Worlds Waitlist

By kennydkbrown, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

On 2/27/2019 at 2:05 PM, NeverBetTheFett said:

Yup. My guess is they won't be using the Ramada near their home office in Minnesota for Worlds anymore. That being said, keeping the IA and Armada Worlds event alive by putting it at Adepticon still costs them money, so it makes sense to make it smaller.

I feel pretty confidant that based on the sizes of the player bases, they could easily do Swiss for both IA and Armada on the same day, with the cut the day after.

Part of the logistics problem with Worlds in general is that many players play multiple games and would like to jump in the pool for all of them, for all the swag and community engagement, never mind even really attempting to win the thing.

So they could easily devote a day to get both IA and Armada Swiss done, and on Day 2, with at most a Top 16 for IA and a Top 8 for Armada, have 16 "3x3" game spaces occupied at the start, shrinking by half each round until a winner is declared.

You get the Armada or IA final streaming in the cordoned off area with whichever starts first, giving the other players the break between rounds while it resolves for their final.

Meanwhile on that same day, you get a Swiss going for something else that's not as big as X-Wing (which used up the entire Event Center last time I was there), like Legion and run that Swiss during IA/Armada cuts, then run X-Wing Swiss the day after where Legion's Top 8 isn't taking up too much room, then do the same for Destiny after.

It would take all week, and the only people caught between two games would be those in cuts and Swiss pools overlapping, which would be a very small percentage of players.

They wouldn't even need to dip into the Raddy's space and incur that cost if they proceed with this invitation-only scheme, as they can control the attendance, which itself makes it easier to not worry about that player overlap as you'd be talking about a really small percentage, again.

But since I'm an insane man yelling into the void of the Internet, nothing matters.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:32 AM, Ice Dragon said:

My concern was spending $35 on a badge, then paying $30 to be on the wait list and not getting a chance to play. $65 wasted if that ended up being the scenario. Wasn't going for any other events, so not a gamble I was willing to take. Good luck to those on the list.

I'm not going myself, but I was thinking about this scenario happening, and whether they would leave you holding the bag on your con badge, which I imagine they would be.

17 hours ago, cleardave said:

I feel pretty confidant that based on the sizes of the player bases, they could easily do Swiss for both IA and Armada on the same day, with the cut the day after.

But since I'm an insane man yelling into the void of the Internet, nothing matters.

I disagree. If I'm right and the Ramada is not in play, where do you fit the "small" communities of over 100 gamers for the Armada and IA? The game centre is cramped and smelly enough without trying to add any more games. He-LL, they don't even sell Surly!

Instead you relegate them to lesser events while you bide your time (until a possible end?)! Well played FFG. (slow clap).

Edited by NeverBetTheFett
On 3/12/2019 at 11:47 AM, NeverBetTheFett said:

I disagree. If I'm right and the Ramada is not in play, where do you fit the "small" communities of over 100 gamers for the Armada and IA? The game centre is cramped and smelly enough without trying to add any more games. He-LL, they don't even sell Surly!

Instead you relegate them to lesser events while you bide your time (until a possible end?)! Well played FFG. (slow clap).

The Event Center can easily hold 100 players (50 tables) of IA and another 50 players (25 tables) of Armada in one day. It held more than that for X-Wing worlds when they filled the back event room and all the tables out in the main store area. Will it be cramped? I don't know, maybe?

By the time the third round ends and players start dropping, I expect plenty of elbow room to present itself.

Also, when did they stop selling Surly in there? I've had it on tap every time I've been there. They pour it in the store, the hotel, the surrounding restaurants, and if that's not good enough for you, you can go for a short drive and get it straight from the source.

Honestly the only reason I could see them not packing their Event Center is some perceived (or actual) loss of sales for that week while customers and casual players go elsewhere. That said, I don't think the store is closed to outsiders coming in for purchases, they just can't stay and play.

It's there to be done if they wanted to, which they clearly don't.

I never heard, but was it ever mentioned if all the slots were filled for Saturday? How many players are actually participating?

I know people who aren't going due to the SC meta. Sad. FFG needs to nerf that card.