Thrindal's Custom Imperial Fleet

By Thrindal, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Just getting started and not 100% sure of the direction but I am happy with the start...

GvF1Gwn.jpg

I liked the clean look of the Star Destroyers in Rogue 1 but I didn't want to go that white. Then I wanted a simple but distinctive geometric pattern to distinguish the ship, in this case an offset line (repeated on the bottom). The main body is Screaming Skull (all are Citadel Paints), the line is Genestealer Purple, and then Mechanicus Grey. Of course the engine glow is done as well but just a similar Blue to what is used by FFG. I went with a heavily diluted Nuln Oil wash. I didn't want the ship to look too dirty but needed the lines to be better defined.

Now my question is do I repeat everything to be uniform to this or do I alter the Geometric Purple bits so that ships are distinct but the color scheme is uniform?

I will be ordering an ISD 1 Conversion from @melminiatures before I do an ISD. I will probably do a Gladiator next, then a Gozanti. The Raider with its flaps is gonna be a pain. I am excited to do an Interdictor but I want to do something special for glowing channels. The Quasar should be straight forward and I will eventually get to a Vic although it is probably the ship I fly the least.

I acutally have a couple squads done already, they were my test case. I will take pictures of them when I have more to show.

Edit:

Here is my painting video for the Arquitens...

Edited by Thrindal
Added Video Link

Your image is broke mate @Thrindal

7 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Your image is broke mate @Thrindal

Thanks @TallGiraffe should be fixed now.

As for the geometric pattern, it depends if you have any intention of doing multiple of the same ship.

50 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

As for the geometric pattern, it depends if you have any intention of doing multiple of the same ship.

I do plan on doing at least 2 Arquitens and 2 Sets of Gozanti's Outside of that I am not sure. In those cases I do plan on doing something different for each ship.

This is clearly a girly Fleet! Look at those colors! OH GOD! The Rebel fleet is going blind just looking at them! Some of them are caught in a laughing fit. How can we take that seriously!

21 hours ago, Thrindal said:

I do plan on doing at least 2 Arquitens and 2 Sets of Gozanti's Outside of that I am not sure. In those cases I do plan on doing something different for each ship.

I would go with every ship being a little bit different then, or at least base the number of strips on seniority, or something. While some of the new ships have one or maybe two strips, that old VSD has 4 or more.

Here is ship #2, a Gladiator.

JualPD8.jpg

R0QHbye.jpg

And for those interested I posted my painting video. I really try to make these as simply as possible, there are more skilled painters for sure but for those looking to start painting some ships I hope my videos give you some ideas and basic tips to take the plunge.

Edit:

I am working on my photography as well and I have new LED camera lights and I had them set too bright for these photos and they came out a little over saturated. The line definition is a bit better then can be seen here. The Arquitens has better line definition in the model however IMHO compared to the Gladiator.

Interdictor will be next then likely an ISD as my ISD 1 conversion kit just arrived.

Edited by Thrindal

Here is #3, an Interdictor...

I am finding each ship seems to have a feature that makes painting them unique from the others. On the interdictor the Grav Wells and the central spine are obvious but the raised bit on the underside can be a pain.

YM3q3KG.jpg

N6eFI9X.jpg

Y0kkCeT.jpg

And of course my video...

I would go over the purple stripe again after it dries. Apart from that - nice

c6eKGBJ.jpg

A9GDvZm.jpg

ntW5qKf.jpg

gZweKHn.jpg

jDadt4t.jpg

Finally got a couple more ships done, I added an ISD (With @melminiatures ISD1 Conversion) as well as some alternate Gozanti Models also from Mel. I am not sure how many Squads I will paint in this Scheme but I have done a couple here.

The color scheme is not for everyone but I happen to really like it. I will probably do a Raider next then I will still need to do a Vic and a Quasar. I have no intention at the moment to do a SSD. I'll probably do another set of FFG Gozanti's and another Arquitens as well. No real plan after that although the Onager will probably get the treatment as well.

Thanks to Admiral Tater I was able to get a matching tool set for my fleet along with some Shield Dials and Maneuver tool inserts.

ULGMSel.jpg

We also worked on a custom Command Ship Token which I then added magnets to and drilled a hole in the ship support for mounting.

CQAP639.jpg

5LVQGgQ.jpg

I admittedly fussed over this for a long time and probably drove Admiral Tater crazy but the end result was great and he has a new item in his shop for it. One big stumbling block for me was the color of the Acrylic itself, we went with Ivory which was not something he carried before. Its all sharp and I am very happy with it!

On 11/17/2019 at 6:04 AM, Thrindal said:

Thanks to Admiral Tater I was able to get a matching tool set for my fleet along with some Shield Dials and Maneuver tool inserts.

ULGMSel.jpg

We also worked on a custom Command Ship Token which I then added magnets to and drilled a hole in the ship support for mounting.

CQAP639.jpg

5LVQGgQ.jpg

I admittedly fussed over this for a long time and probably drove Admiral Tater crazy but the end result was great and he has a new item in his shop for it. One big stumbling block for me was the color of the Acrylic itself, we went with Ivory which was not something he carried before. Its all sharp and I am very happy with it!

Ah so u r the one with that order, nice one! :)

4 hours ago, DrakonLord said:

Ah so u r the one with that order, nice one! :)

Lol, yeah I'm the one.

Admiral Tator does great work. He was very patient with me while I tried to explain my vision for the command ship token. I am glad it came out so well and he created a Rebel one as well for his store. I have plans to get trays and tokens from him in time although I need to pace it out. What I got here was a big drop and funds need to replenish.

9 hours ago, Thrindal said:

Lol, yeah I'm the one.

Admiral Tator does great work. He was very patient with me while I tried to explain my vision for the command ship token. I am glad it came out so well and he created a Rebel one as well for his store. I have plans to get trays and tokens from him in time although I need to pace it out. What I got here was a big drop and funds need to replenish.

Yes he has a great store, i recently got 28 sets of acrylic shield dials which are awesome.

19 minutes ago, DrakonLord said:

Yes he has a great store, i recently got 28 sets of acrylic shield dials which are awesome.

28 sets! I'm not going to convert everything just yet. I probably need a couple more sets to handle 99% of what I would run in a 400 point fleet. My priority now are a good start on trays, Defense tokens, and Command tokens.

1 hour ago, Thrindal said:

28 sets! I'm not going to convert everything just yet. I probably need a couple more sets to handle 99% of what I would run in a 400 point fleet. My priority now are a good start on trays, Defense tokens, and Command tokens.

Hahaha yep, a set per ship ^_^ though apparently i miscounted so ill have to get another set eventually lol