Beating the S(C)-Tier

By GottaBadFeelingAboutThis, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

4 hours ago, Jaric256 said:

Sidebar: Can we just lament the fact that Jedi aren't really a viable list at high levels? That seems like a huge mistake for a star wars game

I've often seen a jedi in top lists I've played against (including when Jedi Luke was the hotness), but you're right that it's sadly not often enough. I think the real problem is affording more than one, which I'm guessing is what you mean? My friend in our local community LOVES playing Asohka and Davith together. He often hits the top tables.

31 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I've often seen a jedi in top lists I've played against (including when Jedi Luke was the hotness), but you're right that it's sadly not often enough. I think the real problem is affording more than one, which I'm guessing is what you mean? My friend in our local community LOVES playing Asohka and Davith together. He often hits the top tables.

I'm thinking like a Jedi centric list like hunters.

Now that regionals are over and I can stop min/maxing I'm working on a Jedi list with Ezra, Kannan, Ashoka, and Obi-won. Bringing Davith along would be interesting since you'd have two spies which would open up some command card options. Really wish he either had a third attack die or cost 5. I guess the hidden kinda makes up for that a little.

First I have to sort out an Imperial Rancor list I've been dreaming of, but after that it's Jedi time

Also, why isn't Yoda in this game? Has FFG ever commented on that?

8 minutes ago, Jaric256 said:

I'm thinking like a Jedi centric list like hunters.

Now that regionals are over and I can stop min/maxing I'm working on a Jedi list with Ezra, Kannan, Ashoka, and Obi-won. Bringing Davith along would be interesting since you'd have two spies which would open up some command card options. Really wish he either had a third attack die or cost 5. I guess the hidden kinda makes up for that a little.

First I have to sort out an Imperial Rancor list I've been dreaming of, but after that it's Jedi time

Also, why isn't Yoda in this game? Has FFG ever commented on that?

Yoda would be cool as a background support with a lot of power like Jabba. I just don't think they had him fit in the game quite yet. Yes, I'm not sold on Davith. My friend has decent success with him, but sometimes he flops, which I'm sure could be any figure really? I do agree that his instant hide is a cool feature.

2 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Yoda would be cool as a background support with a lot of power like Jabba. I just don't think they had him fit in the game quite yet. Yes, I'm not sold on Davith. My friend has decent success with him, but sometimes he flops, which I'm sure could be any figure really? I do agree that his instant hide is a cool feature.

Davith is just right on the edge for me. Everytime I start to talk myself into him I see that green/yellow die pool and a cost of 6 and go a different direction.

The Jedi are the best fighters in the (Star Wars) galaxy. A six points Jedi does not make sense (to me) in the first place. A six points Jedi, that's not even top tier for his six points does not make sense even more. And that's true fore about any Jedi except for Hater Vader and the SC Jedi.

13 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Nowerdays, at almost all points where I consider Davith I feel that there are very few situations where I wouldnt rather have Ezra. Green Yellow has such a low damage cap, especially with the lack of a +2 damage surge.

7 hours ago, Ram said:

Nowerdays, at almost all points where I consider Davith I feel that there are very few situations where I wouldnt rather have Ezra. Green Yellow has such a low damage cap, especially with the lack of a +2 damage surge.

Agreed. Having the intitial hide is great, but I find he drops off fast after that. Ezra is WAY better for the points and he counters other force users better.

On 1/31/2019 at 7:14 AM, ManateeX said:

My favourite fix that I've seen so far is I think one that @cnemmick proposed: make the extra attack cost a strain on the figure doing it (usually they'll pitch a card, but if you see OtL go or something it's still useful) and change the "+1 block" to "at the start of each round gain 2 block power tokens to distribute". It doesn't change things TOO too much, but it opens up a bit of a defensive hole that lets some units that aren't Vader/Hunters make meaningful attacks.

FWIW, I would like to see that version of SC play a few times vs. a Vader/Palp/Thrawn list & IG-88 Scum Hunter list & Scum VP Manipulation list before I'm 100% confident in it. And it's actually written as the following, as to ensure a SC figure doesn't get more than 1 block token:

Spectre Cell
Cost: 2
Include this card in your army only if each group in your army has "Spectre" or "Chopper" as part of its sub-name.
Friendly figures gain +1 DMG. At the start of a round, choose two friendly figures. If those figures don't have a BLOCK TOKEN, they gain 1 BLOCK TOKEN.
Exhaust this card during a friendly figure's activation to choose another friendly figure. The chosen figure suffers 1 STRAIN, then gains 2 movement points and may interrupt to perform an attack.

Also, I think a major problem of SC isn't just SC, but that Rebel Graffiti with Sabine is especially difficult to overcome when drawn in the 1st or 2nd round. Having an extra 4 or 6 VPs from 2-3 rounds of Rebel Graffiti (plus a likely bonus 4 VP from Celebration) really puts pressure on the SC's opponent to Negate either one of those two VP cards, leaving themselves wide open for Take Initiative, no clutch block of a late Element of Surprise, etc.

Here's my current favorite attempt at fixing RG:

Rebel Graffiti FAQ Update
Text now reads: Use at the end of your activation, if there are no hostile figures within 2 spaces, to gain 2 VP. Then, if you are "Sabine Wren", you may spend 1 VP to redraw this card.

Again, I would want to see if playtesting this with my suggested fix of SC still makes SC strong... but not so strong. What's important is that 1) all other non-SC lists have opportunity to seize the damage output advantage with good attacking play & 2) in the SC-vs-SC mirror match, the SC team that goes round 2 (or round 3 on Uscru) isn't at so much of an advantage vs. the opponent.

Edited by cnemmick

Word on the street is that there were 16 people at Florida Regionals. Top 8 had 3 Spectre Cell lists. The winner had IG.

Nice! Wish I could have made it! Next time (if there is one). Actually, I reckon we'll get an announcement any day now... (not that I have any intel, I just have a good feeling about this).

What was the rest of the list? What was the runner up running?