So....is it fun /good?

By VAYASAN, in Heroes of Terrinoth

Still waiting for a release date in the UK, any opinions about the actual game?

Happy with it? disappointed?

Too shallow, too complex?

I will go with analogies so I apologize if you're unfamiliar... there's a pretty in-depth review on BGG...

I've only played with 2 players.

Some calibration data: I just don't have time to play Armada (2hrs+) these days. I want something quick but not too quick (1hr - 1.5hr).

So I think the Gloomhaven card mechanic of your "moves" is really good. In Terrinoth, each guy has Aid, Fight, Explore and Rest actions that can only be used once until readied again. I wish the cards were "double-headed" (e.g., you have two moves per card) but they do the job and can be leveled up one time. If you play Arkham LCG, fighting is kind of the same way (monsters have armor, health and just physical attack), but there is equipment in Arkham. Explore is advancing with clues.

All in all, it's a good spot for time vs. complexity.

I think when campaign boxes come out, you'll be able to have more complexity (e.g., nonlinear exploration, more "leveling" up). Right now, equipment is one use items.

Another analogy is Pandemic the Cure (dice, optimize for that turn) vs. Pandemic (optimize for the entire game). I feel like Terrinoth is a puzzle-optimize with the current situation game (e.g., balance monsters vs exploring with the "threat" timer).

Again, apologizes for the stream of consciousness but I think it's a good gateway game and I'm better there will be more complexity later (I mean, it's an FFG game where they always add new nuances per expansion).

For $40 MSRP, it's a buy. Warhammer Quest ACG where FFG controls the IP so they won't let the game die.

I haven't received my copy yet, but I'll give you my impression from Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game.

I was really looking for a cooperative dungeon-crawl experience. I wanted a fantasy adventure kind of like The Lordof the Rings: The Card Game, but without deck customization. This game looks like it really scratches that itch. However, it doesn't play much like a fantasy romp. The game is brutal enough that you need to think tactically and optimize your actions or else uou get crushed (or you might get crushed anyway). The end result is more of a puzzle feel as you try to figure out where each enemy will go during the next phase and act accordingly. Having to stop and think about each action slows the game down to where it doesn't feel like a fantasy combat theme. If each enemy were an army and each hero were a general, I think the mechanics might match the theme better, because then it doesn't seem so silly that you debated for 3 minutes on what your next action should be. It's ridiculous to imagibe discussing whether to shoot the bat or the spider when they're already engaged with the heroes because you expect that combat to take seconds. For armies, you can take that kind of time to discuss and plan.

But is it fun? Yes. It took several plays for me to enjoy it for what it is, but I am enough of a fan of the system now that I did order Heroes of Terrinoth.

LOL - I must've laughed for like two hours while we were getting our butts kicked in a 4P game. Actually, we have laughed a lot!

Played the first scenario "The Goblin Problem" yesterday with my wife. Slogging through the rules was a little crunchy, at first, but luckily we managed to decipher how the game works despite the designers best efforts to confuse us ;).

We had a lot of fun. The scenario had a good build up, and the quest card takes away a lot of the heavy lifting you see in FFG LCG games. This game provides more of a light experience, but super punchy when it comes to taking a turn and choosing actions. Perfect for beginners who need a structured experience to frame with making decisions.

We used a range of cards and abilities, fought a bunch of different kinds of baddies and overall really enjoyed the game. Sense of progression was solid, really felt like exploring through the quest was important, and getting cards for exploring in addition to moving the story along felt rad. We DID NOT need the +10 health bump for our two characters, but perhaps we were getting the enemies rules wrong. I'll watch a few playthroughs to make sure we get it right.

We're going to run through "The Goblin Problem" again tonight with different characters now that we have a handle on the rules. I think it will be just as fun the second time, and I'm looking forward to it.