1.5.0 - Return to Hoth Released

By JCrudge, in Legends of the Alliance

Just giving this it's own thread:

On 1/21/2019 at 7:03 PM, The Cocky Rooster said:

JxfFOwa.png

Our out-of-place wampa will finally feel at home.

0*fVifVS-pbv0I8Niy.jpg

Awesome! Great to see more support released for this awesome game!

Has anyone played the campaign? Any thoughts?

14 hours ago, Juan4aigle said:

Has anyone played the campaign? Any thoughts?

I haven't played it myself, but there have been a few posts floating around here and on BGG.

From what I gather it has less replayability than the JR app campaign but no one seems upset by that (and to be fair, the same could be said of their respective 1v4 campaigns). The reception has been generally positive.

EDIT: just to add on the replayability note - you play 5 of 6 missions, but the order of the missions can vary.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

I finished a solo campaign yesterday. I'm only lukewarm on the app campaigns as I really prefer the back and forth of playing with opposing sides, but I think Hoth fit right in with the other two.

There was a lot of revealing map tiles as you go, which works well in the app. I found there was a bit too much focus on combat rounds this time. It kind of felt like a tower defense since you'd often get a new map and fight a wave of enemies. As soon as you defeat them, it's time for the next wave. While some of the maps were big, most of the Imperials were spawned close to the Rebels so that you always had to deal with what was needed instead of having a choice to lose a round to rest the Rebels.

I think FFG has done well in picking which types of units to spawn. I never had anyone show up that felt out of place in the Hoth campaign.

What I'd still like to see are bigger maps with spawns further away. This would let players try to set up a real ambush instead of the app saying, "you ambush the Imperials so roll a die for damage" kind of thing. Additionally, I'm not sure how well it would work for everyone since I have all the content, but I also would like some attempt at a class deck or a repeating villain for the Imperials. This would make each campaign unique, though I realize only if you have enough options.

I played through it this last week. The best I got out of it was test driving Tess (who turned into an absolute monster) and finding out that CT and Jyn are an absolutely devastating combination.

But anyway....

I thought the writing could have been better. That said I did like that there was an opportunity to talk a villain into just walking away. Theser's one mission where you're picking your way through a bunch of caves and I thought it was just a bit too long. I also felt like I was going through it as fast as I could but still getting the "you're taking too long" effects.

I "houseruled" that if the game shifts you to a different map you're allowed to finish the rebel activation for the round. That was obnoxious. Like, your'e gonna do this thing then take a rest but you find out that doing the thing is the trigger to end the round and oop, you only got one action this round. Sorry.

I'm three missions in, and I have been impressed by the mission design. The cave exploring mission was quite long, but it was tense and thematic, and we barely squeaked the win (on hard).

Last night we played a desert planet mission where there's an "over-world" map with imperial patrols that you navigate around, investigating 3 buildings, which take place on small sub-maps. I really enjoyed it. I wish I had taken a picture of the sheer volume of imperial figures that were deployed in that mission. It was terrifying. Jedi Luke was an absolute monster as an ally, and I think we'd have struggled without him. Again, it was reasonably close, with 2/4 heroes wounded, and Luke withdrawing about 75% through the mission.

I'd love FFG forever if they ever released a mission builder tool. I'd pay money for it in-fact.

We've got the last mission this weekend, quite impressed in the variety of the path we've chosen, very different to our original Hoth campaign.