Upgrading the difficulty of the whisper base adventure

By MrTInce, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

Hello,

I am planning to run my experienced players through the Takeover At Whisper Base module from the starter box. What extra threats, difficulties and enemies could I throw at them. They are currently about knight level and have good gear so anything that can scare them is good but I don't want to deviate to highly from the core adventure.

I do plan to follow up with the operation shadowpoint, which I will equally update.

Instead of the linear adventure that it is, make it more open ended allowing for more opportunity for players to exploit. Change the backstory of the base to include it as a place to train shadowtroopers or deathtroopers in the wilderness of Onderron, also give it a small complement of Tie interceptors to give it both air defense and another opportunity for the players to exploit during this adventure. Make sure expand the hanger and staff to complement such backstory.

You can also bring back some adversaries from previous adventures if they were left in a state where they could return. Maybe they were sent to Whisper Base to recuperate or punishment for letting your PCs escape.

Just a work of caution, the hanger has some AT-STs, we hijacked them and went so off the rails, the GM stopped using the module.

11 hours ago, Tephyc said:

Just a work of caution, the hanger has some AT-STs, we hijacked them and went so off the rails, the GM stopped using the module.

Sounds fun :P

On 11/18/2018 at 4:55 PM, Tephyc said:

I ran the adventure at a con once. The players sabotaged the shuttle but spent a triumph so that they (and only they) could restart it.

That escaping AT-ST didn’t get far.

ANYWAYS, you could improve the difficulty quite a bit by giving the players back a lot of the starting work. The module as written starts after they’ve gotten on-world, hiked through the jungle, and cut the com line without getting caught. Rewind it so the players actually have to figure out how to do all those things, and you’ve made it more complicated before they even step into the hangar.

Quick update as to what happened when I made this more difficult. The players got lost in the jungle after setting their ship down. They were attacked by local creatures (used the Nexu stats). The players chose to use blasters and explosives so a patrol of scout troopers (upgraded to rivals and using the stormtrooper sergeant stats) passed a vigilance check and noticed one of the group, who failed a stealth check. (two got stuck in the mud after rolling despairs, one of them a melee expert)

While the troopers questioned one of the group another attempted to throw a grenade at some of the troopers and fluffed alerting them to the group...

Combat ensued again where the group lost a droid when it was ran over by a speeder bike, a good use of a triumph interfered with comms so a scout tried to flee on a bike, to which a player pursued and ended up getting captured by a pair of scout troopers. The group accidentally shot down a tree where a number got pinned by branches, one character lost his vibro-axe to the mud.

When they got the base they failed (badly) stealth checks and were noticed by the dark troopers (which I didn't realize are very tough!) guarding the entrance. Two characters fell in this combat within the first round due to rolling well with auto-fire and through a lucky roll using a speeder bike managed to defeat them as one of the main damage dealers was one of the ones captured.

Now the base has thrown it shields up and the players are stuck outside.

Love this game!