Next expansion predictions

By StarWookiee, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

I would’ve assumed FF would wait to release another expansion until WoW finally came out, but with the final season of the show coming out next year I think it would be foolish to not drop an expansion then. In fact, they should’ve dropped Mother of Dragons with the premiere, after it ends there’s going to be a lot of people thirsty for more and this game is probably the best source of entertainment (imo). Whether they wait for the books or the show, what do you actually expect from the next expansion?

For me:

- definitely a White Walker expansion. That’s the only big thing we’re missing now that we’ve got MoD. Even if it’s simply a big Wildling Threat revamp, which would be less game breaking, I think this will come with the final book. (They could do a two player scenario, one is the Westerosi houses and the other is the Whites. It could be objective based (like hold King’s Landing on turn 7, like the FFC expansion). Perhaps simply a map expansion that takes you beyond the wall, and the Wildlings or Whites as a vassal style house for Targaryen (in my group, Targaryen got screwed over Everytime they moved and they didn’t touch the North, so this might encourage them to move up). Maybe a Night’s watch system. This is the only large expansion that I can see ever coming

- another DwD or FFC style card expansion

- House Tully, I’ve been looking at the board a lot and I think (with a sizeable overlay) that splitting Lannisport, Riverrun and Stoney Sept and adding a new sea border (from the top right hand corner of Lannisport to the centre of Seagard) is definitely enough to balance it. As long as the castles and tokens are in the right place. Interestingly, Lannister always has a huge advantage in my group because my players aren’t as aggressive in the early game as myself, so this would balance my group’s games. Even if they’re introduced as a neutral force (like a vassal, but perhaps controlled by Targaryen? Or just an immobile force that holds Riverrun down permanently (until they’re taken by Greyjoy or Lannister). Either way, it’s possible

- a second version of FFC, that doesn’t require four players, it can be played with 3-7 due to the Vassals, but the objectives would need updating.

- A Third Edition, I don’t expect this until at least A Dream Of Spring drops. But, when it does come, I think th standard board needs to be the yet to be released Deluxe Mother Of Dragons gamemat. And there should (instead of overlays) be spaces in the board to slot in either the original Vale or the MoD Vale, and the same with the Riverlands if they ever do Tully.

But those expansions are rather minor in comparison to MoD, so do you think FF is going to miss the ideal release times? (With the finale of the show and the final few books)

What would you want? What do you expect? When do you expect it?

Winds of Winter is taking maybe what 10 years? A Dream of Spring will likely be another 10 if we are lucky 😞

If FFG holds the licence I would think we should see a Third Edition in the next 5 years depending on sales.

Personally I love the game where its at with MoD. If a third edition came out I'd be glad to scoop that one up too but I am not in a rush. If a Third Edition comes out I would like to see more detailed playing pieces and more terrain features to mix up the fighting some. I'd like to see improvements expanded upon. Being able to build, raise, and rebuild castes would be fun without having to go through the Iron Bank. I'd also go with marginally bigger screens if I could.

I am so glad I ordered the playmat. I'd like to get one for TI4 that has the plannets on it. It would be nice to get some similar to the ones they do with IA but with Tournament Balance in mind.

10 hours ago, Dusty27 said:

Winds of Winter is taking maybe what 10 years? A Dream of Spring will likely be another 10 if we are lucky 😞

If FFG holds the licence I would think we should see a Third Edition in the next 5 years depending on sales.

Personally I love the game where its at with MoD. If a third edition came out I'd be glad to scoop that one up too but I am not in a rush. If a Third Edition comes out I would like to see more detailed playing pieces and more terrain features to mix up the fighting some. I'd like to see improvements expanded upon. Being able to build, raise, and rebuild castes would be fun without having to go through the Iron Bank. I'd also go with marginally bigger screens if I could.

I am so glad I ordered the playmat. I'd like to get one for TI4 that has the plannets on it. It would be nice to get some similar to the ones they do with IA but with Tournament Balance in mind.

