Look at this one!

By guest530780, in Constantinopolis

FFG apparently has at least slipped this one into their fold of games without me seeing it til just now. Billed with light rules and a 1-2 hour play time, Euro style game pieces, and 2-5 players. [Why are so many Euro games designed for no more than five players? Just to ensure a sixth-player expansion will be quickly desired by players?]

This one definitely gets FFG out of the Ameritrash "rut" it's been in lately with its boardgames. Will keep an eye on this one...especially as it's in the 59.95 price point rather than the more trendy $99.99 level...

There is currently nothing on this new game, other than the advertisment on the main page - does anyone know anything more?

Torbal said:

This one definitely gets FFG out of the Ameritrash "rut" it's been in lately with its boardgames.

That ain't no rut, it's a lifestyle !

TK

When I saw the announcement I thought it was an old licenesed product from a euro company. From the BGG boards it looks like its been in development for a long, long time, since it's been mentioned on geeklists for a couple of years. I think this game covers a niche for FFG. Can't wait to hear more.

I really love those euro-style board games that Fantasy Flight publishes. Kingsburg and Tribune belong to my list of games I play most often. Can't wait for the first preview for Constantinopolis.

I love how they sneak in these games before making big announcements. Dungeon Quest was pretty much a given though. I'm curious about this game as well.

Torbal said:

[Why are so many Euro games designed for no more than five players? Just to ensure a sixth-player expansion will be quickly desired by players?]

No, most euros are not fun with more than 5 players.

Yeah, I have to admit this game looks pretty appealing. I really enjoy Tribune, and it looks to have a few things in common. And I know a few other people who'll be willing to play with me, which is the other half of the battle.

While i personally prefer epic-scale Ameritrash games, I'm always on the lookout for a game to play with my parents, brothers, and wife. They've been hooked on Settlers of Catan for a long time, and we recently started playing Carcassonne when we get together. But I definitely get the sense that they enjoy the more frequent interaction of a game with a trade element, so that you're not just waiting for your turn to come back around. From FFG's product description page, it looks like Constantinopolis is definitely one to keep my eye on...

Hopefully the rules will be available on-line pretty soon... can't wait me too...

It looks interesting, I'm glad its listed for playing with two. Anopther game I'll probably have to add to my 'want' list!

Tim Kelly said:

Torbal said:

This one definitely gets FFG out of the Ameritrash "rut" it's been in lately with its boardgames.

That ain't no rut, it's a lifestyle !

TK

lol

tech7 said:

No, most euros are not fun with more than 5 players.

and sometimes do not work well... But Consta has a low direct interaction between players (except auctions, take buildings and ships), so a sixth player will be possible. The only thing that happens is a greater downtime.

Braddox said:

While i personally prefer epic-scale Ameritrash games, I'm always on the lookout for a game to play with my parents, brothers, and wife. They've been hooked on Settlers of Catan for a long time, and we recently started playing Carcassonne when we get together. But I definitely get the sense that they enjoy the more frequent interaction of a game with a trade element, so that you're not just waiting for your turn to come back around. From FFG's product description page, it looks like Constantinopolis is definitely one to keep my eye on...

I am in the same boat as you. My Wife loves Settlers and has been on me to get a new family game. We have tried the commonly recommended games, like carcass and agricola, but, those games are snore fests. Besides the Wife, I have two teenagers that like games, but they can't be A) To nerdy - so nothing amazing like Runewars B) Too simple, so no Clue ish games C) Fun, so Carcassone is right flat out D) It has to meet the discerning judgement of teenagers. Which is tricky. I downloaded the rules and they seem simply enough. Just hope to get a intro game in at the LGS sometime.

Tried a couple of other games, but just can't get that wow factor from the Wife.

This is weird. I swear I just saw a copy of this at my local game store. Didn't Tom Vassel review this months ago? Why isn't it on shelves yet? I'm gonna check again and get back here because I swear I saw it.

Torbal, I agree with Tech 7: Five seems to be the ideal number, exactly actually, for a lot of systems. I think it has to do with three being an obvious gang up fest and four tending towards stale unspoken alliances. It's almost a numerology thing.

Simpatikool I agree with you that Carcassonne is a snore fest. Who thinks that stupid meeple shape is so hot it should really be imitated by a hundred games, by the way? Is there a meeple factory monopolizing somewhere? Anyway, I'd suggest Cosmic Encounter for a family game (I'd suggest Cadwallon too except you might not like the thief theme, but it's a very dynamic game; and Dust if you want something more exciting than Risk and you're cool with the family warring with each other, but there's cleavage everywhere.)

Braddox said:

They've been hooked on Settlers of Catan for a long time, and we recently started playing Carcassonne when we get together.

Funny how many people get their start on Settlers and end up playing Carcassonne before moving on to really complicated games...