Adversaries - Imperial Class Deck

By Sixfreed, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Hi!

As a side-project, I've put together a new imperial class deck named 'Adversaries'. I had the idea to implement the card-replacement system into the original game.

So basically how this system works:

Adversaries are special deployment cards. They can be added normally to the open groups. They use existing figures of the game, but alter their deployment cards a bit. Adversaries can be deployed, reinforced and redeployed as normal.

The Adversaries Class Deck boosts the Imperial Player's deployment options by giving the player more threat, a bigger hand of open groups, and easier access of adversaries and villains. The goal is to bring as many fun options to the imperial player as possible.

A few examples of adversary cards:

4Z7KCpq.png fpqF1TM.png pA5IGS5.png 8ojYhTK.png pvnYA4O.png y8Y82rX.png u2CxyQD.png tgqK0nw.png HYMjb3j.png

And here's the class deck:

qAS2WPe.png AkVK6UB.png iibBCK6.png c6pF7vA.png hbAgS6k.png rcEgJI2.png QDX5sZ2.png MTWz5hj.png 6dDW2xS.png 7wly6GF.png

Clarification: once Diversified armies or Elite Squadrons have been chosen, the other one cannot be chosen.

And a side note: I just realized that I was really hectic in the format of the card titles (like in using capital letters). Will make it uniform later on.

Please share your thoughts and ideas. I don't really see how strong I made this deck. The idea would be to give the imperial player more options then usual and use the normally neglected ones also.

some things about the class cards

I'm really really confused on the 0xp Mil Adapt, "when a group is deployed anytime other than optional deployments"? A deployment is something you can do and you can deploy new groups as part of the end-of-round status phase, mission trigger sometimes allows you to resolve a sudden deployment in the middle of the round, so this can only be used as part of the status phase then?

"instead of deploying the group, do X and resolve an optional deployment", so what's the difference with just saying "do X"?

and if it can only be triggered as part of the status phase, why mention "resolve an optional deployment"? it's not really an "optional deployment", it's part of the status phase

1xp DA: 1st half is an interesting restriction, so normally I can bring anything, with it I can no longer bring in eStorm + rStorm. 2nd half I think is way too good for 1xp: this would mean I can bring in eJets as 5/3 instead of 7/4? and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to keep track of phantom numbers (reminding my players "uh btw that eJet is 5/3 not 7/4 because it came from DA")

1xp ES: so with first half I can bring in 2x rOfficer + eOfficer and they all count as 1? 2nd half I still think it's too good for 1xp

1xp UF: okay

2xp AoV: feels a bit weird, first half is the same as the 0xp Nemeses deck starter card and 2nd half rarely happens, if at all. I would buff it but right now this is nowhere worth 2xp

2xp DE: "instead of that group's deployment card"? didn't really understand this card, but if it's "deploy its adversary version" it'd be a deplete (once per mission) to get perhaps 2-3 threats, I don't see this is worth 2xp

3xp EA: like this, needs some playtesting

3xp EW: the abilities are powerful but it's an attachment after all so only one group can use it, I would classify this as perhaps 2xp, based on the 3xp Shock Troopers from Military Might deck

4xp MS: like the idea, needs some playtesting, it'll be an additional 8-12 bonus threat for every mission after buying it but it is 4xp and Imp gets it overtime so it might evens out

4xp QS: confused on "during open deployment"? do you mean "all open deployment groups have -1 deployment cost and -1 reinforcement cost"? like the idea but needs playtesting. This card, combo'ed with other ones that gives extra open group might be a bit OP because it's similar to saying "all deployment group -1 cost"

good start but I think it needs a lot of tweaking

Hi! Thanks for the reply! :)

I'm really really confused on the 0xp Mil Adapt, "when a group is deployed anytime other than optional deployments"? A deployment is something you can do and you can deploy new groups as part of the end-of-round status phase, mission trigger sometimes allows you to resolve a sudden deployment in the middle of the round, so this can only be used as part of the status phase then?

I was thinking of reserved group deployments described in the mission briefing. So for example when a door is opened, and you deploy the reserved Stormtrooper group, etc.

instead of deploying the group, do X and resolve an optional deployment

Following the example above, if the briefing says 'deploy the reserved Stormtrooper group', you receive 6 threat and you can resolve an optional deployment, deploying anything instead of them.

1xp DA: 2nd half I think is way too good for 1xp: this would mean I can bring in eJets as 5/3 instead of 7/4? and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to keep track of phantom numbers (reminding my players "uh btw that eJet is 5/3 not 7/4 because it came from DA")

Keeping track is tricky, but you do the same in the stormtrooper class deck, or with the mercenaries influence card as well. I agree that the 2/1 bonus might be too much, so maybe I'd put some restriction in there. (For example you can bring it cheaper if it's the first time you bring it in. This would force the IP to put in everyone from it's huge open group hand.)

What do you think of replacing the first two 1XP cards with the two 2XP cards?

1xp UF: okay

I know you said okay, but I'm thinking of making this an attachment. What do you think? Would it be too powerful for 1xp then?

2xp DE: it'd be a deplete (once per mission) to get perhaps 2-3 threats, I don't see this is worth 2xp

How about this for 1 XP?

2xp AoV: feels a bit weird, first half is the same as the 0xp Nemeses deck starter card and 2nd half rarely happens, if at all. I would buff it but right now this is nowhere worth 2xp

I'll think of a buff instead of the deplete thing. Honestly, I think redeploying villains can be pretty powerful. Just think of deploying captain terro twice for 6 threat (if the IP has the threat reducing cards) in the late game.

