Battle Map Size

By JPierson, in Runewars Rules Questions

Hey all. So I am fairly new to Runewars Miniatures (3 games in) and am wondering if the 6x3 play area is crucial? I ask because I am thinking of getting a Frontline Gaming battle mat and it is 6x4. Will that make a huge difference mechanically if we played at the 4' instead of the 3' space?

Just now, JPierson said:

Hey all. So I am fairly new to Runewars Miniatures (3 games in) and am wondering if the 6x3 play area is crucial? I ask because I am thinking of getting a Frontline Gaming battle mat and it is 6x4. Will that make a huge difference mechanically if we played at the 4' instead of the 3' space?

More space between terrain

Probably 1-2 extra turns to engage, so you may see a lot more leave the table.

The deployments people normally consider punishing (1 deep) probably become less so.

The effects will matter. Overall, slowing the game down

You can still play on a 6x4 if you move your deployment zones up to match 6x3 with minimal differences (other than late game, you have more room to turn around at the edges)

It can be marked off but as others have noted, you're altering the game in ways that you don't want.

6x3 works well! And the FFG mats are nice but there are other companies that make mats in that size too.

By a 4x6 and cut a foot off.

22 hours ago, Darth Matthew said:

By a 4x6 and cut a foot off.

I had considered that as well.

And thank you all for the responses. It does make sense that it would take longer to get the armies to a point of engagement and considering there is only 8 rounds, that would make a huge difference. Thanks all!

Run a tape line at each side to mark 6" in. Then you have the normal play area and an area for cards, tokens, what have you on the mat too.