Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE) Rule explanations, Interviews and Battles

By Karneck, in Star Wars: Armada

How-to use Officer "The Grand Inquisitor" - Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE)

How-to use Officer "Wing Commander" - Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE)

How-to use Officer "Flight Commander" - Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE)

My trip to Gencon starts in 5 hours. Very excited! RitR is being pre-released and I plan to get my hands on a copy for a full unboxing.

I'm going to be holding a livestream (hopefully) Meet & Greet / Coffee at 8am on Thursday morning! (internet actually working or not.) I'll be there drinking coffee, waking up, and discussing Star Wars Armada with anyone who wants to drop by and say hello. I won't be hard to spot, I'll be wearing my Director outfit I wore to worlds. It'll be a great way to meet more people of this fantastic community and show FFG how (even more) dedicated we are to this wonderful miniatures game. I'm sure we will have LOTS of talk about after finding out about the new products that will be announced at the Inflight report!

How-to play Objective "Doomed Station" - Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE)

How-to play Objective "Rift Ambush" - Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE)

Disregard

Edited by Karneck

I just watched the videos about " Rift Ambush " and " Surprise Attack ". I'm very glad you made these because for me the new objectives feel complicated. But some details made me uneasy while watching.

1) " Rift Ambush " says 2nd player can use the chart yaw value for his forced move. But it doesn't clearly say if card effects apply. After 1st player is forced to do a "-" maneuver I would think you have to do the 2nd player maneuver just with your yaw value as stated at the card.

2) Setup for " Surprise Attack " forces a SSD to deploy overlapping the station. You deployed somewhere in the middle of the table. But I would think, that the rules for huge ships still apply. You have to deploy touching your players edge. Because the ship token of the SSD is longer than a range ruler you can easily fulfill both conditions: objective and huge setup rule.

Objective card doesn't say you are free to leave you deployment zone but "extends beyond their deployment zone". For that, I would think you would have to deploy all ships touching the deployment zone and the station in any case if able! (Only when the station hardly touches range 5 and the flagship is a small ship you can't fulfill both conditions and would have to only touch the station?)

Or do you have some insight from the devs?

46 minutes ago, Triangular said:

I just watched the videos about " Rift Ambush " and " Surprise Attack ". I'm very glad you made these because for me the new objectives feel complicated. But some details made me uneasy while watching.

1) " Rift Ambush " says 2nd player can use the chart yaw value for his forced move. But it doesn't clearly say if card effects apply. After 1st player is forced to do a "-" maneuver I would think you have to do the 2nd player maneuver just with your yaw value as stated at the card.

2) Setup for " Surprise Attack " forces a SSD to deploy overlapping the station. You deployed somewhere in the middle of the table. But I would think, that the rules for huge ships still apply. You have to deploy touching your players edge. Because the ship token of the SSD is longer than a range ruler you can easily fulfill both conditions: objective and huge setup rule.

Objective card doesn't say you are free to leave you deployment zone but "extends beyond their deployment zone". For that, I would think you would have to deploy all ships touching the deployment zone and the station in any case if able! (Only when the station hardly touches range 5 and the flagship is a small ship you can't fulfill both conditions and would have to only touch the station?)

1) Effectively, theYaw value on the card is inherently mutable - it can be modified and changed via card effects, whereas a full stated value and the word "must" is pretty immutable in my opinion.

2) I think you've mentally added a correllation there thats not extended. It doesn't specifically state you're free to leave the deployment zone, but it must be assumed , since the deployment requirement is WITHIN normally, not AT. Switching a WITHIN to an AT is honestly more of a rules-deal than just... Ignoring the requirement all together. I'm certainly 100% with *either* going via the precedent that you ignore the requirement to be touching the back edge - OR, you ignore the Huge Ship rule that requires you to NOT be overlapping obstacles - since the Rule tells you to be touching the Station anyway... Both of those, from a pure rules perspective, is less of a hassle.

Besides, if you're a small ship, you may not be able to be placed touching the deployment zone *anyway*.

and 3)

Its in the past been FFG's policy to not comment or even answer email questions on rules interactions on unreleased product - and technically, RitR is still an unreleased product, not having a street date as of yet. So we're on our own for now.

