(Spoilers) The Pirate's Ploy - Don't do this to your rebels

By Trevize84, in Imperial Assault Campaign

I brought 2 Nexus regular a Rancor and a lot of DTs.

At setup, I got optional deployment and deployed two nexus in such a way the second was occupying deployment point of e-xd. E-XD had to be deployed surrounded by nexus and wall. So it's difficult to focus attacks on him at round one. Also divinatory rituals invoking dodges worked well.

End of 2 round, droid is basicly dead, 1 HP left. Redeploy 2 nexus in such a way the second is right in front of the door. One round wasted to kill e-xd and the first Nexu. Then the second activated and took the space left by the Nexu who died. More time wasted.

First activation of round 4, door finally opens after 4 dodges, block token spent by nexus and trandoshan hunters hitting like trucks using dice pool of Rancor thanks to my class card Limitless Arsenal.

Regular nexus on this map blocks LoS a lot. Also block tokens on them make them absolute tanks. If you get dodges you win the game. CT's Pin Them Down command card against Nexus works well against Cunning because of weaken but the stuns are a minor issue. Nexu are able to eventually remove the stun and move+attack with pounce.

If you want to still have friends after this mission don't do this.

Haha oh man, that sounds absolutely brutal :lol:

That does sound pretty rough. In my campaigns we've always found rNexus to be particularly annoying blockers. That's why I try not to bring them unless it's thematic, even though they're really effective ๐Ÿ˜‹

6 hours ago, Stompburger said:

That does sound pretty rough. In my campaigns we've always found rNexus to be particularly annoying blockers. That's why I try not to bring them unless it's thematic, even though they're really effective ๐Ÿ˜‹

I agree. The meanest idea was to exploit the initial optional deployment to modify the spawn point of the infiltrator droid. That made the difference. It's clear this mission is thought to let rebels quit the building in 2 rounds. Imperial has a good chance to win if can delay until round 3. In my case I blocked them until round 4, it's been a disaster

I think the threat level for this mission is incorrect. We played the mission at threat level 3 instead of 4 and it felt much more winnable but still very challenging since it's so easy for the E-XD to immediately hide the 2nd time it appears.

@Trevize84 I am wondering how you did some of this? Not sure if you did this part of the extended Lothal Campaign or size mission or as a side mission later.

You said you took 2 regular Nexu's... I was checking mine and the box came with 1 Reg Nexu and an elite Nexu so did you barrow one? And you said you deployed them over the E-XD. Moving the E-XD if I read it right? But I don't see how you can do that? I believe you can deploy over top of the E-XD with the Nexu?(looking for a ruling on that right now) covering it so they have to shoot the Nexu first... but the E-XD is already there so the Nexu would have to be deployed to a different space not covering the E-XD?

Even thinking of the rules you have to deploy as close to a deployment point as possible. So looking at the Map you would have to deploy 1 Nexu right below the Trando that is there... then counting the tiles by the rules I would think that you would have to deploy the other Nexu just to the right of the Trando at the top.

Sorry for asking these questions but I am playing the game tonight and I want to win so looking for help to get there.

True, you can only have one regular and one elite nexu in the campaign.

E-XD is an imperial figure, so another (non-companion) figure cannot end movement in the same space. And vice versa, which is why the E-XD could not be deployed on a same space as another figure.

However, all tokens (which means E-XD as well) are placed when building the map in step 1, so E-XD is on the map before Special Setup including optional deployment is performed during step 3, then Trandoshan Hunters are deployed in step 4.

Edit: I looked at the order before, but didn't notice that tokens are placed when the map is built during step 1 of mission setup. So, thanks for making me check again...

Edited by a1bert

@a1bert so if I am reading you right there was a mix up on how this was done?

And if he could have done it like he said what about the point about deploying as close to a deployment point as possible would that not make it so he could not have done it?

Yup, didn't notice the issue(s) when reading the first time.

