Cowboys and Dinosaurs

By Jareddw, in Your Settings

This is some amazing work. I really love the art. It definitely helps invoke the feel of the setting.

Guess my sci-fi Western is gonna have some Dinos thrown in...

I absolutely love it. Like @Noahjam325 said, the artwork really sells it--I'm actually gonna see if I can't get that book for myself (what self respecting human being wouldn't buy that book?). That said, while as a veteran of the game I can understand just about all of the rules you give, there are probably a couple of places that could use a smidge of improvement.

First off, the Background tid-bits could use some better examples and specifics. Right now, they're mostly vague and open to interpretation. I'd suggest imposing some stricter limitations on what the Backgrounds entail, such as saying a Handicap always affects a given Skill (perhaps under a specific circumstance, like Setback to Perception for sight, or to Athletics for running/traveling, etc.).

I'd also definitely make Bigotry and Prejudice far more mechanical (such as taking a Setback on all checks dealing with an opposing group), and keep them as one modifier, saying that you don't get along with a certain group, with the general reasoning being "We have bad blood in the past," making current interactions uncomfortable/dangerous/downright awkward. I know that bigotry and prejudice were unfortunately rather prevalent in the time period, but we're riding dinosaurs here--I feel like keeping prejudice to around the level of blood-feud would be the most comfortable for most players (of course, some people are okay with exploring such serious topics in their games, so that's your call).

Another thing: It looks like the dinosaurs need some finishing up (some of them are missing prices and Minion/Rival/Nemesis status).

Again, I really like the concept and where it's going--all of the basic ideas are there, and are understandable enough as to be easily playable for someone who knows what they're doing. That said, there's always room for improvement, and I feel like that extra polish would help bring this to the next level. Great job on what you have, and I look forward to see how it progresses.

Yep, you're right. There are several unfinished parts of this. I must have put up the unfinished version. I can't seem to find my finished version. I'll remake it, and upload the corrected version.

For the backgrounds... I generally play with more fluidity, but I do see your point. I'll come up with some more concrete rules.

Thanks for helping me out, and spotting the flaws.

Okay. Finished the Dinosaur stats. They new version is in the same folder. Now, onto the character sheet... and miniatures.

Okay, Character Sheet is available too.

Was this inspired by Smash up?

No, it was purely inspired by the art of Shaun Keenan in his book "Dinosaurs of the Wild West." I can't praise this book enough. It looked so awesome, that I decided, I wanted to play in that sandbox.

If anybody used the supplement book here, I'd love to hear about it. I kinda envision it as a one-shot, but possibly be long-term game.

I've definitely bookmarked this for future play, but I'm currently in the middle of my own homebrew Genesys setting. So It's going to be some time before i can really give this a try.

I might use this in a future adventure arc in my ongoing campaign. I've been contemplating having the PCs discover a lost world of dinosaurs. It could be fun to have it be a lost Western world of dinosaurs.

Thanks for putting this together. It's very cool!

Have a look at 'Flesh' from the 2000AD comic. Suits this perfectly.
Cowboys time travelling back to farm Dino's for meat ('Flesh') - but Dino's bite back...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesh_(comics) info and links

I saw this post and immediately thought about the cartoon/arade Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

11 minutes ago, stormquiver said:

I saw this post and immediately thought about the cartoon/arade Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

Thanks for bumping it up. This really looks like a lot of fun. I especially like the background part, where you can buy flaws for receiving xp. This would be a great official addition to the Genesys core mechanics, one I feel missing yet.

I'm just now getting to the point of using this in my ongoing campaign, but for story reasons I need to shift it to magic users riding dinosaurs instead of cowboys, but this supplement is a big help.

One thought I've had related to the speed of mounts is that for simplicity the first maneuver that is taken by a mount they move the equivalent number of moves equal to their speed. So as you have it if a rider spends a maneuver to let a Speed 2 mount move it would normally get to move 2 maneuvers worth. I propose that it should move the equivalent of 3 maneuvers (2 for the first maneuver plus 1 for the second maneuver). This is much easier to use in personal scale combat and is easy to track and show how faster mounts really make a difference.

Just a though. Thanks again for providing this!