Would the Beginners Box be a good "Player" set of rules

By Taffy3429, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

Hi all

I have a quick question regarding the Beginner's Boxes.

I have been listening to the Faniable soloshot podcast and got inspired. I have purchased the F&D core book and a set of dice.

My plan is to run a short campaign (1 year or so) or the published adventures for my home group.

What I was wondering is how basic is the Beginner Boxes. Since I have the core book, would the BBs give the players a basic rule book that they can use for every day play and reference mine as needed. Could they get one of the other two boxes if they wanted to play a race or career not in F&D?

I thought that if they needed to buy a set of dice, then for an extra $25 bucks (dice is $25 and BB is $50 in Australia) if they could get a basic rule set, that might be an good option.

Thanks for your help

Taffy

The beginner box is very basic, and that's by design. It's built to take a group of totally new players to the system, and walk them through each of the core mechanics, one by one, over the course of the module. It introduces a new mechanic for each new encounter, and has the point of that encounter, usually focus on that mechanic, so that the players can see how/why it's utilized in play. They are HIGHLY praised by the community, and by veteran players and gms for their ease of use, and enjoyable design.

Regarding dice, it probably wouldn't hurt to buy some more sets, just to make things easier for everyone.

Regarding the other beginner boxes for the other game lines, again, they are basically all the same in what they do, introduce new players to the system. They are designed to be fully compatible with each other, so there is nothing really stopping someone from using other race/career combinations from the other boxes. Though it might muddle up the storyline a bit since changing a character/species could impact the pre-written module plotline. Other than that though, there shouldn't be any issue. Though I would suggest just playing them as-is, and then just using the new box for the new system.

Honestly you probably want 5 sets of dice, 6 is my sweet spot, the 7th is noticeably less useful than the 6th, except having 10 force dice on the table is useful (I took the force dice out of 3 extra sets, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 or 14 sets of dice including 2 from beginner boxes and I've set aside a bunch for my son when he's old enough to play with his friends and the game is out of print. We just bought a house (moved out of the appartment) so we should have room for me to start collecting a second set of books for my son now. Well almost... a guy is about to come by to give an estimate on putting doors on the office and installing at set of book shelves, so soon I may have room for the books.