reason why its writtent, is because people in TI3 had a lot questions how does this ship work. So it's up to you to decide if you want to use Delta wormhole before moving of ship. Or AFTER. It doesnt affect PDS.

Give me an example why I would want to activate the Delta wormhole on the "Hil Colish" before moving of ships or after moving of ships. Isn't moving of ships just moving? Either I move with the assistance of the wormhole or not. Where is the distinction?

Moving the Hil Colish before other ships means the wormhole is in the new system, and ships can use the delta wormhole in the Ghosts home system or Creuss gate system to reach the Hil Colish's system even if they couldn't normally reach it.

Moving the Hil Colish after other ships lets you retreat to the home system or Creuss Gate with your other ships, then bring the Hil Colish through.

Except that Hil Colish can't use it's own wormhole to travel, iIrc...

8 hours ago, Fnoffen said:

Except that Hil Colish can't use it's own wormhole to travel, iIrc...

You might be remembering TI3. In TI4 there's no restrictions on the Hil Colish using its own wormhole, and the before/after movement ability is specifically to facilitate it doing so.