3xp EW: the abilities are powerful but it's an attachment after all so only one group can use it, I would classify this as perhaps 2xp, based on the 3xp Shock Troopers from Military Might deck

Might make it a 2 XP card. How about giving a reroll option also? Maybe 'When attacking, you may reroll each die with a single attack symbol on it.'

4xp QS: confused on "during open deployment"? do you mean "all open deployment groups have -1 deployment cost and -1 reinforcement cost"?

So the thing is I have to write in 'during open deployment' because of the base ability of Militaristic Adaptivity. Or else, the IP would receive less threat when switching a reserved group to something else. (And yes, this would mean when the mission briefing would tell you to bring in rStormies, you can bring eJets for 6. This card would help the IP to swarm the late game with open deployment cards, whereas the other 4 XP card would help him to more easily bring in the big guns.

Not deploying a reserved group from a mission event will be problematic in missions where the winning condition is to defeat the figures of that group. If the figure never enter play, they cannot be defeated. Just saying ... of course the ability could be further restricted to reserved groups which are not referenced by (other) mission rules. (LOL, already had that)

Ok, now that I'm here, other comments:

1. There is no hand limit for cards in the IP's hand (open groups). There is just the limit during mission setup.
2. "Depletes Elite Squadrons" "Depleted Diversified Armies" ... If you have both, you can switch between them during mission setup?
3. Returning a villain to your hand does nothing, because you cannot deploy a unique figure more than once during a mission by any means. You need to allow to redeploy also. Also might need the "unless mentioned by mission rules" clause.
4. "Enhanced Armors" - When activating, ... would be better as "At the start of your activation". Should the reroll be restricted to the figures of that group, or restricted to during their activation? Rerolling any defense die once per round sounds... good.
5. "Enhanced Weaponry" - Beware, Stun is powerful. The Push happens when you spend the surge unless you give an explicit timing, and would affect the required accuracy. Maybe that's the intention. "~: Push the target figure up to 3 spaces."
6. 4XP cards are powerful.

Edited by a1bert
On 12/9/2018 at 11:51 PM, Sixfreed said:

pvnYA4O.png

I immediately fell head over heels for this

UPDATE:

I reworked the abilities a little. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll make the cards once we are decided on the rough versions. :)

Base:

Increase the number of open groups at setup by 1.

Exhaust this card when a group is deployed anytime else than optional deployments. Instead of deploying the group, inrease D by the group’s deployment cost and resolve an optional deployment. This ability cannot be used when deploying any groups of mission objectives.

1 XP: Elite Squadrons

When choosing open groups, deployment cards of the same name count as only one group.

During optional deployments, reduce the cost of deployment groups by 1 (to a minimum of 1) if there is already a figure on the map by the same name.

Cannot choose with Diversified Armies.

1XP: Diversified Armies

Increase the number of open groups at setup by 1. Open groups cannot contain deployment cards with the same name as another card in the Imperial Player’s hand.

During optional deployments, reduce the cost of deployment groups by 2 if it’s the first time that group is deployed during the mission, and by 1, otherwise. (Note: I'm not sure to add the 'and by 1, otherwise' part.)

Cannot choose with Elite Squadrons.

1 XP: Countless Numbers

Exhaust this card after an imperial group’s activation. Activate another imperial group with the same name.

Exhaust this card when the last figure of a deployment group with multiple figures is defeated. May immediately reinforce that group.

Cannot choose with unbeatable foes.

1XP: Unbeatable Foes

Attachment

Single figure group only.

Increase this figure’s health by 3 and it’s defense by 1 [ block] .

2XP: Dangerous Encounters

During the setup of each mission, after choosing open groups, add 2 Adversaries to the open groups.

Deplete this card when an imperial group is deployed. Instead of that group’s deployment card, use the adversary card of the same group type. Instead of depleting, you can choose to exhaust this card and spend [threat] equal to the difference between the adversary and the deployment group.

This ability cannot be used when deploying any groups of mission objectives.

2XP: Army Of Villains

Gain a villain of your choice and add it to your open groups during setup of each mission.

During the setup of each mission, after choosing open groups, add 2 adversaries to the open groups.

1 [threat]: Exhaust this card to reduce the deployment cost of an adversary or a villain by the threat level (to a minimum of 1).

Villains deployed from your open groups can be redeployed.

3XP: Enhanced armors (attachment)

Distribute 4 [strain] tokens among this group’s figures. For each [strain] token, increase that figure’s health by 1.

At the start of your activation, each figure in this group gains 2 movement points.

[surge] : Gain 1 [power-any] .

[surge] : Become hidden.

Exhaust this card when you defend to reroll one defense die.

3XP: Enhanced weaponry (attachment)

+3 accuracy, +1 [surge]

[surge]: Pierce 2, Bleed

[surge]: +2 [damage]

[surge]: Stun

[surge]: After the attack resolves, push the target small figure a maximum of 3 spaces.

4XP: Masterful schemes

Increase threat level by 1.

At the start of each mission, roll one red die. Increase [threat] by [damage] rolled . If you rolled a [surge] , you can choose to activate an imperial group, but you cannot perform an attack during that activation.

Exhaust this card after any activation: resolve an optional deployment.

(Note: I'm thinking of separating these two abilities. Do you think increasing threat level by 1 worth 4 XP? How much XP would you think the second part would worth?)

4XP: Quick strike

Increase the number of open groups at setup by 1.

During open deployments, reduce the deployment cost of groups by 1 (to a minimum of 1).

Exhaust this card after deploying a group other than at mission setup: that group activates.

Please share your comments.

And new adversaries are coming. ;)