Edited by Drasnighta
1 hour ago, Triangular said:

1) As mentioned by Dras, the objectives wording of "must" is very clear. The first player can change the Yaw value all they want with effects, but when its finally time to do the maneuver, it MUST do it with a yaw value of "-". However the 2nd player can use his card effects to affect his yaw value at speed 1 depending on the upgrade card or other effect you have.

2) I will be reshooting the "Surprise Attack" video to cover a glaring issue found, and also to re-cover the SSD part of it.

Edited by Karneck

disregard

Edited by Karneck
1 hour ago, Karneck said:

1) As mentioned by Dras, the objectives wording of "must" is very clear. The first player can change the Yaw value all they want with effects, but when its finally time to do the maneuver, it MUST do it with a yaw value of "-". However the 2nd player can use his card effects to affect his yaw value at speed 1 depending on the upgrade card or other effect you have.

I wasn't aware of the exact wording of the " Rift Ambush ": " Once per activation, after a ship executes a maneuver, if it is at distance 1-2 of the gravity rift, it must execute a speed-1 maneuver ..." and "If that ship belongs to the second player, it may use its speed-1 yaw value ."

So card effects that change the yaw value apply, like Moff Jerjerrod: "During a friendly ship's Determine Course step, it may suffer 1 damage to change the first yaw value of its current speed to „II“ until the end of its activation." If an VSD would be at speed 1 and would have used Moff Jerjerrod it would have yaw value "II" until the end of its activation and therefor during the forced speed-1 maneuver as well.

And like you said in the video, if you spend you Nav Command during the forced maneuver, then the effects of Madine or Nav Team fully apply.

So the video is totally correct and I learned something from watching and asking! Thank you!

And I'm glad that my instincts didn't fail completely with deployment of huge ships as flagship in "Surprise Attack". I'm quite sure we will get some Rules Clarification sometime soon after the release of RitR. Something went totally wrong with " Proximity Mines " upgrade card!

@Triangular
I deleted my old surprise attack video, if you don't mind updating it to the new one on the wiki. :)

And yeah, these new objectives are mind benders for sure.

removed

Edited by Karneck
15 minutes ago, Karneck said:

@Triangular
I deleted my old surprise attack video, if you don't mind updating it to the new one on the wiki. :)

And yeah, these new objectives are mind benders for sure.

Video updated in the wiki. 📽️

Hey everybody, I'll have free time tomorrow to livestream!

I'll be livestreaming starting at 6pm PST (9pm EST) to talk about my thoughts on the SSD, RitR, and how the meta is shifting! I'll be around for at least an hour, longer if I have people interacting with me and asking questions.

Do you want an idea of how the meta will evolve? Still have questions on how cards work, or want to talk about Star Wars?

Come join me and together fulfill our destiny! (Of being nerds)

How-to use Commander "Admiral Piett" - Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE)

Livestreaming now!
Come hang out!

Be a shame if someone posted a terrible squadron ball.

Squadrons:
• Hera Syndulla (28)
• Lando Calrissian (23)
• Luke Skywalker (20)
• Jan Ors (19)
• Mart Mattin (22)
• Kanan Jarrus (19)
= 131 Points

Total Points: 131

2 hours ago, BiggsIRL said:

Be a shame if someone posted a terrible squadron ball.

Squadrons:
• Hera Syndulla (28)
• Lando Calrissian (23)
• Luke Skywalker (20)
• Jan Ors (19)
• Mart Mattin (22)
• Kanan Jarrus (19)
= 131 Points

Total Points: 131

YOU SON OF A *****!

How-to play Objective "Asteroid Tactics" - Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE)

Re did my Support Officer video as a major error was pointed out to me!

How-to use Title "Annihilator" - Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE)

How-to play Objective "Marked For Destruction" - Star Wars Armada Explained (SWAE)

Hi SWAE'rs, sorry for the short notice but I'm going to go ahead and livestream later today at about 6 p.m. PST. I'm going to be talking more about objectives, The Meta and list building to be competitive. Come join me or watch the video after the upload and ask questions!