Daidoji Nerishma

By Eiketsu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

So...hi. It's been some time since I've had any kind of interaction with the L5R community or playerbase, but I felt the urge to pop back in and say thank you.

Thank you for remembering my friend.

It's been almost fifteen years since we lost him, and even that last Topaz Championship wasn't without its own struggle, drama, and loss among that circle of friends. I've spent a lot of time asking myself if it was all worth it. And when I found out that AEG was selling off L5R before being able to create Nerishma, my heart sank. So much loss, so much bitterness, so much struggle...It was months of correspondence with both AEG and FFG to get this resolved, and I am still grateful for FFG's decision to honor that last tournament. And while I may not have had any say in the art, my late buddy's character - the favorite of our party, by a landslide - is now immortalized, and I am forever humbled by that. I've seen all kinds of conversation around Nerishma, from cheers for following through on his creation to critiques of the mechanics, both positive and negative. And hey, no hard feelings about that. It's the nature of the game, right?

Fingers crossed for an Experienced version (are they still doing that these days?) but I know better than to reach beyond my grasp. I'm grateful for what we've been given already.

Anyway, yeah. I just wanted to say thanks. Thanks to FFG for the great story, thanks for the folks who have taken time on the wiki(s) to give a rundown of his character, and thanks to all the players who take an extra second when looking at that card to admire the way a legend really can live on.

The year after his passing, a handful of my favorite L5R artists at Gen Con were gracious enough to provide sketches of his character for me. My favorite was this one, by Jason Engle. I thought here would be as good a place as any to share it.

Thanks again, everyone. Tell someone what they mean to you today, would you? You don't have forever with them.

Nerishma.jpg

We are so happy to see his story passed on. Thank you for coming in and sharing this about your friend.

It was an honor to write about him in "Her Father's Daughter", and a pleasure to make him the very first canon character to appear in the new FFG version of the story.

Thank you, @DGLaderoute . It was one **** of an intro, too. I haven't kept up on much of anything about the game lately, I hate to admit. Has he showed up at all since, in any way?

49 minutes ago, Eiketsu said:

Thank you, @DGLaderoute . It was one **** of an intro, too. I haven't kept up on much of anything about the game lately, I hate to admit. Has he showed up at all since, in any way?

No, I'm afraid he hasn't. The fiction has been focusing more on the big movers and shakers in the clans and the Empire, with only occasional portrayals of the rank-and-file. That's just a product of the nature of the story FFG wants to tell, I think (there are only so many words available to tell the story of L5R, unfortunately!) That doesn't mean he won't be back, though!

And it is stories like this that make L5R the amazing game and amazing community that it is.

Thank you for sharing this with us, and letting us share in carrying his memory into the future.

I was seriously expecting him to show up in the Mantis vs Crane fiction to alert eveyone on the Crane ship that ..........."that's not a natural storm......IT'S A TRAP!"

Not long after my friend's passing, our storyline drifted from Gold to Diamond edition, with the death of Toturi (that's when that happened, right? I'm a bit rusty on my Lore: Rokugan these days). Having survived the Second Day of Thunder, standing his ground against oni, masho tsukai, and ogres, Daidoji Nerishma's last stand was in defense of the Emperor himself, as his personal yojimbo. With countless stories of courage and bravado, heroism and self-sacrifice to his name, when the Battle of Oblivion's Gate came around, Nerishma didn't return with the other fallen heroes of legend, for he had, at the behest of the Celestial Dragons, been called to ascend to the role that only he could fill...

The Fortune of Bushido, champion of everything that makes a Samurai more than just a man or woman. Courage, Compassion, Duty, Courtesy, Honesty, Honor, and Sincerity - Daidoji Nerishma lived and died was reborn forevermore as a representation of all things virtuous*.

*Some..."artistic liberties" may have been taken in the interests of the most flattering revisionist history man can muster, in a few cases. No more than half of them. Probably. After all, "Fortune of Awesome", "Fortune of Kicking Asses", and "Fortune of All Things Radical" aren't exactly professional when it comes to a Celestial Resume.

Edited by Eiketsu

That's one of the things I've always enjoyed about this game. The real life lore behind the in game lore. It has always connected me to the game and community so much more than any other game.

On 12/8/2018 at 2:35 AM, Eiketsu said:

Not long after my friend's passing, our storyline drifted from Gold to Diamond edition, with the death of Toturi (that's when that happened, right? I'm a bit rusty on my Lore: Rokugan these days).

The Death of Toturi was between Jade Edition and Gold Edition.

Gold Edition was when his heirs were fighting for the empire and that was resolved with the end of the edition, Diamond Edition started off with the rise of Iuchiban and the rain of blood.

This thread is... awfully strange. I had to do a quick search because it wasn't at all clear whether this was about a real person or a character in the story. It looks like it is mostly the former and this being a character of that real player.

Thanks for the clarification, @TheHobgoblyn . And yes, this is mostly about the player of the character, and the gratitude I have toward the community for honoring the one through the other.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Eiketsu said:

After all, "Fortune of Awesome", "Fortune of Kicking Asses", and "Fortune of All Things Radical" aren't exactly professional when it comes to a Celestial Resume.

To be fair, I've had some (polite) disagreements with players at my RPG table trying to insist that whilst there may be ten thousand of them, the " Fortune of Excessive Collateral Damage " really isn't a thing, either.

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

To be fair, I've had some (polite) disagreements with players at my RPG table trying to insist that whilst there may be ten thousand of them, the " Fortune of Excessive Collateral Damage " really isn't a thing, either.

Pretty sure that's one of those the Steel Chrysanthemum is responsible for, along with the Fortunes of Dung and -Torture.

6 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Yet.

In the spirit of random chaos that was Daidoji Nerishma, I gotta say that Life will find a way.