Is this game worth getting in to?

By Rebel dude, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

i play legion and i wanted to know if i should get it

I did play the SW: Legion demo once and decided to stay with Imperial Assault, I feel that they're 2 completely different games

Legion: game is played in "squads" (you move 1 figure = you move everyone in that squad together), squad distance is relatively hand-wavy, nobody cares if stormtrooper #4 in the squad is 1cm to the left or to the right of the squad leader, you use range rulers (I dislike range rulers, for similar reasons I'm not a huge fan of X-Wing) and it's a straight up battle

Legion also doesn't have any campaign mode (core campaign/mini-campaign/LotA app campaign) so I'm only comparing the skirmish mode

IA: game is played in grids so you know exactly where every figures are, no range rulers: "move 4" means actually move 4 spaces away, with some nitty-gritty IA rule like "Perform a move" is slightly different than "spending movement point" or shooting at someone isn't as simple as pick-up-the dice because you need to take into account of LOS, reroll abilities... but that's beside the point

some more details here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/256937-imperial-assault-and-legion-whats-the-difference/

Related but slightly different question.

Played Assault at a friends. Liked it over Legion. Is it difficult to get the Assault core set and all the expansions at this point?

23 minutes ago, KiloFiX9 said:

Related but slightly different question.

Played Assault at a friends. Liked it over Legion. Is it difficult to get the Assault core set and all the expansions at this point?

not sure what you mean by "difficult"

is it a lot of $$ to spend? absolutely

do you really need all the expansions? is a completely different question, there's 3 types of "expansions", big-box, small-box and blister packs, I personally own pretty much all the boxed expansions but since I never play competitive tournaments (and have no need for the actual physical miniature, we're fine with paper tokens) I don't find blister packs to be a good investment

2 hours ago, Rebel dude said:

Yes, I feel this is better than Legion.*

*it depends on what you’re after from a miniature game

thanks i will think about it 😊

23 hours ago, Rebel dude said:

thanks i will think about it 😊

easily the best game I've played. But your going to get a biased response on this board.

Edited by buckero0
3 hours ago, ricope said:

not sure what you mean by "difficult"

is it a lot of $$ to spend? absolutely

do you really need all the expansions? is a completely different question, there's 3 types of "expansions", big-box, small-box and blister packs, I personally own pretty much all the boxed expansions but since I never play competitive tournaments (and have no need for the actual physical miniature, we're fine with paper tokens) I don't find blister packs to be a good investment

Sorry, I meant availability.

Its like everything is “Not Available” from FFG.

3 minutes ago, KiloFiX9 said:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/230854-everything-is-sold-out/

you're not the first one, I think there's been at least 30-40 posts on that question

TL;DR: "Not Available" doesn't mean "Sold out" and boardgame stores still carry them, ex. coolstuffinc (CSI), miniature market (MM) for the US or 401 games/boardgamebliss(BGB)/meeplemart(MM) for Canada, no idea about other countries)

I picked it up because my friends were looking to play another tabletop RPG but everyone seems to prefer the "shooting" and "shopping" parts over the "character development" bits and this seemed like it would fit the bill. Also, it's more miniatures for me to (eventually) paint. I'm currently 3 missions into it with my group and we're enjoying it! Can't say much about the skirmish game but the RPG-lite mode is a lot of fun. If you can find it on sale for $60 or so I say go for it.

21 hours ago, KiloFiX9 said:

LoL. Seriously can't go 10 days without someone mentioning this

On 12/22/2018 at 5:23 PM, Rebel dude said:

One huge plus of this game is it’s incredibly flexible in terms of how many “modes” it supports. With the core box alone you can play:

- 1 vs many campaign mode (positioning battles and objective running amidst the backdrop of a light weight story, also allows for small character building if playing the heroes). There are a TON of missions and variety just with the core box. I have played through the core campaign several times, the replayability is pretty good as there are many variables which allow for missions to play differently

- 1 v 1 skirmish mode, build different armies and different command card decks and battle over various maps and objectives. If you only get the core box, this mode is pretty limited as you would need more figures and command cards for variety. But could certainly try it out and see if it interests you.

- vs AI with the app. The app is a free download and has different missions that allow for you to play solo or with up to 4 friends to play against the “computer”. I have played the app campaign a few times. It’s a nice option to allow for additional mechanics and gameplay. I still prefer the classic campaign, but it’s free and fun option to play coop or solo.

Point is even though the price tag is fairly high (looks like it is $89), there are a bunch of different ways to get use out of it. I have probably played hundreds of hours of this game across all modes, and I can’t wait to start my next campaign after the new year!

Firstly, these are two VERY different games, despite cosmetic similarities. At the skirmish level, where they are at their most similar, Imperial Assault is open to highly varied squad composition. The last I heard, the current meta in competitive IA was seeing a lot of use of the Spectre Cell, inclusive of 6 distinct characters. In contrast, Legion, at standard levels, sees MAYBE three characters and squads of anonymous soldiers. So, if you want games featuring a lot of characters, IA stands as a good option.

