Enemy activations

By Ywingscum, in Heroes of Terrinoth

Played the Goblin problem twice yesterday. Really enjoyed it, but had some questions.

Say rat swarm activates, it engages a player, but it doesn’t have ‘inflict’ so it does no damage? It only damages you on counter attacks from the black die?

Oh and exportation deck. Do you shuffle all together? Or shuffle in groups, stacking groups like enemy deck? Or leave a pile for each relevant location ?

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by Ywingscum

Rat Swarm: correct. It mostly gums up your play area, setting up extra black dice for nastier enemies to hit you with.

Exploration deck: currently, you mix everything together. The rule about putting stacks together? All the scenarios to date have a single stack. The rule is probably there to match the language of the other constructed stacks, and to future-proof any expansions that might have multiple stacks.

Another note on Rat Swarm: it's swarm ability causes it to engage the hero with the most heroes engaged with it. If a hero has 3 engaged enemies, the Rat Swarm will move to that hero. Since that hero already has 3 engaged enemies, the Rat Swarm deals its damage to that hero and then retreats to the shadows.

And only one enemy activates per player. So there’s an advantage for 2 player versus 4 player I suppose

37 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

And only one enemy activates per player. So there’s an advantage for 2 player versus 4 player I suppose

Only one enemy activates at a time. The enemy phase continues until all enemies activate.

The Rat Swarm is mostly harmless but the Swarm ability could prevent you from having a specific hero engage a specific enemy. Like on my play last night, on the enemy phase, Avric had 2 Rat Swarms already engaged with him, a 3rd one was activated by Kari, which caused it to engage Avric. So Kari ended up fighting Splig and the Bandits and the Ogres which thankfully turned out okay.

Oh! So just one at a time but continues until all are activated. That makes more sense! So by end of the phase all enemies will have activated. So you should never have face down enemies at the end of a round.

So game 1 I played correctly but game 2 I skimmed and saw the only activate 1 enemy an got it wrong haha

Edited by Ywingscum

Played my third game now. First 2 were warrior/healer. This game scout/mage. A lot closer of a game totally different feel. Pretty sure I got all the rules right and really enjoyed it.

Now to play a harder scenario:)

On 11/26/2018 at 8:03 PM, Xelto said:

Exploration deck: currently, you mix everything together. The rule about putting stacks together? All the scenarios to date have a single stack. The rule is probably there to match the language of the other constructed stacks, and to future-proof any expansions that might have multiple stacks. 

I've just received my copy of the game and I can see stack definitions in the back of each Quest cards. Is it a difference? Should I stack the exploration cards then?

Picture has been removed...

Ok it's clarified now by Garrett ( Budgernaut ) on BGG.

"
That's not what it means by order. If you look at the enemy deck. There are two to three pictures of the enemy card back. Next to each picture is a list of enemies. The list of enemies next to one stack gets shuffled together, and the enemies next to the second image get shuffled together. Then you place the first stack on top of the second without shuffling. We agree on this, right?

Now look at locations. For each location, there is usually one image of a card back with the location name next to that image. If there are multiple locations next to an image, you shuffle those together, but again, each image represents a separate stack.

Now look at the exploration deck. There is only one image and a list of three tupes of exploration cards (e.g. base, dungeon darkness). Because this list is next to one image, all three are shuffled together. If the intent was to have separate stacks of exploration cards, the quest would show multiple exploration card backs.

An astute observer will notice that each quest has only a single exploration card back image, meaning that you shuffle all three exploration sets in each of the quests. Why, then, do they have the rule about stacks? Future proofing. The designers created the game with expansions in mind. It looks as though they thought stacked exploration decks would add too much complexity to the base game, but hoped to add that later. How would such an exploration deck work? Here are two of the many possibilities.

1) In preparing the exploration deck, place a unique exploration card between the two stacks. When you are at a certain location, it may say that you can't travel unless that exploration catd has been resolved. This would allow you to say, start in a village setting with Village exploration cards, but not be able to see the dungeon cards until you've explored the village and found the secret passage to the dungeon.

2) You could have a quest say, after you travel from location X, reveal exploration cards until you reveal a dungeon card. Resolve that card. This would be another way to have the feel of the game chsnge as you travel by making the exploration cards more closely match the locations.

You can see how both of these would add some complexity, which is why I believe they chose to leave a single stack of ecploration cards for the exploration deck in the base game. "

Edited by kbalazsa