Best expansion to buy for skirmishers

By GuillotineTE, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

So I have the core set, twin shadows, and Jabba’s realm. What would be the best big box expansion to buy next? I plan on buying all of the expansions eventually, but I live in Thailand so I have to be efficient when shipping stuff.

Heart of the Empire

Negation comes from Hoth, but if we look past that, both Heart of the Empire (character updates fx) and the newest Lothal are really great. I’d probably rate Heart if the Empire highest, especially if you enjoy imperial.

I believe there’s a couple of good threads/ buyers guides if you search and wanna read more about it.

Heart of the empire is awesome for sure. I really love Jabbas realm also though. Both weequays and jet troopers are awesome as is Onar. But both are totally awesome and will bring a lot to your game. Tyrants of lothal for me is more or less spending a box worth of money for the Specter cell card though. Death troopers are good too, but the rest of the box really isn't that great in my book.

EDIT: Way to not read the OP... Sorry, I suck terribly. Heart for sure. Read DerBaers post and ignore me. :)

Edited by Ram

For Rebels it's Lothal, for Empire it's HotE, for Mercs it's Jabba's Realm (but you already got that one).

48 minutes ago, DerBaer said:

For Rebels it's Lothal, for Empire it's HotE, for Mercs it's Jabba's Realm (but you already got that one).

I think you have it right. There are many answers, but essentially it depends on what faction you favour.

I have to ask though, is the Lothal box really the best for rebels? Apart from the Spectre cell upgrade card, it is not really a good box for rebels, right? You need another box worth of Ally packs to get any form of rebel power out of it. Tres (I love Tress!) and CT are cool but not really top notch. CCs are not all that rebel friendly either.

Since OP asked for bix box, not just box, that would be Hoth, Jabba and HotE. He already has Jabba. And the choice for skirmish between Hoth and HotE is easily made.

Heart of the empire is probably also the best box for Rebels. The upgrades for Han and Chewy alone are smoking hot 😉

Heart of the Empire is really good for Rebels, you get Han and Chewie fix as well as Drokkatta who is a powerhouse and Ko-Tun and Jarrod are fun to mess around with.

Tyrants of Lothal is a pretty meh box for skirmish unless you are trying to build the Spectre Cell list. The real stars of that wave were the Thrawn Hondo and Sabine packs that weren't in the box itself. Kanan and Ezra had some great command cards and Doubt, though the figures themselves are mediocre outside of SC lists.

21 hours ago, Isnigu said:

Heart of the Empire

I’m pretty sure I’ve made up my mind now. The fix cards for Vader, Han and Chewie alone already made me want to get HotE.

All of them. 😁

From Lothal expansion, death troopers, thrawn, and hondo are all great units. Loth cats could be pretty interesting. Combine that with the fact that it is cheaper than a lot of the other boxes, it might be worth it.

5 hours ago, Cyklop_Storm said:

From Lothal expansion, death troopers, thrawn, and hondo are all great units. Loth cats could be pretty interesting. Combine that with the fact that it is cheaper than a lot of the other boxes, it might be worth it.

Well, Thrawn and Hondo figures are not actually in the box though so the price will go up a bit to play them in skirmish...

3 hours ago, Ram said:

Well, Thrawn and Hondo figures are not actually in the box though so the price will go up a bit to play them in skirmish...

The tokens are at least. Are tokens tournament legal?

1 hour ago, Cyklop_Storm said:

The tournament rules call for each player to bring all "models", "cards", and "tokens" required to play (plus dice, command deck, and a way to play on the legal maps). Tokens are defined later in the rules to be used as indicators. While figure tokens represent figures, they are not figures, and as far as we know, cannot be used in place of the "models" mentioned in the tournament rules.

1 hour ago, Cyklop_Storm said:

They're not - somewhere in the tournament regulations it explicitly calls out that the tokens can't be used to replace figures.

With that said, if you're playing at a local store tournament you're probably not going to find anyone who cares. Better yet, I bet you could find somebody willing to lend you the figure pretty easily. (Side note though: both Thrawn and Hondo have different skirmish-specific and campaign-specific cards, and I'm not sure that the skirmish cards are included with the Lothal box)

10 hours ago, ManateeX said:

They're not - somewhere in the tournament regulations it explicitly calls out that the tokens can't be used to replace figures.

With that said, if you're playing at a local store tournament you're probably not going to find anyone who cares. Better yet, I bet you could find somebody willing to lend you the figure pretty easily. (Side note though: both Thrawn and Hondo have different skirmish-specific and campaign-specific cards, and I'm not sure that the skirmish cards are included with the Lothal box)

I believe they are. I Usually end up with duplicates of both skirmish and campaign versions.

14 hours ago, ManateeX said:

With that said, if you're playing at a local store tournament you're probably not going to find anyone who cares. Better yet, I bet you could find somebody willing to lend you the figure pretty easily. (Side note though: both Thrawn and Hondo have different skirmish-specific and campaign-specific cards, and I'm not sure that the skirmish cards are included with the Lothal box

At our regional we let one of the players use proxy cards and were able to switch out a few other cards and figures. I'm sure there's some people that might take issue though so I wouldn't count on it.