First impressions..

By FrogTrigger, in Heroes of Terrinoth

Got this game for Christmas and finally got around to playing some games with some friends this weekend. I originally played the first scenario multiple times to learn the game, then with three minds thinking together we worked the kinks out on our first play through as well. I believe I have a pretty good understanding of how the game plays at this point.

I never played Warhamemr Quest, and I am actually glad I didn't because from what I have read it seems people are trying to hard to compare the two games, or hold this game to that standard. This is Heroes of Terrinoth, a brand new game, full stop. :D

Overall I find the game mechanics are pretty fun, smooth and easy to learn. You are able to jump right in and immerse yourself in the quest. I like the fact that not every quest has to be linked in some giant over arching campaign. It makes for a great games night multiplayer co-op game that doesn't require a tonne of commitment. My group had it down in a few rounds of the first mission and off we went.

I find the overall quests to be pretty on par for FFG. Nothing overly dramatic or mind blowing, but just pretty steady generic fantasy, which is OK that is what I am looking for.

I did find the core to be a little limited in terms of choices for hero customization, especially if you plan to play with the same group through all 8 quests. But I understand FFG has an aggressive expansion model that has already got me on a few games. So I don't doubt the lack of customization or hero/class choices will last for very long.

I thought the supplied enemy/nemesis selection was great, with a lot of different choices to mix things up. The overall deck building setup is a really good system that allows for a lot of variation with limited choices. I am glad there is so much to choose from in the core as that means we can expect a lot of variation to continue through the expansions.

I'd give the game a solid 6.5/10, it's entertaining and fun. It exists in a decently written, while a little cartoony, established semi-traditional fantasy world. I do find it lacks a little bit of depth, which I know is by design, this isn't meant to be a full deck building game. I just felt like there could have been a bit more to the mechanics. Would very much recommend for any games group looking to try something a bit different.

Yeah, I'm hoping they announce expansions soon which are inter-connected campaigns.

Perhaps, upgrade to different dice? Or maybe you can get to Level 5 from leveling up? Of course, new characters/classes... maybe a little bit of branching for quest locations?

I like how it's faster than Arkham Horror LCG (from a deck-building perspective).

Edited by IceQube MkII