Runewars on the cheap

By Glucose98, in Runewars Miniatures Game

If you guys know anyone who's looking to start up Runewars (or just want to fill up some gaps in your armies) -- Miniature Market is currently running some really cheap deals on the older stuff given that Asmodee lifted their MAPP this weekend.

$30 core sets, $7.50 expansion boxes for some Daqan / Waiqar. Be a great time to get in!

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=runewars#/?_=1&filter.category_hierarchy=Table Top Miniatures&page=1

I have a core set and am looking at maybe getting more through this sale. I am intrigued by the $7.50 and $10.50 expansions that are still in stock. I see everyone always says buy more core sets but do you end up with things you dont need? Is it better to get those expansions instead?

If you need figures, the cores are better, if you want more diverse upgrade cards, the packs are better.

If playing waiqar, get 2 packs of archers, it's the only place to get combat ingenuity.

Reanimate packs get you lingering dead.

3 hours ago, Runner5 said:

I have a core set and am looking at maybe getting more through this sale. I am intrigued by the $7.50 and $10.50 expansions that are still in stock. I see everyone always says buy more core sets but do you end up with things you dont need? Is it better to get those expansions instead?

Two core sets is a great spot to start your human / undead army. Two cores, when counting the figures and trays, is equivalent to 4 spearman boxes, 4 reanimate boxes, 2 reanimate archers, 2 oathsworn cav, 1 carrion lancer, 1 rune golem, 1 daqan hero (kari -- though you technically get two), 1 waiqar hero (ardus -- and once again two). You're also getting the contents of 2x Runewars Essential Packs (dice, movement templates, terrain, neutral upgrades etc)

So even if you could get each one of those expansions at $7.50 a box (which you can't for some heroes and siege) plus the two essentials pack -- that would cost $135. You're getting it for $60. So even at the amazing prices, its still less than half the cost :) .

Reference picture of what comes in a single core set:

Image result for runewars core set

Edited by Glucose98

More dice, more templates, more reference cards, more manuals...

All great things to have duplicates of

Awesome thanks. So getting one more core. Maybe the two heroes boxes? What of the expansions to get if I get another core? Id like to keep it under $100 if possible. I will be playing with my wife and brother in law. Ill be supplying the armies if that helps.

Edited by Runner5
2 hours ago, Runner5 said:

Awesome thanks. So getting one more core. Maybe the two heroes boxes? What of the expansions to get if I get another core? Id like to keep it under $100 if possible. I will be playing with my wife and brother in law. Ill be supplying the armies if that helps.

Nothing in the game is more enhancing for a faction than its Infantry Command packs. Those are 7.5 each, and after the cores take you to 75. Since you'll be playing low-key games and learning it, I'd say diversity of tray formations matters more than getting new heroes on the table. The final question is whether you want to just squeek past 100 dollars to qualify for free shipping. If so, then 1 Carrion Lancer, an Oathsworn, and a Reanimate Archers will do the trick. I'm assuming you'd want to build the factions evenly. Carrion Lancers can be built well in a 2x1 and seem to do well as Blight vehicles in the 1x1. For Oathsworn, you can operate two different cavalry groups or the big 2x3, which is fun. Two more trays of Reanimate Archers gives you the chance to run the 3x2 or simply multiple archer groups. You'll already be able to run a 3x3 with embedded Heavy OR pick between running 2x1 infantry OR 2x2 Infantry in multiples, and two more trays doesn't add much to that.

Welcome to the game!

1 minute ago, Vergilius said:

Nothing in the game is more enhancing for a faction than its Infantry Command packs. Those are 7.5 each, and after the cores take you to 75. Since you'll be playing low-key games and learning it, I'd say diversity of tray formations matters more than getting new heroes on the table. The final question is whether you want to just squeek past 100 dollars to qualify for free shipping. If so, then 1 Carrion Lancer, an Oathsworn, and a Reanimate Archers will do the trick. I'm assuming you'd want to build the factions evenly. Carrion Lancers can be built well in a 2x1 and seem to do well as Blight vehicles in the 1x1. For Oathsworn, you can operate two different cavalry groups or the big 2x3, which is fun. Two more trays of Reanimate Archers gives you the chance to run the 3x2 or simply multiple archer groups. You'll already be able to run a 3x3 with embedded Heavy OR pick between running 2x1 infantry OR 2x2 Infantry in multiples, and two more trays doesn't add much to that.

