Infinities Rising

By gremlin1384, in Your Settings

Hey Genesys folks,

I’ve got a loose setting I’ve put together, by the name of “Infinities Rising.” It’s a multiversal genre-jumping setting, where each world is an archetypal example of a different genre—and “genre” is a recognized scientific fact. There’s not a whole lot to the setting at this point, but I’ve been making a bunch of character and gear cards for it, and I thought “if someone else had made these, I would want them to share.” So here they are. If you find them useful or interesting, great. If not, that’s fine too. I use this game in a social skills group for teens and young adults with disabilities, and there are some things here and there that reflect that: things are simplified, there are more visuals, there are certain rules that are designed to improve social skills. That said, you should be able to use anything in here in your own game without needing to use the social skills aspect.

These cards all use the Genesys card templates by Guillaume Tardif, modified as I found necessary for my group. All of the art is Creative Commons licensed (usually credited, but I’m sure I missed some). Please let me know if you notice that I’ve credited someone incorrectly.

Link to the public OneDrive folder where you can get this stuff: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqdvWArqhEdwhvVFy_UgIYcUQPJCCA

Infinities Rising has a number of small differences from Genesys RAW. The materials I’ve got reflect those differences, so anyone using them will need to either use these differences or reverse-engineer them.

The skill list is condensed, removing the heavy/light distinctions from weapons and cutting out a few others, mostly knowledge, and adding the knowledge skill “Infinities,” which covers information on other universes and the multiverse as a whole. The full skill list is:
Athletics
Charm
Coercion
Computers
Cool
Coordination
Deception
Discipline
Education
Infinities
Leadership
Mechanics
Medicine
Melee
Navigation
Negotiation
Perception
Piloting
Ranged
Resilience
Skulduggery
Stealth
Streetwise
Survival
Vigilance
Plus a magic skill if the character is from a universe with magic. Currently using the base 3 from the core book—Arcana, Divine, Primal—plus the Technomancer uses Computers to mimic Arcana.

Story points are renamed Infinity Points, and are essentially divided between Infinity Points, which can only be used to help a teammate, and Genre Points, which can be used on yourself but must be earned through good roleplay. There is an “Infinity Points Reference” if you’re interested.

For simplicity, it takes only 1 maneuver to change range bands.

The characters use talent trees as in the Star Wars games. All of them are built using modified versions of careers and specializations from the Star Wars games, and then modified versions of some of those talent trees. They have talent trees simply because it’s easier for inexperienced players to work with a small number of specific choices than a huge talent list.

There are multiple versions of most characters, at differing levels of XP.

Each page should be one-half of one 8 1/2x11 piece of paper, but in practice they’ve ended up shrunk and/or cut off when I print them 2 pages on 1 sheet, so they’re now set up to just print and require some cutting.

The basics of the setting:
A seemingly infinite number of universes drift through hyperspace. Each universe has its own set of probabilities that allow for different physics: some have magic, others science. Beyond what we know of physics, these probabilities change what’s likely to happen day-to-day, affecting morality, lethality—everything. These differences result in what you know as genres, and the probabilities as genre conventions. In a superhero universe, not only are superpowers possible, but the probability is that the villain will spend time monologuing. In an 80s cop movie universe, the probability is that it’s just a flesh wound. Generally, everyone lives in their own genre and in the stories that genre tends to tell.
The multiverse is unstable—occasional tears in space-time break down the barrier between worlds. These tears allow people and objects from one universe to interact with another, and sometimes people—nearly always heroes or villains, not ordinary people--cross over and can’t get back. These people are known as Infinities. Infinities have an affinity with “infinity energy,” the power flowing through hyperspace. They can open up portals between universes. They carry a certain amount of their own genre conventions with them, making it possible for wizards to cast spells or superheroes to fly no matter where they are. With some effort, they can actively push their own genre conventions on new worlds for a short time, transforming a noir death into a pulpy improbable survival or slowing the FTL space opera starship to a cyberpunk slower-than-light speed.
Unfortunately, these tears can also have much worse effects, as differing technology levels and laws of physics. Tears can cause problems with physics, both the rules of another universe having unpleasant ramifications—wizards invade non-magical universes, conventional biology exerts pressure on a Pegasus’s impossible physiology—and physics simply breaking down, with inconsistent gravity, time dilation, random shrinking and growing, etc.
There is a certain synergy formed from a team of Infinities, a bending of reality that only occurs when several of them are in one place, that they can exploit for their own benefit. It only works when they work together, otherwise the reality-bending triggers randomly and often harmfully. Many Infinities have formed a loose organization dedicated to shutting down these tears and dealing with the fallout of a crossover. Most notably, they hunt down rogue Infinities who deliberately bring objects or people from one reality to another. They do it because nobody else can.

The genres currently represented, by character:
Conspiracy: Conspiracy Theorist, Man in Black
Cyberpunk: Cyberpunk Thief, Hacker
Cyberspace (TRON-style): Technomancer
Espionage: Reformed Assassin, Superspy
Fairy Tale: Animal Trickster, Rebellious Princess
Gothic: Big Game Hunter, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
Grindhouse (70s/80s cops and criminals): Driver, Reformed Assassin, Rogue Cop
High Fantasy: Dashing Rogue, Elven Archer, Orc Berserker, Paladin, Wandering Minstrel, War Wizard
Noir: Intrepid Reporter, Reformed Crimelord
Pulp: Intrepid Reporter, Mad Scientist, Reformed Crimelord
Space Opera: Interstellar Diplomat, Space Marine
Swashbuckling: Dashing Rogue
Superhero: Champion, Modern Archer, Robot, Vigilante
Urban Fantasy: Ghost Hunter, Monster Slayer, Urban Sorcerer
Western: Gunslinger
Wizarding World (Harry Potter with the serial numbers filed off): Broom Ace, Student Wizard