disengage / attack of opportunities

By Avatar111, in Rules Questions

10 minutes ago, Chilitoke said:

could this be achived with the OPP that creates terrain features?

E.g: i spend the opp and creates a terrain feature that 'pens you in' then acts it out as i manuveaur you in to this pen.

I.e: 'As i advance, i make sure to corral him in the direction of the cliff, to late he realise that he is cornered'

this do leave the burden on the 'grappler' and not the 'escapee', but on the other hand it is a truth that stand untill the escapee takes some sort of action to overcome or change the circumstance.

PS cant recall if it is a water or air OPP.

Water. Air is for noticing things about people and small objects, Water is for noticing things about the environment.

And yes, this can be used to help make it harder for opponents to get away - however, you'd still need to figure out how much harder. A cliff is a bit much.

43 minutes ago, Chilitoke said:

could this be achived with the OPP that creates terrain features?

E.g: i spend the opp and creates a terrain feature that 'pens you in' then acts it out as i manuveaur you in to this pen.

I.e: 'As i advance, i make sure to corral him in the direction of the cliff, to late he realise that he is cornered'

this do leave the burden on the 'grappler' and not the 'escapee', but on the other hand it is a truth that stand untill the escapee takes some sort of action to overcome or change the circumstance.

PS cant recall if it is a water or air OPP.

yes it can work with 2 opportunities from water, or maybe fire.

but the +1 TN to maneuvre check while within melee reach of an opponent just CLICKS with me now, its just an awesome solution (unless somebody proves otherwise).

8 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

having to make a check   only to disengage is a bit taxing      . and as much as possible, you don't want someo  ne to roll 2 checks during their turn. you need to min  imise the amount of checks rolled in this game (an  d most RPG  aside the ones with very easy rolls like D&D).     

Agreed, this could be part of whatever standard action the character is making along with movement wrapped all together. A character wouldn't need to spend opportunity to disengage, but the first person targeting them would have an easier time doing so until their turn comes up again.

Just found your post as i was facing same problem and looking for solution. We are basically quite tactical warband of 40-45 years GM & players.
May i suggest the disengaging character use his action for the round and make a fitness check TN ( ring of the stance of opponent or success of opponent but then that mean one more roll for other player....). If success he can flee 1 + bonus success range away. (+ his normal movement)
At least it will prevent from running and firing arrow same round and if the bushi can cover the distance and strike him on his turn that was a waste.
If he is quick enough he can put enough distance between them to fire next round. If he is on water stance he has a free extra action to put more distance which is enough.

Of course that mean a check is necessary but allowing the action without roll means a bowman on water stance can use this action to disengage then his move then shoot every turn. At least with the check there is a chance of failure adnd no need to add strife, he can get it on his way to run during the check.

My issue is setting the difficulty to disengage: the highest vigilance of opponent + 1 per extra opponent? The stance's ring of opponent? Vigilance + Fitness of opponent?
Requesting or not the use of at least 1/2 opportunity to avoid a free strike over success?
If he fails it shoudl be easier to hit him probably - 1 TN to strike him in melee till next round.

Lot of ideas but can't fix the rule, i would really appreciate they could fix it officially in a futur sourcebook

5 hours ago, malfoyoki said:

Just found your post as i was facing same problem and looking for solution. We are basically quite tactical warband of 40-45 years GM & players.
May i suggest the disengaging character use his action for the round and make a fitness check TN ( ring of the stance of opponent or success of opponent but then that mean one more roll for other player....). If success he can flee 1 + bonus success range away. (+ his normal movement)
At least it will prevent from running and firing arrow same round and if the bushi can cover the distance and strike him on his turn that was a waste.
If he is quick enough he can put enough distance between them to fire next round. If he is on water stance he has a free extra action to put more distance which is enough.

Of course that mean a check is necessary but allowing the action without roll means a bowman on water stance can use this action to disengage then his move then shoot every turn. At least with the check there is a chance of failure adnd no need to add strife, he can get it on his way to run during the check.

My issue is setting the difficulty to disengage: the highest vigilance of opponent + 1 per extra opponent? The stance's ring of opponent? Vigilance + Fitness of opponent?
Requesting or not the use of at least 1/2 opportunity to avoid a free strike over success?
If he fails it shoudl be easier to hit him probably - 1 TN to strike him in melee till next round.

Lot of ideas but can't fix the rule, i would really appreciate they could fix it officially in a futur sourcebook

Can I offer my solution? For grid rule , Our group use this:

"Any movement in reach of hostile character’s melee weapon, counts as moving 1 additional square (include exiting). Entering this area doesn’t cost 1 additional square."

So enemies make something like difficult terrain in theirs reach zone. For 1 Earth OPP character can ignore this kind of control zone until the end of his turn.

Edited by DaddyPool