Stuck due to mismatched cards and scenarios

By DirkA520, in Discover: Lands Unknown

I am attempting to play through my Scenario 1 in the Snowy Mountain terrain but I have run into a major issue. I cannot complete Stage 2 because the cards don't match the text. I am told to resolve Exploration Card #9 which will lead to the next stage, however this terrain uses Exploration Cards #101-160 so how am I supposed to finish the Scenario with the cards provided? Is anyone else running into this issue? Did I maybe get a mismatched set?

The scenarios are keyed to the terrain type. Scenario 1 & 3 use one type (Desert in mine) and 2 & 4 use the other (Snowy Mountain in mine). Scenario 5 can be played on either. I’m betting you should be on the other terrain type for scenario 1.

Are you sure you're using the right terrain and setup for the scenario? I played a couple of games getting frustrated with not finding a particular location until I realised I was using the wrong terrain.

I'm using the snowy terrain and the cards that go with it. The rulebook doesn't say anything about the scenario being matched to a specific terrain. According to the rulebook the scenarios should go with any terrain.

4 hours ago, stumbleduck said:

The scenarios are keyed to the terrain type. Scenario 1 & 3 use one type (Desert in mine) and 2 & 4 use the other (Snowy Mountain in mine). Scenario 5 can be played on either. I’m betting you should be on the other terrain type for scenario 1.

Hmmm, I didn't see that in the rulebook, I must have missed it. In the rules under how to play it just says players should start with Scenario 1. I'll take a look. Thank you.

No problem. I missed it too. I didn’t even realize the terrain reference sheets opened up when I first looked at them.

Relevant rules text is on page four. First paragraph of section 4. On the inside of the terrain reference sheet it lists the scenarios it’s used for directly under the “Island Components” title.

I just saw it right on the front of the terrain reference sheet. I feel dumb. Desert says 1, 2, 5 while Snowy says 3, 4, 5. Derp.

Glad I made that mistake while playing alone and not in front of my friends! Haha

Desert and Snowy? Wow

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

Desert and Snowy? Wow

Sucks cause I live in the freaking desert!

23 minutes ago, DirkA520 said:

Sucks cause I live in the freaking desert!

Kind of makes me want to get a second copy for the alternate quests/aesthetic combinations.

I got the island and the orange one (wild west like). I think I'll trade it once I play all scenarios just to explore the game more :) Desert and snow would be perfect!

On 11/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, Derrault said:

Desert and Snowy? Wow

That's the combo I got, the terrain Ir eally wantain (Mountains) and the one I really didn't want (Desert).

57 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

That's the combo I got, the terrain Ir eally wantain (Mountains) and the one I really didn't want (Desert).

After playing one scenario in each I think I like the desert more though

On 11/14/2018 at 12:11 PM, DirkA520 said:

After playing one scenario in each I think I like the desert more though

Desert is brutal in the free for all scenario 5.

4 minutes ago, sabrjay said:

Desert is brutal in the free for all scenario 5.

I havent tried 5 yet at all but the desert seems to be more difficult to survive and that's why I wanted this game. The endgame for scenario 4 (I think) in the snow is much tougher than the endgame for scenario 1 in the desert but I wanted a challenge so I lean towards the harder terrain