Looks cool, but...

By Boromir_and_kermit, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

On 1/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, Hannibal_pjv said:

For example ufo board game has not get new content for 5-6 years and the app is still working...

If you mean XCOM, the base game was only released in 2015 and the expansion in December 2016, so only about 2 years.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:55 AM, Boromir_and_kermit said:

What sort of assurances are there that this game will be supported long term?

None.

10 hours ago, Bleached Lizard said:

If you mean XCOM, the base game was only released in 2015 and the expansion in December 2016, so only about 2 years.

Only two? Feels much longer... :)

Cool looking game, but I prefer non-app games so I'll pass. As people mentioned before, there is no garantuee that they will keep support for the app in the future.

Enriching a game using an app is one thing (Descent 2nd Edition for example), but putting it as a requirement to play the base game is too far for me.

I always thought the timeless aspect of boardgames is one of the key features of what makes boardgames distinct vs computer games. You don't have to go through the hassle of making older games work on modern systems and you can easily houserule things when necessary.

Edit: Mm, just noticed now that there is an entire thread dedicated to the app usage.

Edited by Gridash

The most important element to buy this game and its LIMITLESS play was forgotten:

....the game can be enjoyed in solo,or coop mode.

So it can and will be played as long as you want it. No need to worry.

And present day software will run on anything in a decade, just like my PC can run anything of the last 40 years.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:01 PM, Bleached Lizard said:

None.

Since this is a solo game with software support from 4 different OS, it can be played forever.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:55 AM, Boromir_and_kermit said:

Will it be supported long term by FFG. They stopped supporting Battlelore 1st edition and then second edition as well as several other games I enjoyed. Now with Runewars looking like it is on the way out, I honestly don't know if I want to jump into another game even though it looks great and is a theme I really love.

What sort of assurances are there that this game will be supported long term?

"What sort of assurances are there that this game will be supported long term?"

It depends on the sales.

It seems that some of you think that FFG decides not to support a game based on random variables or just to puke you. If the game succeds it will be supported, if not, it won't. FFG is a company, so they need to follow these standards.

We're are talking about one of the most known IPs in the world along with Star Wars, so the game must be really bad if it's not supported.

• "
Edited by Celonius

In Marketing there is something called the life-cycle of a product, which is bassically that every product except some exceptions (Coke, Big Mac, etc) will eventually die. I don't know what these people want from the company.

3 minutes ago, Celonius said:

In Marketing there is something called the life-cycle of a product, which is bassically that every product except some exceptions (Coke, Big Mac, etc) will eventually die. I don't know what these people want from the company.

The Dwarrowdelf cycle.

On 1/18/2019 at 7:32 PM, Hannibal_pjv said:

Only two? Feels much longer... :)

It is longer than two. It came out in 2015. Expansion in 2016.

I personally would prefer 1 big box per year opening a new REGION of middle-earth and maybe throw in a character box (2 or 3 heroes, maybe 2 or 3 enemy groups) at the 6 month mark. Although I love the IP more heroes doesn't necessarily improve the game. Don't get me wrong, if they released Bullroarer "4 Might" Took, "Musician" Merry, and Pippen "I know my way around the Old Forest" Trailblazer Took, at monthly intervals, I'd buy them all. But- they're all Hobbits, and their stats are just a number different here or there. How different will they really feel when 5 cards are their core identity? I own everything of Imperial Assault and I have heroes that I've still never used (we choose our heroes randomly at the start of a campaign).

Bottom line- I want it all too! But realistically I have enough other games that I'd be fine with once per year!

If you saw my collection, you'd think I didn't know other companies than FFG made games. :lol: