[Ruling] Mirumoto Daisho

By Bayushi Shunsuke, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

I have a character with a Mirumoto Daisho only.
I play a Fine Katana on him.
I now have an 'illegal game state' (mirroring the rules on Restricted keyword)
However, I cannot see any reason why it would be legal at this point to discard the Mirumoto Daisho.
As far as I can see, my only option is to discard the katana.

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

I have a character with a Mirumoto Daisho only.
I play a Fine Katana on him.
I now have an 'illegal game state' (mirroring the rules on Restricted keyword)
However, I cannot see any reason why it would be legal at this point to discard the Mirumoto Daisho.
As far as I can see, my only option is to discard the katana.

Logic is sound. Official ruling will be "You can play other restricted attachments on the character, but they will immediately be discarded.

[Tyler Parrott: October 11, 2018]

I have a question I would like to ask about the diasho.

Let's present a situation that can happen, and consider what happens and when. First, a friendly character has 2 Fine Katanas. Now we play the MD on this character, two things happen, firstly u have the restricted rule, which states,"

If at any time a character has three or more restricted attachments, that character's controller must immediately choose and discard one of the restricted attachments on the character as soon as the illegal game state occurs."

And u also have the MDs ability going off at the same or even earlier time.

So, what happens. On the one hand, you would save a whole mess of headache by just discarding the diasho. But because u have triggered the restricted clause, at worst one would have two drop both Fine Katanas because of the MDs ability, and then ALSO discard the MD because of the restricted rule u triggered.

And lastly, same situation, but the target is an enemy character with two Fine Katanas.

Thoughts?

Edited by Velietha

Hi Shunsuke,

I raise up this thread.

Then, u wrote than a restricted attachment who's attached to a character with a Mirumoto Daisho is immediatly discarded. Meaning that the MD effect apply before the rulebook effect in this case. Is it right ?

On the other way, which of those two effects applied first when the MD is attached to a character with one or two restricted attachment on it?

Thx in advance.

Best regards,

GBB.

Edited by GetBackBaby

I hope this reply I got from Tyler explains the process.

"When you attach a Mirumoto Daishō to a character with 2 other restricted attachments, both the constant ability on the Daishō and the rules text in the rulebook (regarding restricted) are applied simultaneously. You may choose any of the 3 attachments to be discarded to the rulebook effect, but the other two restricted attachments will still be discarded, even if you choose to discard the Daishō to the rulebook effect—all three attachments would be discarded simultaneously in that instance.

If you put a Daishō on an opponent’s character with 2 restricted attachments, both of those attachments would be discarded per the Daishō and that opponent can choose whether they want to discard the Daishō or one of the other attachments to the rulebook effect."

I asked a follow up after this about putting a diasho on a guy who already has a diasho, asking if they discard each other, he replied "They do"

@Velietha thx for this answer. :)

Question sent to Tyler:

You've previously answered that Iaijutsu Master (and I would assume other such Reactions) can change the bid value to 1 or 5.

Is this because the constant ability on the Daisho (...cannot bid 1 or 5...) falls under the the dot point under Honor in the RRG?

• If a card ability references a player's honor bid, the ability is referencing the current setting on the player's honor dial.

Does this mean that Ide Negotiator cannot be used to change the bid to 1 or 5?
(change the bid on your dial to a value 1 higher or lower than its current value)

What about Akodo Kage, when you bid 1 or 5, and control the Daisho?
(set that opponent's honor dial to be equal to yours)

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

Question sent to Tyler:

You've previously answered that Iaijutsu Master (and I would assume other such Reactions) can change the bid value to 1 or 5.

Is this because the constant ability on the Daisho (...cannot bid 1 or 5...) falls under the the dot point under Honor in the RRG?

• If a card ability references a player's honor bid, the ability is referencing the current setting on the player's honor dial.

Does this mean that Ide Negotiator cannot be used to change the bid to 1 or 5?
(change the bid on your dial to a value 1 higher or lower than its current value)

What about Akodo Kage, when you bid 1 or 5, and control the Daisho?
(set that opponent's honor dial to be equal to yours)

Mirumoto Daishō only cares about which number you select on your dial when you’re doing your initial honor bid. Using card abilities to alter the value on your dial (or change the bid your dial on your dial) after the fact aren’t affected.

[Tyler Parrott, Apr 16 2019]

This may be a dumb question but what happens if a character has 1 fine katana and a player plays a daisho on said character? Would the daisho clear the katana and then game effect discard daisho?

5 hours ago, Felwyn said:

This may be a dumb question but what happens if a character has 1 fine katana and a player plays a daisho on said character? Would the daisho clear the katana and then game effect discard daisho?

Just the Fine Katana is discarded. There is nothing on that card that affects the Mirumoto Daisho.