Imperial Assault Space combat (photos)

By Spidey NZ, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

@subtrendy2 had a great post about working a Spaceship combat with Imperial assault, link to post here it has some great ideas. i decided to spend the day making a small encounter that can happen, an ambush of 4 TIES as a test. i have ruleset posted below, and some images. Hope it makes sense., give it a try, game turn over is pretty quick and hectic, with heroes taken turns at the same time can create some crazy moves.

When: heroes want to redraw the side missions they were dealt.
What: they engage in a tie ambush. Amount of TIES, is the threat level of current mission.
Start: heroes start adjacent to the Terminal.heroes get a full turn before enemies are placed. Then enemies are placed and take their turn. Turn order then starts
Turn order : all heroes take their two actions before enemy turn, Heroes take actions like regular imperial assault, Rest, Move, etc. strain moves also
Enemy: TIE fighters (for now) two actions move, attack, or add defense power token. Blue green attack, (can only use one action for attack.) calculate damage on enemy dice. 5 health each. Imperial player controls their actions. can not attack twice
If the Heroes win: 50 credits and redraw side missions.
If the Heroes lose: lose 50 credits and don't get to redraw side missions.
Ship layout (based of the Outrider from Xwing): two device tokens (ship components) on front, back and two sides. 3 health each. Then removed once destroyed. Stunned condition to the side or front that when both ship components are destroyed on a section. remove tile fro destroyed section, (for potential Boarding party.)
Damage done to a destroyed section goes through as damage to occupants of the side or front sections of the ship. Wounded heroes only get one action.
Rebel tokens two for gunners positioned adjacent to each other. (These are the Front a rear guns,) one for pilot, one engineer. Front and back on the other side of the ship. Heroes have to be on the token to use sections abilities.
3iEhQEKcnmvaL2K91tEj1eQW4IzN6xpqo8Ug7xQA

Additional rules:
Figures can take 1 stress to reroll 1 dice, can be done multiple times. Each die rerollled once.
Excess surges can be used to heal one strain
Heroes cannot use their hero powers, but may use any card that allows test rerolls
Gunner section ( adjacent rebel tokens)
Strength: fire gun from either front or back placement, if standing on the front or back token. Test strength successes equal damage either. Can distribute all surges to enemy ships as damage
Insight: gain focus token
Tech: fire gun from either front or back placement, if standing on the front or back token.. Test Tech successes equal damage either. Can distribute all surges to enemy ships as damage
Pilot section. (front most section )
Strength: jam enemy ship. Place a stun token on enemy ship per success
Insight: turn ship 90 degrees per success
Tech: move TIEs spaces to adjacent sections per success (one tie multiple times, or several ties. based on number of successes .)
Engineer section (rear most section)
Strength : distribute shield tokens based on successes to front, back or side sections 3 shields max to each section. (shields block one damage from enemy.)
Insight: power up guns with surge power tokens per success (max 2 on guns)
Tech: distribute shield tokens based on successes to front, back or side sections
(All heroes can repair.)
Repair: interact and do any test with damaged components. Repair damage equal to successes to undestroyed components.
gcL_SwswA3CFOGg2LGNOjSReXBBxzl1VvJiL7rT0
A_4RNbtGxZK5nvo2QQApUPdalFtaCIbIFw4TOz1Z
fNmzgqzEbex0QP3NzrEFvfyZmyhwSG3IuM-CKk3D
*if you are keen to see a video demo, i can link one to my dropbox
Edited by Spidey NZ

Wow, this is really cool to see in action!

Looks like I might have to invest a little more heavily in X-Wing. I like how you adopted the "Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime" idea to the minimap mode. Really well done!

its quite fun having the heroes go first, so you can plan a cool maneuver and then fire. i think having the hero turn on a timer would be hectic and throw some extra fun into the mix. 'quick, power up shields' 'turn the ship so i can fire the guns.' 'dont turn until the guns are charged.' 'fire'

the only balance needed to be tested is how many TIES at what level is effective. i will try implement this in my next campaign.

Yeah, I'm sure that would be one of the biggest challenges with balancing.

Also, I really like having a mechanic for redrawing Side Missions, something I think the game sorely needs. A fun and elegant way to improve the game!

3 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

its quite fun having the heroes go first, so you can plan a cool maneuver and then fire. i think having the hero turn on a timer would be hectic and throw some extra fun into the mix. 'quick, power up shields' 'turn the ship so i can fire the guns.' 'dont turn until the guns are charged.' 'fire'

the only balance needed to be tested is how many TIES at what level is effective. i will try implement this in my next campaign.

Have you ever heard of the board game "Space Alert"? It's very similar to what you've described, with players running around inside the ship hitting different buttons, with a timer on their decisions. It is quite hectic :)

11 minutes ago, Gerontius said:

Have you ever heard of the board game "Space Alert"? It's very similar to what you've described, with players running around inside the ship hitting different buttons, with a timer on their decisions. It is quite hectic :)

yeah, I have played it, it was one of the deciding rule changes made to this space combat system that i suggested, based off space alert, and space team

22 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Also, I really like having a mechanic for redrawing Side Missions, something I think the game sorely needs. A fun and elegant way to improve the game!

they fly to another sector, (redraw cards) and encounter an imperial patrol

22 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

maybe the number of TIES is always the Same, but the Health of the Ties changes with the current mission threat level. Threat 2 = 2 health . threat 3=3 health etc

Edited by Spidey NZ
57 minutes ago, Spidey NZ said:

maybe the number of TIES is always the Same, but the Health of the Ties changes with the current mission threat level. Threat 2 = 2 health . threat 3=3 health etc

I like that.

Thematically, I guess different threat levels could represent different Imperial fighters too, if you've got the minis for it.

2 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

I like that.

Thematically, I guess different threat levels could represent different Imperial fighters too, if you've got the minis for it.

i have a lot of ships. though wanted to start very small scale. even though i did concept two ships boarding. :)

Actually, this reminds me a little of the space combat in another IP FFG has: Battlestar Galactica.

Would LOVE to see a video demo. This is so cool!

3 hours ago, E Minor said:

Would LOVE to see a video demo. This is so cool!

cool, will try to put one together

This is pretty well thought out. I ran a Hoth campaign a while back where I combined Heroes of the Aturi Cluster mission and IA together (Heroes operated out of a "Great Fox-like" Hanger ship and ran X-wing missions between IA story and side missions).

I found it integrated quite well, and it made for some quite memorable moments (especially the 2-part finale for the X-wing stuff), but it certainly was a lot of work. This little system you have here seems like an perfect smaller scale version of what we were running. I'll certainly be trying this out in a few weeks when we start our next campaign. :D