The first nexu would be on the deployment point, the other within 2 spaces (one of the other nexu's spaces would be 2 spaces from the deployment point), because within 2 spaces would be the closest possible. But the token for E-XD is already there, so...

(I now notice there's a bit of a causality issue, because E-XD is defined to be a figure during mission briefing, but Special Setup happens before. However, I would think it is still a figure even before you read the mission briefing, after all it's a persistent rule, and clearly intended that way.)

23 hours ago, a1bert said:

Yup, didn't notice the issue(s) when reading the first time.

The first nexu would be on the deployment point, the other within 2 spaces (one of the other nexu's spaces would be 2 spaces from the deployment point), because within 2 spaces would be the closest possible. But the token for E-XD is already there, so...

(I now notice there's a bit of a causality issue, because E-XD is defined to be a figure during mission briefing, but Special Setup happens before. However, I would think it is still a figure even before you read the mission briefing, after all it's a persistent rule, and clearly intended that way.)

I played on Vassal and I haven't realised limitation on number of available rNexu cards. Assuming you have 2 rNexu you can actually deploy on E-XD spot. Following rules from setup, step by step, I deploy nexus as special setup at step 3, then at step 4 I deploy all imperial figures as instructed by diagram. I thought this was the right order...

Edited by Trevize84
2 minutes ago, Trevize84 said:

I thought this was the right order...

I did initially too, but E-XD is a token, which is placed during step 1.

1. Assemble Map : The Imperial player assembles the mission's map using map tiles as shown in the
Campaign Guide or Rulesheet. He places all tokens on the map as indicated in the map diagram.

6 minutes ago, a1bert said:

I did initially too, but E-XD is a token, which is placed during step 1.

1. Assemble Map : The Imperial player assembles the mission's map using map tiles as shown in the
Campaign Guide or Rulesheet. He places all tokens on the map as indicated in the map diagram.

Well we can argue E-XD isn't a figure until step 5 when briefing rules take effect, so I can deploy on the token.

I think youโ€™re bending the rules to suit your strategy, rather than obeying the intent.

the rules are clear later that it is a figure, and the nexu should not be able to be deployed on top of it...

it is not a clear situation though...

component limitations are also an important aspect to the game.

Edited by Majushi

Game rules ar important but... some amount thinking IMO is recomended. My friends and I went one step ahead and we make some changes while playing.

- if token is instructed to be a figure I replace it with figure from SW Miniatures, so it becomes figure at the moment I know It.

- we can't stand on terminals or crates - i own 3Dprinted ones so it's easier to imagine - when one truly Imagines giant Aqualish sitting on terminal then my point ia clear.

-friendly figures do NOT block LoS - on battlefield you can always tell your friend to move a little or crouch down.

17 hours ago, Shwarrz said:

-friendly figures do NOT block LoS - on battlefield you can always tell your friend to move a little or crouch down.

I agree with everything you said except this one.

Arguably, in the heat of battle, in the second it takes you to tell your friend to duck he's already been shot three times...

7 hours ago, Majushi said:

I agree with everything you said except this one.

Arguably, in the heat of battle, in the second it takes you to tell your friend to duck he's already been shot three times...

Of course, but you can move your arms or rifle few inches up or left f.e. if needed...

7 hours ago, Shwarrz said:

Of course, but you can move your arms or rifle few inches up or left f.e. if needed...

Of course, but then you are also making allowances for the fact that the shot you are attempting to make is now harder?

Because you don't want to accidentally hit your teammate, and he's effectively providing cover to the enemy you are trying to hit?

If you allow to ignore friendly figure when drawing line of sight, at least make it an ability where the friendly figure(s) you need to ignore suffer strain for it. Either choose to suffer strain to "duck" (voluntarily suffer strain, so cannot do it if have suffered strain equal to Endurance), or force to suffer strain for "grazing shot" (suffered as damage if has suffered strain equal to endurance).

Positioning is one of the few remaining tools of the imperial player (after the Royal Guard nerf, some of the items from Jabba's Realm, and innate evades or armor with evades, conditions are not what they used to be).