Empire of the Emerald Stars

By Tonbo Karasu, in Houserules

One of the more fun settings that turned up towards the end of 4E was "Rokugan in Space".

Now, what they gave was a good start, but would still require quite a lot of GM input to run as a campaign. I don't know whether I'll ever get as far as running a game, but I do quite like planning for things, and was considering looking at Empire of the Emerald Stars, using the new RPG.

I'm wondering whether it's feasible to look at the abilities in Genesys/SW to create new techniques for gun-toting bushi, interstellar shugenja and alien monks (cheddar monks?). Is there anyone who has the SW games who can give me hints towards that?

It is feasible and interesting. But is a long term endeavor. Its basically needs to be a 100+pages minimum book to be meaty ebough to be fun.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

I'm wondering whether it's feasible to look at the abilities in Genesys/SW to create new techniques for gun-toting bushi, interstellar shugenja and alien monks (cheddar monks?). Is there anyone who has the SW games who can give me hints towards that?

In theory it should work. The star wars book has 'obligation' and 'conflict/morality' which can be adapted as honour/glory/status mechanics with a few real rules impacts, and there are some nice simple rules for 'showdowns' which cover duel-like situations, either with guns or swords. Force mechanics are pretty simple and work fairly well.

As a mechanic it works okay. The real question will be how you plan to manage 'spaceship' combat. I seem to recall each clan had a carrier flagship plus many smaller ships, and in theory you could now get ship, moon or planet-sized oni from a black-hole-esque festering pit.