Farewell post from FFG founder

By FrogTrigger, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Christian T. Peterson, who was one of the founding members of FFG, has called it quits apparently.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/12/31/farewell-and-game-well/

I wonder what this means for the future of FFG? Business as usual? Maybe some more transparency in terms of product release schedules?

I personally hope that the personal shuffle also sees them shuffle the way FFG has been doing business lately.

I have the proverbial bad feeling about this. It would not necessary to be a genious to understand that a talent as him should never, ever, would be lost by a company.

No way.

Sorry did I say anywhere in my post that there should be or was 'panic'? If I implied that, I apologize for misleading you.

When someone retires, someone else takes their spot. Which usually means a shuffle all the way down the ladder. I'm looking forward to seeing what, if any, impact this has on FFG as a company. I know as a community, the SKIRMISH community, we've been a bit let down with the lack of communication between FFG OP and it's player base. This goes for several FFG games, but I will only speak for IA as it is the one I am a part of.

Well, "called it quits apparently" sounded like it was a surprise for you, while it has been known to the FFG organization, and hopefully there have been ongoing changes throughout the latter half of 2018.

(FFG OP hasn't been known to be very communicative even before, so hopefully it will change.)

Edited by a1bert

I'm going to put some hope that some of the communication (or lack there of) and blunders with OP are due to the ongoing transition. Hopefully they get it sorted out.

Hmm, that's a good way of looking at it.

Hopefully whoever takes over will help institute some stronger PR strategies.

I have no doubt that Christian was a great game designer. Having observed the way his company was ran the last few years, i don't know if he was a great CEO. Obviously, that's just speculation, but any time there is change is an opportunity for them to get better. I hope they do.

I don't see any reason to be concerned. This sounds like a pretty standard and rather orderly transition following a merger like the one between Asmodee and FFG. Dude stuck around for almost five year following the merger to make sure the handoff went smoothly, and now he's going off to do something else. Probably retire early, live off stock options, and just work as a "consultant" for other companies. The only thing that's the least bit concerning is that there is no word on who is successor is, despite the fact that this departure has been "long planned" according to that BGG post, but that could be explained by the fact that the company is going to be split into publishing and distribution arms henceforth, so comparing people in those roles to Peterson would be an apples and oranges comparison.

@FrogTrigger

Respectfully, I think @a1bert was just pointing out that CP's departure was announced quite some time ago. He was also absent from the last InFlight and I believe at the GenCon 2017 InFlight he did the torch-passing to Navarro.

I don't think anyone is trying to jump up anyone's behind here with a "gotcha".

All that is to say that his departure is not exactly breaking news to the public and I'm sure the transition has been working itself out for a while. Having met the man in person and talked about his journey, I can say that his OG designer-Boardgame presence will be missed in the field, assuming he doesn't appear in the next year at the helm of a Kickstarter for some passion projects he's been back burning for a while.

The real shocker is that this wasn't brought up in the Extended vs Hyperspace dumpster fire that is currently roaring over on the X-Wing boards, because it would make excellent kindling.

This is old news, announced back in July that he would be leaving at the end of 2018.

Also he isn't actually the CEO of FFG, he resigned that position back in 2014 to be the CEO of FFG's parent company Asmodee. His absence from FFG has been felt since then, it's why we're seeing a lot more FFG games moving into the prequel era. From what I've read, Peterson was a staunch OT only, no-prequels-ever voice at FFG.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:42 PM, Tvboy said:

From what I've read, Peterson was a staunch OT only, no-prequels-ever voice at FFG.

I will miss him sorely. 😛

Screw that, prequels can extend the life of the games we love. I'm planning to weave prequel stuff into my RPG campaign, having prequel Obi-Wan reach to the Rebels through a Holocron, sending them on an unfinished Clone Wars era mission that will have repercussions on their current story lines dealing with the Empire.

I am not sure if I will ever be a HUGE fan of the movies, but the CONTENT from the OT is still good and has many purposes.