A Malady of Mutation >> A look at Corruption and Mutation from Winds of Magic

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

At the top of the world, where the warpgates of the Old Ones are said to have once stood, lie the Northern Chaos Wastes. The wastes are shifting and insane landscapes where reality and the realms of the daemonic gods of Chaos bleed into one another. The power of Chaos is transformative. Where it broaches on the mundane world it warps things into strange shapes for inscrutable purposes.

Those who find themselves altered by mutation do not immediately fall into the worship of Chaos, despite the proclamations of nobles and priests. To develop a mutation is an incredibly distressing occurrence, not only does the unfortunate mutant find his own flesh in revolt, but his neighbours will view him with horror and sell him out to the authorities – assuming they don’t just kill him themselves...

You can read more about corruption and mutation in my latest designer diary for Winds of Magic.

An excellent development diary! And well timed too.. I think we were all starting to wonder about the contents of Winds of Magic.

Now thats something!

Finally! Muahhahhaha demonio.gif

Already love it corazon.gif

Can change corruption points to challenge die you say... SWEET gran_risa.gif

I really like the idea of GM invocation - that way corruption can be a utilized much more often in a game rather than going from a "non issue" to a characterending mutation... It can also be used to indicate that npc's are corrupted at some level (by choice or not).

Agreed, this option for GMs of bleeding off corruption is really good. Assuming a GM doesn't want to operate at Call of Cthulhu levels of PC churn...

I think it's couraging for GMs and players all around that these things come up and are developed. It's also really nice and interesting to notice that the basic structure of these rules and our house rules are pretty much alike. For me it means that WFRP is certainly going to into right direction!

They work really well, and there are some enemies and places where corruption can be quite a frequent check.

Dvang, you tease!

Hey, it's not MY fault. Blame FFG. lengua.gif

According to the preview, your Corruption Threshold is 5 + T. Wouldn't it make more sense to make it 5 + WP? Especially since Wound Threshold is already based on T, but also because it seems to me the will to resist corruption is more important than physical toughness.

setting it against toughness might mean we are talking about the body's ability to resist physical mutation instead of something that the mind can resist.

But it's not merely a disease, is it? It's a magical, corrupting influence. Willpower sounds like a better fit to me.

mcv said:

According to the preview, your Corruption Threshold is 5 + T. Wouldn't it make more sense to make it 5 + WP? Especially since Wound Threshold is already based on T, but also because it seems to me the will to resist corruption is more important than physical toughness.

Maybe you got a point there. But its the same in the 2nd edition that is Toughness that decide how well you can withstand mutation and corruption. But when it comes to corrupted enviroments like the chaos wastes or troll country the test is against WP (from tome of corruptions).

I usually look at chaos corruption as radiation.

Mal Reynolds said:

I usually look at chaos corruption as radiation.

Then I understand using T. Personally I tend to see it as magic, as well as a reflection of a corrupted personality.