Spoting a color

By nakala, in Star Wars: Destiny

Okay so I understand that currently spotting is not a play restriction. But really isn't that only applied to events?

I dont see how spoting would work with equipment and supports and not be considered a play restriction

I.e yellow ezra disregards blue upgrade restrictions so wotf makashi force training should work even if the blue character is defeated Or finn1 and t7 ion interaction since you can build it with out having red character

To be fair all these cards to my knowledge say to play spot red/blue so they should work(however in the past some say it doesn't work because to play =/= play only ) [still need to clarify this]

Now if the cards didn't have the phrase to play in its text or is ruled still not a play restriction what exactly happens? For events they are played and then heads to the discard pile after they resolve like normal. But that interactions doesnt work for upgrades and supports

Thoughts?

Just b/c you could put it in your deck at the beginning of the game, doesn't mean you can play it later. If the card says "Spot >insert color<" and you don't have this on the table, you can't play it. They're starting to expand this now with Boushh and seeing a "Villain" card for example.

~D

Spotting is not a Play Restriction because of the rules. p21 of the RRG.

Mechanically, Play Restrictions and Spotting work differently. If you can't meet a Play Restriction, you can't play the card at all. It's just not legal, and any attempt to do so means your attempt fails and you have to take a different action.

Spotting is different. If you attempt to play a card and can't meet the Spotting requirement, the action fails. But you still pay the cost of paying the card or effect, but then it fizzles. If playing a card, it goes into your discard, and then your action ends.

Thinking about it a different way, Play Restrictions are part of the Cost of a card, while Spotting is part of the effect.

Yeah, one of those funny things. You spot in order for the effect to trigger, not play the card. You would knowingly play such a card rather than passing when you have no other actions to take and you really don't want to pass. This isn't really a situation that ever happens.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, Mep said:

Yeah, one of those funny things. You spot in order for the effect to trigger, not play the card. You would knowingly play such a card rather than passing when you have no other actions to take and you really don't want to pass. This isn't really a situation that ever happens.

You're better off discarding b/c then you don't have to pay the cost(s) :)

~D

On 11/16/2018 at 3:09 PM, Mep said:

Since they ruled that you can discard to re-roll 0 dice, even if you have no dice in play, there really isn't a point to not having spotting be a play restriction. They only purpose it serves is to screw players in highly competitive games when they make a mistake.

@HoodieDM @kingbobb Yes, you'll have to add running interference into the mix. Like I said, this isn't really a situation that ever really happens.