Where to buy in the UK???

By Jamie of Gilead, in Player community

Hi one and all,

I just got a LOTR LCG Core set for Christmas and I absolutely love it! I have only played solo as my usual gaming partner (my son, aged 9) has no interest in LOTR (Star Wars all the way for him...). I finally beat the Passage through Mirkwood quest last night after numerous attempts and looking forward to tackling the Journey to Anduin. I have heard/read that this is where the real challenge begins... and as a result I was looking to get a couple of expansions to ease the burden. Here's where my question lies, where, in the UK, do you guys get your expansions from? I have looked online and all the pricing seems to be massively inflated. I wanted to start from the beginning ideally and build up my collection from there but the Hunt for Gollum pack alone is on Amazon for £52!!! (I'm not tight but I can't justify that price), I thought these were closer to £12-£15 each on release? I have looked at my local stores but can't find an expansions anywhere.

Any advise on where to go or what to invest in first would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all and happy questing,

J

Edited by Jamie of Gilead
additional info

I'm of the opinion that completing Journey down the Anduin without expansions is completely doable, but hey, it's your choice! I know nothing about buying expansions in your area, though, so sorry I can't be of help. But welcome to LotR LCG! :)

Thanks Wandalf, I'm definitely going to give it a try.

It might just be the collector in me that wants to expand so soon... :)

J

I'm in the UK and usually have to hunt around for packs.

A good place to look is https://boardgameprices.co.uk - it will show the best price from a selection of good sites, and whether the game is in stock.

I don't see Hunt For Gollum anywhere there at the moment tho'.

Where are you in the UK? There are a couple shops that sometimes have stock. For example, Leisure Games in North London currently have a few of the Mirkwood cycle in stock for 14 quid a piece (according to their website).

Thanks Icabod. I'm near Nottingham but I work in Sheffield and discovered a game shop there today online so going to check it out on Monday. I'll definitely have a look at that site later. Cheers mate

Unfortunately, stock on a lot of the game's expansions is hard to come by recently. My advice: don't worry about buying the expansions in order, just pick up whatever is in stock. I have played several of the expansions out-of-order with just a core set for my blog ( https://darklingdoor.wordpress.com/path-less-traveled/ ) and most of the time it works just fine. The only thing to keep in mind is that most Adventure Packs are associated with a particular Deluxe expansion, so you'll probably want to pass on any APs you can't find the Deluxe for.

If you try to go in release order, though, you'll often find yourself stuck for months at a time waiting for an expansion that used to be in stock back when you were waiting for some other expansion... It's a common complaint among new players these days, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Authraw said:

If you try to go in release order, though, you'll often find yourself stuck for months at a time waiting for an expansion that used to be in stock back when you were waiting for some other expansion... It's a common complaint among new players these days, unfortunately.

Yeah, this used to be the best option, but nowadays; availability is just too low to make it possible.

2 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Yeah, this used to be the best option, but nowadays; availability is just too low to make it possible.

This is my experience too unfortunately. I've been playing for just over a year now and I would still be stuck at the Dwarrowdelf cycle if I had been determined to play progression style. Some of those APs have been out of stock since before I picked up the core set.

So I switched to the "buy what's available" strategy and went with Against the Shadow and then The Dream chaser. No regrets at all about this approach.

@Jamie of Gilead

I'm from Portugal but used to purchase all my packs from Book Depository but as far as i could see in a quick search they don't have anything in stock and seems they stopped after 5th cycle (Lost Realm/Angmar Awakened).

Still sometimes while searching for other products, i seem to find that they have some in stock.

It's an UK based site and never had any problem with their orders.

CJMatos

The board game prices site is pretty helpful.

https://www.bgextras.co.uk has a well organized site, each cycle broken out.