Chain/Wire Weapons

By Kylen2, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

(Mind you, all references to chain, unless otherwise noted, mean a LENGTH of chain, not the weapon type)

Me and one my game buddies were talking, and pondered something. What kind of ruling would a blade of some kind (Probably a modified sword, or at least a long knife) on a chain, or length of cloth, or wire, measuring 2 meters have? Specifically, we were pondering this for use with a Moritat Reaper, but we wouldn't mind some idea of if this would work/wouldn't work.

In short, chain weapons/reach weapons/thrown weapons with a wire to pull the blade back, yes or no?

You could probably use any melee type weapon and just give it the Flexible quality and give it a Range of 1 - 3 meters. As for pricing or availability that's really up to GM discretion.

Personally I'd probably rule any melee weapon over 4 or 5 kg would require a certain SB to wield one-handed in this way without penalty. I'd also make it an exotic weapon type. But those are really (again) up to the GM to decide.

Edit: Upon further reading... (Mind you, my Literacy Skill is basic. lengua.gif )

If you mean just a cord or chain to pull back a thrown weapon after it is used then I'm not really sure if the RAW covers anything like it anywhere. There is the Volonx Thunderclap in the IH that returns to the thrower on a miss if they succeed a Challenging Agility test to catch, but this might be a whole different animal than what you want. They don't have any cord or chain. This would fall into the realm of some house rules most likely. lengua.gif

Or you could just use a Grox Whip from Rogue Trader (with, no doubt, modified stats - as is, a Grox Whip nearly rivals a Greatsword in damage, and is Flexible and can parry to boot).

A mono-groxwhip is an awesome weapon.

from france

could a metallic chain weapon can have the chock quality? like the one of the sister repentia.

happy daze you quote varnias thybald do you know him? does he is in good health?

The Neuro-whip is a shocking flexible weapon with unusual reach. I believe it is found in the Inquisitor's Handbook. There is also already a (primitive) Shocking weapon that is actually a length of chain, also in the Inquisitor's Handbook.

Unusualsuspect said:

The Neuro-whip is a shocking flexible weapon with unusual reach. I believe it is found in the Inquisitor's Handbook. There is also already a (primitive) Shocking weapon that is actually a length of chain, also in the Inquisitor's Handbook.

As is the shock falil in DH core... though it dosn't have the reach of the whip ;-)

This was really more to figure out how to make something like a kuri-gama or similar chain weapon, which is why I was wondering ideas on how to run such a thing.

Kylen said:

This was really more to figure out how to make something like a kuri-gama or similar chain weapon, which is why I was wondering ideas on how to run such a thing.

As was mentioned by Unknown, a grox whip is what you're looking for. Just change its name.

Well, the best idea would be to look for precedents involved with a weapon like a kuri-gama and how it is used. Personally, I've mostly seen anime versions of the weapon (It's the sickle with a chain attached, right?), which are generally used in a manner that defy physics and, for most intents and purposes, probably don't represent the weapon as it is actually used.

So clearly, the first thing you'll want to do is figure out "How do I want my version of the kuri-gama to function?"

If vague memory serves, I'd imagine it was used in reality with a swinging chain in one hand and the sickle in the other, using the chain to trap and possibly deflect the opponent's weapons while the sickle struck the opponent.

In this case, I'd suggest it be treated as a two handed weapon which could be used as two weapons with separate profiles for the purposes of Two Weapon Wielding. On a whim, I'd suggest 1d10 I, Balanced, Flexible, Primitive for the Chain side and 1d10 R for the sickle side (It is just a one-handed scythe after all).

According to anime's version, however, the sickle was somehow thrown with incredible speed and accuracy, whirled around in a gory tornado of bladed death - admittedly, that's perhaps a bit more fitting within our Grimdark Realm of Grimdarkiness.

At that point, I'd borrow from the Grox Whip a few things, like the "range" of 2-3 meters and Flexible. Perhaps a two-handed weapon with 1d10 +1 R, Flexible seems about right. Depending on the focus, you might add the Defensive quality given the more theatrical uses of the weapon often have it being very, very "deflective" of incoming attacks.

I would not actually use the Grox Whip stats as presented, given it's clear superiority over every other one-handed weapon in the game (with the exception of defense, and that's what Shields are for!) and ALMOST all two-handed weapons to boot. I personally don't feel the stats of the weapon are balanced against other primitive weapons. Were you to put the Grox Whip into its own Exotic Weapon Proficiency category, that might perhaps balance things out a bit, akin to Chain or Power proficencies.