Character Generator Software

By WildKnight, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

I'm a big fan of Oggdudes generator for Star Wars. Anything like that exist or in the works?

For no, nothing. Let's wait

Anyway, you can already find editable pdf file

Edited by Victarion13

I have the editable PDFs, they're nice, but I really like character generator software. Always have, ever since i got the old AD&D 2 CD Rom

On 12/25/2018 at 8:36 AM, WildKnight said:

I have the editable PDFs, they're nice, but I really like character generator software. Always have, ever since i got the old AD&D 2 CD Rom

Oh man, ad&d core rules was great! I still use it for my sadly infrequent games down 2e memory lane.

I use roll20 for playing and managing characters in L5R 5th edition (it has a nice character sheet, rolls dice, calculates derived traits, can be customized), and an excel spreadsheet for tracking NPCs. I used to use map tools rpg, which was great and customizable, but ran out of steam tinkering with persistent networking issues and version differences among players.

I'm not aware of other software that comes close to Core Rules II.

I made a spreadsheet as a makeshift character generator, you're welcome to try it. Has all clans, schools, advantages & techniques from the core book, but I've yet to add inventory management & Mantis clan supplement.

On 1/4/2019 at 2:55 AM, Zolt51 said:

I made a spreadsheet as a makeshift character generator, you're welcome to try it. Has all clans, schools, advantages & techniques from the core book, but I've yet to add inventory management & Mantis clan supplement.

Excellent I'll take a look. Thanks for all the effort!

I really like end-to-end character generators, especially those that allow you to edit a character.

TweakBox word counter Tutuapp

Edited by shiva.1995

i'd like an NPC/Opponent editor.
with all kinds of demeanor choices, ability choices, easy to add templates etc.

On 1/4/2019 at 2:55 AM, Zolt51 said:

I'm liking the spreadsheet, but I've got a small problem.

I'm trying to translate a much of prior-edition pre-gens to this system, and when I tried expanding the number of columns for characters the new columns don't want to work. Most of the fields can be dealt with by showing formulas, and copying them over, but some of the fields suddenly start complaining about circular calculations, and the dropdown lists aren't behaving themselves.

Can we get a version that can expand the number of characters per sheet?

Or maybe one character per sheet, but allow us to replicate that sheet manually? (That would also leave more room for the manual-entry fields, and better display of some of the longer bits of text.)

Thanks

It's a bit tedious to add extra columns unfortunately as a lot of the drop-down lists have to be re-linked manually. I might up it to 10 or 12 when I have time.

Keep in mind you can make 6 characters, copy-paste their finished stats somewhere else, then make 6 new. I might add a small script to do just that.

Edited by Zolt51
On 1/13/2019 at 2:22 AM, Zolt51 said:

It's a bit tedious to add extra columns unfortunately as a lot of the drop-down lists have to be re-linked manually. I might up it to 10 or 12 when I have time.

Keep in mind you can make 6 characters, copy-paste their finished stats somewhere else, then make 6 new. I might add a small script to do just that.

That's actually why I suggested trying to make it a single-character sheet that can be replicated by copying the sheet. (Theoretically, that would mean all of the links to lists stay the same, or are updated with the new sheet's name.) Of course, I'm not the spreadsheet wizard you are, so I may be mistaken on that count, as it didn't work when I tried it, but I had managed to break fairly large swathes of the sheet in the process of trying to add new character columns.

On 12/24/2018 at 1:10 PM, WildKnight said:

I'm a big fan of Oggdudes generator for Star Wars. Anything like that exist or in the works?

There is now! Check out https://github.com/dashnine/PaperBlossoms/releases 🙂

19 hours ago, WildKnight said:

Thank you!

Of course! Hope it helps 😄 In case you didn't see it, I pushed a new release this morning. It's mainly meant for bugfixes, but has a nice enhancement to the character creation wizard that might make it worth a re-download!

On 4/21/2019 at 1:06 PM, AltitudeMatters said:

Of course! Hope it helps 😄 In case you didn't see it, I pushed a new release this morning. It's mainly meant for bugfixes, but has a nice enhancement to the character creation wizard that might make it worth a re-download!

When I attempt to download this on mac, it only shows the background image. I can't access the character generator.

On 8/19/2019 at 8:54 AM, GMPercy said:

When I attempt to download this on mac, it only shows the background image. I can't access the character generator.

@GMPercy So you're seeing a field of Sakura petals? Typically, on a mac, you'll want to look on the very top bar (at the top of your monitor) and go to File->New...

Does that work?

I tried Paper Blossoms v1.2.0, and I've found some bugs :) Where would I go about posting those?