Next after Mirkwood cycle

By Belloque, in Strategy and deck-building

I've played the core box and Mirkwood cycle and want to expand the game. The Khazad Dum/Dwarrowdelf cycle seems to get alot of good reviews but i as it's hard to get your hands on alot of the expansions these days the choices are limited. That's why I've started looking at the Dream-chaser cycle and Grey Havens exp that look fantastic. Would the step from Mirkwood be too long or do you think this could work out as my next expansion/cycle?

My general advice is that with a few exceptions, the cycles can be played in any order. In these times of limited availability, it's probably best to just buy what's in stock. Most of the time you should be just fine.

Wilds of Rhovanion + Ered Mithrin is the current cycle, one of the better ones, and is pretty new player friendly. I'd recommend starting with that unless waiting for reprints for the older packs is worth it to you.

The current cycle is great as is Harad. Can't go wrong jumping to either. Jump back to the old cycles as the reprints allow, but don't put off getting the current stuff while it's in print.

4 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Wilds of Rhovanion + Ered Mithrin is the current cycle, one of the better ones, and is pretty new player friendly. I'd recommend starting with that unless waiting for reprints for the older packs is worth it to you.

You'd recommend it before Dream-chaser? The little I've seen of it makes me think it would be too similar to Mirkwood. Boats and the ocean just appealed to me more, but maybe Dream-chaser is too complicated?

I think the player cards in the current cycle do more than the Dreamchaser cycle, but if the theme of Dreamchaser appeals to you more and it's available, go for it! It's got a lot of good cards also, and some quality quests.

Dream-chaser was a great cycle, but wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for a few reasons. First, the player cards are more suited to more veteran players with fuller card pools. Second, a lot of the Dreamchaser quests introduce new innovative mechanics. Don't get me wrong! These are awesome, but I'm guessing you'd prefer more standard quests in your first cycle, to get a better feel. Lastly, the fact the Ered Mithrin is the current cycle and is still in progress is huge. You'd be able to experience a cycle's release along with the rest of the community.

1 minute ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Dream-chaser was a great cycle, but wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for a few reasons. First, the player cards are more suited to more veteran players with fuller card pools. Second, a lot of the Dreamchaser quests introduce new innovative mechanics. Don't get me wrong! These are awesome, but I'm guessing you'd prefer more standard quests in your first cycle, to get a better feel. Lastly, the fact the Ered Mithrin is the current cycle and is still in progress is huge. You'd be able to experience a cycle's release along with the rest of the community.

I have the first cycle as well so this will be my second. Does that help?

Ered Mithrin seems to have quite a few nostalgic connections to Mirkwood. Am I right?

And yes, you have a point that it seems fun to follow the actual cycle develop.

The Wilds of Rhovanion Deluxe revisits Anduin and Mirkwood in its first two quests and actually uses encounter sets from the core. The third quest and the cycle (so far) are in new territory.

Having the first cycle already means you're already familiar with the "usual" progression, and I don't think the innovations in Dreamchaser will be too hard to grasp or navigate. I think on average the quests are easier in Dreamchaser than the current cycle, if that matters to you.

Unless you want to be surprised, it might be worthwhile looking at the quests and cards for each on Hall of Beorn, and see which excites you more.