I like the idea of having small improvements and terrain effects, but I fear that’d over complicate the game. I think that the second edition’s design is great, perhaps I can see a “Complete Edition” containing the MoD board and FFC/DwD. I think a rerelease of the Second Edition is more plausible within the next 5 years. Third Edition, I would think, would come with A Dream Of Spring. Before then we can have card scenarios for Robert’s Rebellion, Aegon’s Conquest, Winds of Winter, Dream of Spring e.t.c. I’m really starting to lean towards a two player White Walker scenario with the release of DoS

I don't really want any new mechanics. I think the vassal system works well enough to add Houses though. What I would like to see:

1) A revised Gameboard/Map: From a thematic standpoint, they really chose some weird locations (Vale, Storm's End/Cape Wrath), and it's distorted. This is especially important if they add more houses. Specifically focus on Westerns (keep the Essos add-on separate, for idea below). Make it work for more houses (add the Dreadfort, upgrade Storm's End - make Baratheon starting position).

2) Add House Tully (Dark Blue), House Bolton (Pink) and maybe House Hightower (Grey). I'd be fine with just the 2 houses added/no Hightower, or Frey is possible; but, map is tight in that area. Plenty of room in the North for Bolton though.

3) New set of cards with characters based on time of Robert's rebellion. Start the Targaryen's in Dragonstone and King's Landing.

4) Extra set of cards to "catch up" the new Houses with the other houses for the standard decks and Dance. Preferably, update some cards for Stark since they shouldn't have Bolton or Blackfish in that deck after adding those houses.

5) The only new rules I'd like: something allowing use of normal house cards for vassals as alternate to the vassal house cards and/or a new start/"quick" 6 round scenario similar to Dance for the 10 or 11 houses. Also, an option with Targaryen starting on Dragonstone, Baratheon Storm's End, and no Essos board.

6) Last option would maybe be a new vassal deck if they don't incorporate rules for house cards. If they go with new vassal cards, from a theme standpoint, use the "minor" house characters that changed sides a lot: Plenty of Freys for this, Alester Florent, Spicer/Westerling.

Hello,
I would just add two elements :

1. All house cards would be neutral and all have a unique number. There would be a book that would offer different scenarios with a different number of players each time and, depending on the scenario, each player would have a series of cards to take in his hand at the beginning of the game. The fact that all backs of cards are neutral, could sometimes steal the cards to other players, lose or win. One could introduce a rule of weddings that would add characters to his hand.

2. Added night guard: the wall is passive in the game and corresponds to the cards drawn at the beginning of the turn. The night guard could be a player with specific goals. He wins the game if he succeeds in rebuilding all the fortresses on the wall. It would be necessary to find the interactions with the other players and the ways of rebuilding the wall, but it could work.

Now that the show has ended (and reasonable predictions can be made as to the outcome of the books), which scenarios do you anticipate will be coming with the next two novels?

Obviously, spoilers for those that have not finished the show.

I can see:

1.) A three player variant with Stark, Targaryen and Lannister. (Maybe even a two player variant, Stark VS Lannister)

2.) Perhaps, if we ever see an expansion capitalising on the White Walker’s popularity, a three player scenario with Targaryen/Stark, Lannister and The Others. Perhaps, the White Walker player cannot enter the map until the wall is overcome. E.g. A Card based battle between that player and the other two for control of the wall. The vassal system could be used to control neutral Free Folk. The Targaryen/Stark players could be able to freely cross the Wall to prematurely attack the White Walker player (as in Season 7 Episode 6, Beyond The Wall). This could simply be an expansion in the Wildling Deck, with harsher consequences and more difficult challenges to overcome.

I don’t see an expansion to Essos, as the Lore is either not as clear or doesn’t suit the mechanics. But...

3.) With the prequel shows, perhaps Prequel scenarios are inbound

Interesting topic. I've not given this much thought. I love the game (despite waiting forever for the playmat), but it is difficult for me to get people together that want to invest in the length of time to play this. Just some random thoughts:

• A variant on the win conditions. I liked the A Feast for Crows variant using objectives. I certainly don't speak for everybody, but my friends are more casual gamers and they enjoyed his variant more.
  • Updated the Wilding Deck would be great. No complaints about the current deck, it's just there isn't a lot of variety.
  • Adding White Walkers for someone to play would seem to defeat the purpose of some of the tokens that are currently used, but I would love to see them added somehow. Also, I haven't given it much thought on how to address the problem of the White Walkers being more a burden on players in the North. Different win conditions? A different tracker that would cause everyone to lose if they didn't address?
  • I like the simplicity of the plastic units, but there seems to design space there. Maybe manufacturing them is a problem? Don't know. But having different plastic units for different houses would be pretty cool. Dothraki, Golden Company, Wilding Army, etc.
  • There also seems to be design space to add additional house cards from which to choose (limiting the amount and type that can be used during the game, of course).
  • Release the playmat!