Welcome to the game!

I actually already own one core set. Does that change your suggestions?

Just now, Runner5 said:

I actually already own one core set. Does that change your suggestions?

That frees up more change to spent on packs. :)

I don't think I'd change anything. You're just at 70.50 instead of 100.50. There's still the question of whether you wanted to hit 100 on the nose for free shipping or were settling for something quite a bit less. One box of Reanimates is at least essential for the upgrade card "Lingering dead." Two boxes lets you build a 4x3. The heroes start to look the most meaningful buy from there. Everything beyond that is taste.

I grabbed a starter set and extra reanimate expansion on Black Friday. This week I got a steal on a Waiqar Army, 1/2 starter and 1-2 of all expansions except the Wraiths. I am looking for recommendations for Daqan expansions to pick up to help make the starter set more balanced to play against my now heavy Waiqar army. There is no local players that I know of so I am looking for something to boost for friends or if I ever demo the game. Looking at staying cheap - wish MM would run another Black Friday-esqe sale.

1 hour ago, Cusm said:

I grabbed a starter set and extra reanimate expansion on Black Friday. This week I got a steal on a Waiqar Army, 1/2 starter and 1-2 of all expansions except the Wraiths. I am looking for recommendations for Daqan expansions to pick up to help make the starter set more balanced to play against my now heavy Waiqar army. There is no local players that I know of so I am looking for something to boost for friends or if I ever demo the game. Looking at staying cheap - wish MM would run another Black Friday-esqe sale.

Baron Zachareth and Lord Hawthorne are both really discounted on Amazon right now. It's hard to go wrong with crossbowmen for Daqan. I'd recommend crossbowmen and Lord Hawthorne if you want powerful builds. Zachareth combos well with Rune Golems (which are also really cheap at the moment), but golems are tougher to play with.

4 hours ago, Hepitude said:

Baron Zachareth and Lord Hawthorne are both really discounted on Amazon right now. It's hard to go wrong with crossbowmen for Daqan. I'd recommend crossbowmen and Lord Hawthorne if you want powerful builds. Zachareth combos well with Rune Golems (which are also really cheap at the moment), but golems are tougher to play with.

Holy cow! I don't have any Latari, but with Maegan on sale for $9.90, Leonx Riders for $11.32, Aymhelin Scions for $13.90, and Deepwood Archers for $14.79, I could make a decent army at a reasonable price! One of each of those plus a $53 Latari army box puts you at just over $100 - amazing! (At $53 for the Latari Army box I'd rather pay the full $60 at my local store). It's tempting, but probably not in the cards for me. I wonder if a local would be interested...

16 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Holy cow! I don't have any Latari, but with Maegan on sale for $9.90, Leonx Riders for $11.32, Aymhelin Scions for $13.90, and Deepwood Archers for $14.79, I could make a decent army at a reasonable price! One of each of those plus a $53 Latari army box puts you at just over $100 - amazing! (At $53 for the Latari Army box I'd rather pay the full $60 at my local store). It's tempting, but probably not in the cards for me. I wonder if a local would be interested...

I think I'm going to need to at least grab that Maegan, if not some other Latari. I really want to get a second army up and running to face my Locust Horde. But with the U.S. government shut down, I have no idea when I'll see my next paycheck.

Grabbed some Elves, second favorite fantasy race after Undead, and will keep an eye out for the Elf Starter set locally. Amazon has the Uthuk starter for $39 right now.

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

I think I'm going to need to at least grab that Maegan, if not some other Latari. I really want to get a second army up and running to face my Locust Horde. But with the U.S. government shut down, I have no idea when I'll see my next paycheck.

Ouch, good luck there. The US government can be really flakey at times.

Amazon has some more deeper discounts on stuff. Grabbed a second Uthuk for $21 and Latari Command for $12, others discounted as well.

I am down to missing only the Vipers, Obscenes and Thu'uk from completing my collection.

I thought you meant Uthuk command for $21, but it's the whole army expansion that's $21! Good grief!