Break this command card #1: Efficient travel

By Ram, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Its pretty quiet here at the moment so lets have a contest/brainstorm. I picked a random command card from a pack that I have had lying around and it turned out to be Efficient travel.

Now, I know it is not an awesome card to start with really but hey, I have my principles/letter combinations so when the card is drawn its drawn. :)

How would you contruct a squad and the rest of your deck to get usefullness out of this card?

I suppose you want lots of very fast characters that don’t have mobile. Even still, I don’t see it. It doesn’t increase speed or anything, so it doesn’t give you too much of an advantage.

I guess it’s useful on Vader, etc. For getting past figures when they think it’s safe.

This is a good idea for a thread series, but maybe purposefully chosen cards that are on the cusp of seeing play instead of choosing at random and getting do-nothings.

This card would be much more interesting if it just gave all your figures mobile for a round, but even then it would only be fringe playable. When you need to push through enemy figures or difficult terrain, it's better to just use cards that grant you additional movement which aren't as situational but still get the job done equally well.

Helps to see the whole card thanks to cards.boardwars.eu

Efficient%20Travel_595_ffflogog_whaterma

I almost played this back when Nelvaanian Warzone (from Leia) was in rotation because it was useful for getting a group of Troopers over the ice trenches. It's over-costed at 1 point though so it never made the cut.

22 minutes ago, nickv2002 said:

Helps to see the whole card thanks to cards.boardwars.eu

Efficient%20Travel_595_ffflogog_whaterma

I almost played this back when Nelvaanian Warzone (from Leia) was in rotation because it was useful for getting a group of Troopers over the ice trenches. It's over-costed at 1 point though so it never made the cut.

I actually had an enemy use this against me to great effect on the Dianoga map at Worlds 2016. I had used a Bantha to clog up his path back to his deployment zone to prevent him scoring crates, but then he played this and waltzed right through my Bantha. It was crazy effective, and i think that was my closest match in Swiss.

3 minutes ago, ThatJakeGuy said:

I actually had an enemy use this against me to great effect on the Dianoga map at Worlds 2016. I had used a Bantha to clog up his path back to his deployment zone to prevent him scoring crates, but then he played this and waltzed right through my Bantha. It was crazy effective, and i think that was my closest match in Swiss.

The problem is you can do the same thing with jump jets, which also lets you bypass impassable terrain and gives 4-speed figures an extra space of movement.

Were Nelvaanian and the Dianoga map ever in rotation at the same time? That would probably be the only time I would have considered this card.

2 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Were Nelvaanian and the Dianoga map ever in rotation at the same time? That would probably be the only time I would have considered this card.

I think so.... but even then, it’d be way to inflexible compared to fleet footed, etc. You need to be in the right position, have it at the right time, etc.

On nelvannian, one of the missions ignored the trench in the middle didn’t it? Weren’t all the droids on the left of the map?

As someone said earlier, if it were everyone become mobile, I can see it maybe working, without it being full mobile it’s too expensive.

7 minutes ago, ffmonkey said:

On nelvannian, one of the missions ignored the trench in the middle didn’t it? Weren’t all the droids on the left of the map?

Yep, and on the Dianoga map only one of the missions really required you to move through the muck in the middle, the other mission was basically just deathmatch.

OP, if you want some more weird but interesting and potentially useful command cards to talk about, here's a list of some good candidates.

Marksman
Field Tactician
Single Purpose
Change of Plans
Chaotic Force
Cripple
Slippery Target
Adrenaline
Smugglers Tricks
In the Shadows
Provoke
Harsh Environment
Set a Trap
Shoot the Messenger

1 hour ago, Tvboy said:

The problem is you can do the same thing with jump jets, which also lets you bypass impassable terrain and gives 4-speed figures an extra space of movement.

True, but that is only for one figure. Efficient Travel is your entire squad. Not saying it's super awesome, but there is that at least. However, few maps seem to 'really' have serious difficult terrain parts.

Random and somewhat off-topic, but I consider Provoke to be one of, or possibly the most, underrated card in the game. It's practically a second Take Initiative, except the penalty is "a figure is out of position" instead of "a deployment is exhausted".

It's almost an auto-include for me if I have a few trooper or guardian figures that want to get close to anything, but I rarely if ever see anyone else playing it.

Efficient travel probably helps large figures the most. They just struggle with difficult terrain, such as on Uscru. Playing Efficient Travel, then Call the Vanguard with Terro to move 5 through some difficult terrain/figures for an attack on a figure your opponent thought was safe would be a pretty solid use.

13 hours ago, Tvboy said:

This is a good idea for a thread series, but maybe purposefully chosen cards that are on the cusp of seeing play instead of choosing at random and getting do-nothings.

This card would be much more interesting if it just gave all your figures mobile for a round, but even then it would only be fringe playable. When you need to push through enemy figures or difficult terrain, it's better to just use cards that grant you additional movement which aren't as situational but still get the job done equally well.

Yeah, agreed. The card was a pretty lame first pick, but I figured "Hey, lets see what you could do with it". :)

Edited by Ram
1 hour ago, Fightwookies said:

Efficient travel probably helps large figures the most. They just struggle with difficult terrain, such as on Uscru. Playing Efficient Travel, then Call the Vanguard with Terro to move 5 through some difficult terrain/figures for an attack on a figure your opponent thought was safe would be a pretty solid use.

Now this is exactly what I was looking for! Great thoughts.

For me, the only time I played it was when I played a team with terro and dewbacks. At that point it was actually pretty helpful a couple of times, but way too situational to be a good card.

Edited by Ram
Spelling
17 hours ago, Tvboy said:

They were both in rotation for that Worlds. Also, don't forget that Efficient Travel affects ALL of your units, not just the one unit that Jump Jets or Fleet Footed get through.

I don't think the card has a place now, but it was a great play in that context.

You can pass through more figures with Davith cut’n run or Salacious ability 😝