Lets just take a moment to reflect on how Poorly rated this app is on Google Play

By Marinealver, in X-Wing Squad Builder

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyflightgames.xwingsquadbuilder

At the time of writing this post It is a at an all time low of 1.9 X-wing flight a knock off mobile game is rated higher than this app.

Lets also mention that this is google play, which is notorious for putting an unproportional amount of 5 star ratings on all of its apps, by making the 5 star rating the default rating, if you download this app, arrantly you said it was perfect. Well you tend to get such trash apps a 4.9 or even a 3.5 at the very worst. But X-wing Squad Builder has scored <2. Think about it, in a platform that automatically assigns 5 stars to every review has now scored <2. There are so many 1s and rightfully deserved so. The app is a mess it doesn't update properly it can crash at times, 3rd party apps are just inherently better.

FFG Interactive division (or department) is in of some serious need for restructuring.

The app is not a revenue stream for FFG. If people buy the ships and play the game,

It.

Doesn't.

Matter.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

The app is not a revenue stream for FFG. If people buy the ships and play the game,

It.

Doesn't.

Matter.

and that right there is the reason why the app sucks. Granted I don't see the need to pay for it when 3rd party apps are free. But there you go.

It does matter if people want to use the points-based game, using the advertised method to do that.

Downloading the points lists is one thing, but if the app is supposed to be the correct way, it looks bad for FFG.

Also, aren't the ship slots only listed in the app, nowhere else?

It's a real shame that they've released such a piece of garbage.

But hey, Launch Bay Next is really good.

43 minutes ago, Aetherer said:

It does matter if people want to use the points-based game, using the advertised method to do that.

Downloading the points lists is one thing, but if the app is supposed to be the correct way, it looks bad for FFG.

Clearly it doesn't. The app is the same marginally useful POS as it has been since launch. None of the player-requested services (off-line use, printing, ship cloning) have been implemented as far as I know.

The app is 100% the reason I have not bought any conversion kits. If I need a 3rd party builder anyway, and the official app adds nothing to the game, I'll just keep playing with a 1.0 builder and rules.

Also, aren't the ship slots only listed in the app, nowhere else?

No, there are PDFs if you like tabulating data from multiple sources.

43 minutes ago, SDCC said:

But hey, Launch Bay Next is really good.

Yeah, it's too bad I hate doing things on my phone.

16 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

It.

Doesn't.

Matter.

It could matter. But it currently doesn't.

We've had this discussion before (Meanie and I - and I believe we are in agreeance), but for those others interested, a properly done app would build more interest in the game as it makes list building/theorizing easy, so you end up buying more ships based on your proposed designs. It would also maintain a high level of interest from all players involved. I've, quite frankly, lost a lot of interest because I don't constantly think about new fun things to put together on a functional app. This might be fine for some players, but those of us that were spoiled by excellent apps for 1.0 are dealing with some waning interest. The negativity surrounding the app is also a deterrent to new players. I specifically steered all conversation away from the app with a potential new player to ward off the inevitable tirade of poop-flinging due to the abysmal tool FFG has saddled us with. Negativity is sure to scare away most folks just looking at the game for the first time.

I'm trying to be a squeaky wheel by posting often about this - I have no idea if it's doing any good, but I'll keep doing it until something changes. I see SO much promise in a good FFG X-wing app. I had very high hopes and was shocked at how bad the app was (and IS). The game could be revolutionized with an app that does what I was thinking it would do. It could revolutionize gaming as a whole if done properly, which would mean massive revenue generated from a free app. This is actually possible, but it seems the planners at FFG didn't realize this themselves - like the design staff and the digital departments never spoke to one another. It's a real shame.

Edited by Bad Idea Comics
17 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Clearly it doesn't. The app is the same marginally useful POS as it has been since launch. None of the player-requested services (off-line use, printing, ship cloning) have been implemented as far as I know.

The app is 100% the reason I have not bought any conversion kits. If I need a 3rd party builder anyway, and the official app adds nothing to the game, I'll just keep playing with a 1.0 builder and rules.

No, there are PDFs if you like tabulating data from multiple sources.

Yeah, it's too bad I hate doing things on my phone.

My phone is the only place I list build, so it is very disappointing they can't get their act together. Fortunately others have stepped up and made some very nice apps.

We're already expected to pay more for smaller models (Resistance A-Wings, Jedi Fighters, Droid fighters). They don't need to be making money on the app, they make plenty on the game itself for which the app is a necessary component!
Why not get in touch with someone who has made a 3rd party app and work with them on making an official builder app based on their version (see Games Workshop and u-deck devs - yes THAT Games Workshop)?

It just seems as if FFG is giving a **** about the many complaints players have brought up about the official app.

I haven't tried it in months but just gave it another chance. Is there really still no way to only show ships/pilots/upgrades owned from your collection or am I missing an option somewhere? I assumed that would be added at some point as I find it utterly worthless otherwise.

On 12/11/2018 at 5:36 PM, Marinealver said:

FFG Interactive division (or department) is in of some serious need for restructuring.

You mean this one guys nephew who wrote an app in school?

On 12/13/2018 at 7:06 AM, PickleTheHutt said:

I haven't tried it in months but just gave it another chance. Is there really still no way to only show ships/pilots/upgrades owned from your collection or am I missing an option somewhere? I assumed that would be added at some point as I find it utterly worthless otherwise.

It just assumes you have enough models for a conversion kit.

16 hours ago, Wolfshead said:

You mean this one guys nephew who wrote an app in school?

It probably would have been better if that were the case. I am starting to think they subcontracted Dogbert, who gave it to Wally, who made Asok write the program.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:06 AM, PickleTheHutt said:

Not just you. Put in some stuff I wanna buy (starter and scum/rebel conversions) but I still have access to cards in, say, the new Millennium Falcon pack. It doesn’t seem to have an indication of ownership either.

Well, despite my many complaints and postings, I have yet to receive any feedback from FFG or should that be FFS.

After I have eventually got my conversion packs for the initial factions then that will be me done. Forget the newer stuff until FFG can be bothered to sort this shite out.