Soliciting feedback for collecting statistics for Arkham Horror (3rd edition)

By ricedwlit, in Arkham Horror

To the best of my knowledge there isn’t yet an online form that people can use to record play stats for Arkham Horror 3rd edition like the ones Tibs currently runs for AH 2nd ed. (If there is please let me know). The possibility of having one was raised in a separate post for this forum but as best I can tell never reached a resolution.

Since I’m not a novice at working with Google Spreadsheets, I figured I’d take a try at creating a form (shamelessly cribbing from the style Tibs used for Eldritch Horror).

Most of the work is already done with just one major item left to figure out. Namely, how to categorize “victory”? In AH 3rd edition the victory really varies by scenario and there is no cut and dry “we won by doing X”.

One option would be to just have a single “Victory” option. But I feel that this doesn’t really do justice to calling out when the investigators do really well versus just barely managed to scrape by. For example:

In Approach to Azathoth, did you need to travel into the future? Or did you manage things before they got that bad? Similarly, did you seal the breach before Cthulhu appeared or did you have to take down the big C. himself?

In Eldritch Horror victory could be easily segmented: you either won before the Ancient one awoke or not. Something similar could be done here: Have a “Victory (without facing Epic Monster)” and “Victory by defeating Epic Monster”. However this is still not perfect.

The only way to win “Feast of Umordhoth” is to defeat Umordhoth. Whereas the “last ditch” victory for “Approach of Azathoth” doesn’t involve facing Azathoth, but instead going to the future.

But at least it allows us to divide victories into types.

One option I considered and rejected would be to have branching questions depending on which scenario was played. But that would be a lot of work and there is still the problem of summarizing the results without spoilers.

So, if you have read this far and have any thoughts I’d love to hear them. To recap, the main question I am grappling is whether to have a single option for reporting victory vs. multiple. Of course all other thoughts are welcome (things to add, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Note: this is cross posted to BGG. I will be reading replies to both so no need to answer in both places.

Edited by ricedwlit
Updated title to make clear that form is not yet created. :)

Quick update: Incorporating feedback from the BGG forum the form should be ready to share in another day or so - just working on making sure all the data that is collected is can be analyzed properly.

If anyone has some last thoughts please share them. When the form is ready will post in a new thread.

Could you just win or you lose be enough?

3 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

Could you just win or you lose be enough?

The input form as it now stands will initially ask which scenario you played and depending on your answers some follow up questions specific to just the one you played, including did you win/lose. For some scenarios if you win there will be some additional questions (that you can skip if you wish) where you can provide more details. The stats page that I'll be sharing will minimize spoilers, with the main page just breaking out 'win vs. lose' and no scenario specific details. Those who are interested can go to a specific tab in the sheet (marked as having spoilers) to learn more if they wish.