"Null" and setup

By zimut-X, in X-Wing

7 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Asked in the official questions thread for Second Edition . Now let’s see how long it takes for FFG to respond with an answer. Anyone want to place any bets? :lol:

I’d like to think they’ll release an updated FAQ with the points adjustment on the 28th... but who knows.

Or at lease make some more posts in the Official Rulings forum thread.

It seems pretty clear to me that he's placed as an I7. He's undamaged to start the game, therefore he starts the game as an I7. Therefore he's placed as an I7.

unless they release some janky FAQ ruling he should be placed at I7. In 1st Ed they had rules language that said pilot abilities are not active until you hit the table, they don't have that in 2nd Ed. The only rules that are close are the reserve rules but that is VERY specific in that a card or rules ability such as Bobas ability or Docking has to put you in reserve. The initial start of game set up rules never make any mention of reserve.

40 minutes ago, Endureil said:

In 1st Ed they had rules language that said pilot abilities are not active until you hit the table, they don't have that in 2nd Ed.

Where was that rule stated? I can't think of any pilot abilities or card abilities that were ignored during setup without that ability being explicitly ignored during setup, or the ability being on a dual-sided upgrade.

Edited by joeshmoe554
6 minutes ago, joeshmoe554 said:

W  here  did that rule take pl  ace? 

It was an FAQ regarding “Epsilon Ace” (the 1.0 version of Null) that he had to be placed at his printed PS4, because placing it at PS12 as per his pilot ability had a number of broken interactions with other pilot abilities...

They ruled then that pilot abilities didn’t come into effect until after the ship had been placed.

Edited by DexterOnone
2 minutes ago, DexterOnone said:

It was an FAQ regarding “Epsilon Ace” (the 1.0 version of Null) that he had to be placed at his printed PS4, because placing it at PS12 as per his pilot ability had a number of broken interactions with other pilot abilities...

It's not in FAQ version 4.4.1. As far as I know, there was never any official ruling that Epsilon Ace was placed at PS4 instead of PS12.

The few times I used him (casually and in tournaments) he was placed on the table as a PS12.

I realize Wichita, Kansas game play doesn't necessarily carry a lot of weight, however. ;)

19 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

You are arguing the same non existent rule that all abilities exist, even before any playmat has been rolled out.

All abilities are mandatory and have to be resolved, unless they have the ' Action: ' or ' Attack: ' headers.

The ' Setup: ' header is used for abilities that ONLY work at a specific, appropriate, moment during setup, and then, are no longer usable. Null's ability doesn't have that header because it works in every phase of the game. In the Setup, and in subsequent rounds.

You are making out, from thin air, a rule that if the ability doesn't have the 'setup' header, it doesn't work in the setup phase. Such a rule doesn't exist. And the setup: header doesn't work that way.

5 minutes ago, Jehan Menasis said:

All abilities are mandatory and have to be resolved, unless they have the ' Action: ' or ' Attack: ' headers.

The ' Setup: ' header is used for abilities that ONLY work at a specific, appropriate, moment during setup, and then, are no longer usable. Null's ability doesn't have that header because it works in every phase of the game. In the Setup, and in subsequent rounds.

You are making out, from thin air, a rule that if the ability doesn't have the 'setup' header, it doesn't work in the setup phase. Such a rule doesn't exist. And the setup: header doesn't work that way.

Can you show me in the rules where it says all abilities are in play even before deployment?

I have time, but like a lot of things, I believe people are assuming it works before deployment as much as I am assuming it works after deployment.

Edited by Archangelspiv

2 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

Can you show me in the rules where it says all abilities are in play even before deployment?

If all abilities are mandatory, and have to be resolved, they are in play.

1 minute ago, Jehan Menasis said:

If all abilities are mandatory, and have to be resolved, they are in play.

It is Schrodinger's Ability. Simply is an ability in play before or after deployment. Only FFG will clear this up as neither of us can point to a specific rules reference to support an argument