As pointed out above, IA also features numerous play modes. Of special note, I’d point out that the app supports solo play. To play Legion, you need an opponent. Imperial Assault can be played solo, whenever the mood to roll some dice strikes.

Bottom line, I’d say IA is well worth buying. Owning both, my personal experience is that I get more out of IA than I do Legion.

i've seen that a lot of people complain about legion . probably cause it just camed out this year and though they're focusing hard on it it doesnt bring much things to table since its a war game.. IA is different .. but the real point is if u have people to play with ? i say this cause i wanted to get both but i find hard to put money on it since i dont have anyone to play with or against. i know IA as solo but its only a mission with jabba expansion. Still, since u own legion i think u could get this one, since it has a different play and much more funnier than a war game. Even legions players complain about legion , mainly cause of lack of players / tournaments / competition bla bla...

i wish they updated this game with more solo missions so i could put my hands on it

1 hour ago, gmcc said:

i know IA as solo but its only a mission with jabba expansion. [..]

i wish they updated this game with more solo missions so i could put my hands on it

The Flight of the Freedom Fighter is a campaign consisting of 5 missions.
The Jabba's Realm app campaign consists of 5 missions out of 8 possible missions (including two finales which you get to choose between), and quite a few in-mission choices. (I have played the Jabba's Realm app campaign 4 times.)
When asked about Imperial Assault during the In Flight Report 2018 FFG said that they are concentrating on the app.

In addition there are two other ways to play Imperial Assault solo: RAIV and Imperial Directive.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1724080/redjaks-automated-imperial-variant-raiv-v1-under-n
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1891360/imperial-directive-soloco-op-campaign-web-app

You can also play Skirmish with players all around the world online using Vassal.

(And can play 1vsX campaigns online using the Vassal IA campaign module or TableTopSimilator, but it's hard to coordinate.)

25 minutes ago, a1bert said:

The Flight of the Freedom Fighter is a campaign consisting of 5 missions.
The Jabba's Realm app campaign consists of 5 missions out of 8 possible missions (including two finales which you get to choose between), and quite a few in-mission choices. (I have played the Jabba's Realm app campaign 4 times.)
When asked about Imperial Assault during the In Flight Report 2018 FFG said that they are concentrating on the app.

In addition there are two other ways to play Imperial Assault solo: RAIV and Imperial Directive.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1724080/redjaks-automated-imperial-variant-raiv-v1-under-n
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1891360/imperial-directive-soloco-op-campaign-web-app

You can also play Skirmish with players all around the world online using Vassal.

(And can play 1vsX campaigns online using the Vassal IA campaign module or TableTopSimilator, but it's hard to coordinate.)

thanks that will make me think then :P

Legion vs Imperial Assault;

How many friends do you need to play?

Legion; Minimum 1. max eh... 1 ??

IA; Minimum 0 (app solo). Max 4 (campaign 1vMany)

a good Skirmish community is basically the same as a good Legion community when it comes to Max numbers required. Nullify eachother for the purpose of this example.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:21 PM, KiloFiX9 said:

Amazon bro. I just bought the game and I did a lot of research and they by far have the best prices.

On 12/26/2018 at 6:14 AM, Majushi said:

Legion vs Imperial Assault;

How many friends do you need to play?

Legion; Minimum 1. max eh... 1 ??

IA; Minimum 0 (app solo). Max 4 5 (campaign 1vMany)

a good Skirmish community is basically the same as a good Legion community when it comes to Max numbers required. Nullify eachother for the purpose of this example.

A campaign with max players is 5. (but ive even seen the imperial player split his workload for a max number of 6 players)

1 (or 2) imperial players and 4 rebel players.

Edited by King_Balrog

Knowing nothing about Legion, would it be possible to have a battle with more than two sides?

A Partisans v Rebels v Empire v scum (once it becomes viable) could be amazing.

7 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Knowing nothing about Legion, would it be possible to have a battle with more than two sides?

A Partisans v Rebels v Empire v scum (once it becomes viable) could be amazing.

would that first part actually happen though?

23 minutes ago, King_Balrog said:

would that first part actually happen though?

I don't think they'd like seek each other out for a turf war or something, but say the Rebels and Empire were in the heat of a battle and the Partisans goals didn't fully align with what the Rebellion meant to accomplish I could see it happening pretty easily.

And there's at least one example in the comics of the Partisans actually considering killing some very high profile Rebels.

So, I dunno. They're not really enemies, but even if they were allies it's a super tenuous relationship. Wouldn't be hard to get them shooting at each other.

On 3/9/2019 at 3:19 AM, King_Balrog said:

A campaign with max players is 5. (but ive even seen the imperial player split his workload for a max number of 6 players)

1 (or 2) imperial players and 4 rebel players.

Max 5 players sure, but i was pointing out how many friends you would need to play. 4 friends plus you = 5.

oh, and game balance can be a serious issue if you have more players than the recommended 1 Imperial/4 rebels

Edited by Majushi