4 Questions - Move Action, Journal, Monster Attack & Range

By True North, in Mansions of Madness

Enjoying the game so far. Tried a couple of sessions on my own and now trying to move through a first investigation with family. There are some niggling details that trip me up from time to time but the session is becoming easier and more fluid.

4 Questions

1) Move Action - You can move 2 spaces with a move action, I have 2 actions per turn. Can I use the move action twice with my turn, thus moving up to 4 spaces ?

2) Monster Range - Monster Range is 3 spaces. Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows it. With regard to Doors limiting the monsters range, does this only apply to doorways that have not been entered or exited by the investigators ? if the monster appears in a room that you are no longer in can it move through the door that you used to enter and leave the room previously ?

3) Attack Monster - I attacked a monster with a Heavy Weapon (2 x 4). The app gave me a strength test, with the ability to roll 2 additional dice if I had suffered 3 or more damage (I hadn't). The result was "The monster suffers damage equal to your test result". In this case, does the Test Result only include the Success result achieved in the dice roll and NOT the additional damage from the Heavy Weapon ? Every time I have used a Weapon the app gave me a test roll + the damage from the weapon and that is why I am asking.

4) One of our investigators picked up a journal. It is now listed in the items section of the app. Reading the journal takes up an action. Can any of the investigators read the journal or is the ability to read the journal exclusive to the investigator that found it ?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond, cheers

1. Yes, an investigator can have any two actions per turn, which includes using the move action twice. You can see this by becoming wounded (damage equal or greater than your health) - the wounded condition specifically restricts the investigator to a single move action per turn.

1b. As an aside, but related to actions you can take... something I missed early on is that the Trade action allows any investigators in the space to move items around, including picking up, dropping, and swapping items with other investigators. One action to cover all investigators in the space, and all items. Quite handy to know.

2. Monsters can open doors, so in terms of moving they can walk through doors, and in some cases they can pass through impassable borders and walls (see the text on the back of the Ghost token). However, consider that when an investigator goes through a door, they close it behind them, so ranged attacks don't have an effect.

3. Yes, in that case the choice of weapon doesn't really matter. The app can be fickle at times, sometimes you'll hit with a really nice lump of wood, and only just scrape them.

4. I think that the app will tell you... sometimes the app will state that any investigator can view the journal as an action, other times it will state that the investigator carrying it can. But I can't quite recall at the moment without playing a few more games :)

Edited by icabod

Thanks for the reply icabod.

1) I thought that was the case - thanks

1b. Interesting points here. I know that I can drop items and give items to fellow investigators but would a 'swap' between two players constitute an action for each of the involved players/investigators or is it only an action for the player/investigator who initiated it ?

2) Can you clarify what you mean by "ranged attacks don't have an effect" - the way I am interpreting this is that if the app is initiating a range attack with a Monster on the board, that Monster can't go through a door ? In other game modes, a Monster can go through doors and even walls and other impassable borders if they have special abilities (Ghost) or if the app directs the monster to do so. Am I understanding what you wrote correctly?

3) OK thanks

4) In this case I don't think the app told us. I will review the messages to see if I missed something.

1b. "Trade" in the reference guide suggests that any items can be moved around as one action. That's how I read it, anyway.

2. A typical part of the mythos phase would be something like "move monster X two spaces towards the nearest investigator", then "monster X attacks the investigator within range with the most damage."

In this case, the movement would allow the monster to go through doors. But the actual attack would not consider an investigator on the other side of a door, as range doesn't go through doors.

That's how I understand it, anyway.

"In this case, the movement would allow the monster to go through doors. But the actual attack would not consider an investigator on the other side of a door, as range doesn't go through doors. "

That's how I want to understand it as well...lol!

To summarise, here is my understanding;

A) If a monster spawns in one room and is instructed to move X number of spaces closest to an investigator who is in another room, the monster can open and move through a doorway to achieve the directions of the app

B) If a monster spawns in one room and moves as directed but the closest it can get to an investigator is beside the room that an investigator is in and is separated by a wall or a doorway, then the investigator is considered 'not in range' - UNLESS - the app specifically states otherwise or the monster is granted special abilities that break the rules (i.e. Ghosts and walls). I am assuming that this range rule would also apply to Horror checks

Thanks for taking the time to answer, cheers

Quick question based on an event we just played.

One tile has two spaces separated by a white line. Player 1 is to the left, Monster is to the right.

The other tile, to the right of the previous one, is separated by a door. In this tile there is Player 2.

Monster is instructed to move up to two spaces towards the nearest investigator. Then it attacks the one with the highest Lore.

Player 1 has Lore 3, Damage 4. Player 2 has Lore 4, Damage 2.

Should the monster move and attack Player 1 in the same tile, or move to the adjacent tile, entering through the door and attack Player 2?

Our group would prefer the second option so as to miminimize the possibility of becoming wounded.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ioannis1973
12 minutes ago, ioannis1973 said:

Quick question based on an event we just played.

One tile has two spaces separated by a white line. Player 1 is to the left, Monster is to the right.

The other tile, to the right of the previous one, is separated by a door. In this tile there is Player 2.

Monster is instructed to move up to two spaces towards the nearest investigator. Then it attacks the one with the highest Lore.

Player 1 has Lore 3, Damage 4. Player 2 has Lore 4, Damage 2.

Should the monster move and attack Player 1 in the same tile, or move to the adjacent tile, entering through the door and attack Player 2?

Our group would prefer the second option so as to miminimize the possibility of becoming wounded.

Any thoughts?

The instruction is it moves to the nearest investigator. Only after it has moved do you choose a target of whoever has the highest lore. Since the investigator outside the door is neither adjacent nor in range, it would not be a target.

But besides that, the golden rule of MOM is that if you're faced by a choice, you take the worst option.