Play without trays?

By JPierson, in Runewars Rules Questions

I'm just wondering if there is a way to play without the trays in this game. I know Star Wars Legion doesn't use them and I like the idea of doing custom terrain that has different elevations and all of that. I was thinking I could just do a "squad leader" sort of like Legion and just use the range rulers that way. Are there alternate rules anywhere for playing without trays?

Thanks all!

We tried a few games without trays early on. If worked out alright. We basically tried to keep units in formation by moving the corner model of a unit first and then moving the remaining models up next to it. We defined charge ranges to be touching one model from the front rank of a unit to the enemy unit with the appropriate move template. It honestly worked great for smaller units and sucked for large units.

Also, reforming was awkward.

I prefer it with the trays, but understand the appeal of getting rid of them. I do think the game could benefit from more dynamic, partially occupiable terrain. That's essentially what the "Treacherous Ground" objective is...

Edited by QuickWhit

Trays are more or less integral to the game. By the time you revised enough rules to account for removing the trays, you end up with a different game.

51 minutes ago, Xelto said:

Trays are more or less integral to the game. By the time you revised enough rules to account for removing the trays, you end up with a different game.

I can see that and considered that as well. I'm just trying to find a way to be a little more experimental with my terrain. Thanks!