5 Anomilies, Azathoth has appeared, we got 1 clue

By Marinealver, in Arkham Horror

So first game playing with 3rd edition and lets just say, Earth died in our realm.

1st Phase we spent most of our time pulling doom instead of bringing up clues.

So it was my pick for the Mythos (maybe I should have been quoting Dethklok) and I picked a reckoning and a portal which added doom to phase 2.

Then as we finishing cleaning up the anomalies all **** started to break lose.

All 5 anomalies started to pop out and we couldn't remove more than 1 doom many of us failing even with 5 dice and 2 focus.

I was the only one with a clue that researched it as the Rookie Cop (one who could kill a cultist with 8 strength).

Azathoth spawned and the next turn a headline killed the astronomer, the next mythos dumped doom and that was it.

Edited by Marinealver

But did you have a good time?

You can usually tell if a game is good or not by whether you had fun regardless of winning or losing

A few questions/notes:

How many players? Which investigators?

The Chaos Bag Mythos Cup has 3 doom tokens and 2 clue tokens in it.

Remember the last step (Step 11) in setup includes Spawning 3 Clues & 1 Doom. Not realizing that killed me my first couple of games.

The Anomalies deck should be helping you with doom control after an anomaly spawns. It will be directly tied to how many doom are in your location. It performs the function of a second chance at doom recovery before the Mythos Phase.

I will add, that I find the suggested scenario (Approach of Azathoth) to be the hardest and least story driven of the 4. Really not sure why it's the suggested starter. For strategy, it is purely get clues, control doom. You'll need to get gear along the way, but that is secondary to the other 2.

The other thing, and I find this to be a good rule-of-thumb in all of the scenarios, is to have 1 guardian (or someone who can reliably fight) per 2 players (rounded down). Although the focus of a scenario is rarely to kill monsters, they will be spawning every 3-and-a-half player turns (it takes 7 player turns to get through the Mythos Cup) if they don't also spawn from the Codex, Headline, or Encounter decks.

Edited by Duciris
On 12/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, Duciris said:

emember the last step (Step 11) in setup includes Spawning 3 Clues & 1 Doom

Negative you spawn a total of 6 dooms when you start

you forgetting about the player card

Edited by WIZARD1325
1 hour ago, WIZARD1325 said:

Negative you spawn a total of 6 dooms when you start

you forgetting about the player card

I meant outside of the scenario card. Really, I meant the spawning of clues. They give you an actual goal, while we just waited around until the mythos cup cycled clues into the game. Having the 3 starting clues is really important to the early game.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:00 AM, Duciris said:

A few questions/notes:

How many players? Which investigators?

The Chaos Bag Mythos Cup has 3 doom tokens and 2 clue tokens in it.

Remember the last step (Step 11) in setup includes Spawning 3 Clues & 1 Doom. Not realizing that killed me my first couple of games.

The Anomalies deck should be helping you with doom control after an anomaly spawns. It will be directly tied to how many doom are in your location. It performs the function of a second chance at doom recovery before the Mythos Phase.

I will add, that I find the suggested scenario (Approach of Azathoth) to be the hardest and least story driven of the 4. Really not sure why it's the suggested starter. For strategy, it is purely get clues, control doom. You'll need to get gear along the way, but that is secondary to the other 2.

The other thing, and I find this to be a good rule-of-thumb in all of the scenarios, is to have 1 guardian (or someone who can reliably fight) per 2 players (rounded down). Although the focus of a scenario is rarely to kill monsters, they will be spawning every 3-and-a-half player turns (it takes 7 player turns to get through the Mythos Cup) if they don't also spawn from the Codex, Headline, or Encounter decks.

4 players, I was the Rookie Cop, we had the astronomer, and I forgot the other two.

It was the first game so we made some mistakes with the card shuffling especially on clue encounters. It was just that the mythos phase we had to spawn doom and they were going to the anomalies which puts them on Azanoth and advanced the scenario to the bad ending.