I created a new playmat with an expanded area around Riverrun (divided by rivers) it is safer for both Lannister and Tully on their northern front.

https://rpggeek.com/image/3687465/king-balrog03

Whether you create a Tully expansion for yourself or FFG comes through eventually with an overlay- you are welcome to use mine if you like.

Just print up the map on a decent stock paper and cut it out, or, just use this battlemap instead.

It is compatible with mother of dragons, but the map itself was made for a variant of Robert's Rebellion.

Edited by King_Balrog

That's very cool. Thanks for the share.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:21 PM, King_Balrog said:

I created a new playmat with an expanded area around Riverrun (divided by rivers) it is safer for both Lannister and Tully on their northern front.

https://rpggeek.com/image/3687465/king-balrog03

Whether you create a Tully expansion for yourself or FFG comes through eventually with an overlay- you are welcome to use mine if you like.

Just print up the map on a decent stock paper and cut it out, or, just use this battlemap instead.

It is compatible with mother of dragons, but the map itself was made for a variant of Robert's Rebellion.

This is a perfect example of how Tully can be effectively integrated. I see so many alternative maps with Black uncrossable lines, instead of Rivers. Using the other three rivers from the Trident can split up the centre of the map easily. Moving the Lannister home from Lannisport down to Casterly Rock, splitting up a few of the larger centre spaces. It’s not actually that difficult.

Unfortunately I can’t see FFG integrating this in the second edition, perhaps an updated map in the Third Edition in like 10 years when Dream Of Spring comes out. I can’t see the benefit of adding Tully to the current game, I’m not sure it’s necessary for balance at the moment. Although, moving the Lannister’s down gives Greyjoy some extra room to manoeuvre and it puts pressure on Tyrell (the house with the most space to move around, it creates a stronger conflict). House Tully probably wouldn’t be able to win, but as a Vassal house they’d put pressure on the central houses from different angles. It’d probably make the games even more diverse, due to the multitude of new/different options.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:10 PM, StarWookiee said:

This is a perfect example of how Tully can be effectively integrated. I see so many alternative maps with Black uncrossable lines, instead of Rivers. Using the other three rivers from the Trident can split up the centre of the map easily. Moving the Lannister home from Lannisport down to Casterly Rock, splitting up a few of the larger centre spaces. It’s not actually that difficult.

Unfortunately I can’t see FFG integrating this in the second edition, perhaps an updated map in the Third Edition in like 10 years when Dream Of Spring comes out. I can’t see the benefit of adding Tully to the current game, I’m not sure it’s necessary for balance at the moment. Although, moving the Lannister’s down gives Greyjoy some extra room to manoeuvre and it puts pressure on Tyrell (the house with the most space to move around, it creates a stronger conflict). House Tully probably wouldn’t be able to win, but as a Vassal house they’d put pressure on the central houses from different angles. It’d probably make the games even more diverse, due to the multitude of new/different options.

Tully is all about alliances anyways according to the lore. They are not a "weak" house, but, are surrounded by potential hostile forces, thus, they marry their children off to other great houses to assist in future wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AslPV6SB6mY

Edited by King_Balrog
On 6/5/2019 at 2:52 PM, King_Balrog said:

Tully is all about alliances anyways according to the lore. They are not a "weak" house, but, are surrounded by potential hostile forces, thus, they marry their children off to our great houses to assist in future wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AslPV6SB6mY

Tully as a neutral force could be interesting. Perhaps with the other houses competing for their allegiance for the first four rounds of the game. For example, one point for being on top of each of the tracks, one point for being top of the supply track, one for the Victory track, one for the most Power Tokens, perhaps a bidding can take place for additional points. Most points wins, obviously. House Tully allies with the most powerful player, and the winner of their allegiance can spawn units in Riverrun immediately. That could add an interesting dynamic to the early game, players competing to be top of the tracks, then the newly spawned units would really mess with the Riverlands area right iron the middle of the game. Could be an interesting addition