Tales from the Madlands: Great wall of Golem

By Jukey, in Runewars Battle Reports

Played our newer resident Daqan player @picotheguyyo . He's still learning the ropes with daqan and wanted to try out the 4x1 golem.

We played vanguard clash for the deployment with take the ridge for the objective.

My list

'Clockwork Blocks'

198/200

Darnati Warriors [31] 2x2
Maegan Cyndewin [10]
Pathwalkers Amulet [3]
Hedge Shroud [2]
Total Unit Cost: 46

Deepwood Archers [30] 2x2
Tempered Steel [3]
Greenwatch Herald [3]
Rallying Starling [4]
Hedge Shroud [2]
Total Unit Cost: 42

Ventala Skirmishers [30] 2x2
Tempered Steel [3]
Hedge Shroud [2]
Total Unit Cost: 35

Prince Faolan [36] 1x1
The Spirit Sword [6]
Etharyon of the Ailatar [5]
Total Unit Cost: 47

Aymhelin Scions [25] 2x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Total Unit Cost: 28

Picos list

'Zach Hawthorne and the Rocky Boys'

Don't have it exactly

Baron Z - Grayhaven runelore - shard of the shadowrune.

Hawthorne - might of the daqan

2x2 Rune golem - shield wall

2x3 oathsworn - coiled stance - dispatch runner - tempered steel

He reformed the golems to 4x1 and knights to 3x2.

Setup

I deploy to go hard after the objective, Pico places a spread army, able to move rapidly into a controlled assault.

GPF0EwY.jpg

Re7oCSy.jpg

Turn 1: I make an early grab at the objectives, while the daqan close in more slowly.

u2ws2FM.jpg

The oathsworn should be 2 further forward, Pico forgot the modifier, and we corrected it after the picture.

4a3RrAE.jpg

Turn 2: I bring my army into arc and prepare to take on the heroes. I take a risk with my darnati and don't quite get them into the position I wanted, which was to hide behind the terrain.

lk0cchf.jpg

Baron Z takes the first shot and wounds a scion. Hawthorne charges madly ahead, trusting in his well crafted armor. The golem wall trundles forward.

cdwRER9.jpg

Meanwhile, the oathsworn sweep in from the side.

Turn 3:

The oathsworn pull off an unbelievably close miss with the edge on their turn. They will be joining the fight after all!

YY13Asw.jpg

Runes roll for the golems, not the darnati, 2 stable, 2 unstable, 1 natural. And it's not my initiative. I dial in a 1 march/armor up, as it's better than getting hit flatfooted. The golems roll a natural double/single red roll, and take the back rank.

hTbJK1l.jpg

Hawthorne takes 3 wounds from the cows, archers, and faolan. Baron Z brings down 1 scion and the other shambles towards him.

Turn 4:

The golems surprise the darnati with a stun and armor. The darnati still get 1 damage through to clear the vitality.

ktCfBfE.jpg

Hawthorne rolls well against Faolan, but is deflected by the spirit sword (really starting to like this artifact). Faolan swings back and Hawthorne falls.

The ventala plink javalins against golems, while the deepwoods find a few holes on baron Zs armor. The scion gets charged and takes damage.

1rkFfM5.jpg

The oathsworn make a double march into my deepwoods, forcing their way into combat.

Turn 5: I'm fairly certain there is a picture missing, I can't figure out how units got to where they are without it missing.

Etharyon faolan pulled the archers out of combat, blanking the cav melee. The ventala spun and shot a golem off the wall.

Baron Z splinters the scion.

Turn 6: I use Etharyon on the archers again, while using faolan to block the golems. Baron z puts a kills a cow as they shift forward and hit the knights. Coiled stance is keeping the oathsworn durable.

3rcloaL.jpg

The golems swing at faolan, they get 1 hit, which he cancels.

sJYx9Nr.jpg

Turn 7:

I march the deepwoods into the oathsworn to jank a charge, he calls my bluff and melees. Hedge kicks in and I only lose a tray. The ventala shoot again, killing another horse.

ObVpiEH.jpg

Faolan and the golems trade intellectual blows. Baron Z can't get damage through the shroud on the cows.

0gKHVre.jpg

Turn 8:

Faolan pulls the deepwoods back with etharyon, the ventala charge. The knights swing back.

The game ends with daqan leading latari by 2 points.

Afterthoughts

So the golem wall worked, at least for a few swings. It's a massive threat that takes awhile to deal with.

Baron Z is a pretty good ranged hero, with the white hit mod he can put 6 damage out fairly consistently.

Faolan with etharyon of ailitar and spirit sword is a really fun build. He runs interference and helps reposition his allies. Spirit sword can blank out a lot of units rolls pretty easily, plus it's very easy to recharge.

Coiled stance was great in the oathsworn. It changed several trays from the whole tray to 1 knight dying. It also helped on the offensive.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Jukey