Fanfiction

By Hida Jitenno, in Your Stories

So, the old AEG forums used to be down with the fanfiction written for the setting. How about FFG's take on it? Does anyone know if they would be opposed to people posting their fanfiction here? Would that possibly go better under another heading (as opposed to the stories from the games you've run/been in)?

I cannot imagine it would be a problem. As long as it isn't... well... you know... that kind of fanfiction.

But, otherwise... what exactly is roleplaying games in a pre-established setting other than cooperative fanfiction?

5 minutes ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

I cannot imagine it would be a problem. As long as it isn't... well... you know... that kind of fanfiction.

Well, I'll try to stay away from Minor Clans, then... I don't know why it would be such a problem, though.

Well, making up your own minor clan is probably a good way to go awry in the direction of people won't want to read it.

Also, putting too much stock and emotional investment into your own created characters is another way to do that.

But what I was primarily indicating is that the term "fanfiction" tends to be associated with a particular sort of story. The ones that are usually presented with the term "cross" or "shipping"

If it involves adult situations and a lot of emotional relationship stuff that you wouldn't play out at a table with a group of friends, it might be best not to post it.

To my understanding though, the most popular L5R fictions of all time were AU stories.

Rokugan as a futuristic Star Wars inspired setting

And Rokugan as a High School drama with the clans representing different cliches

So, who knows... maybe Rokugan as an over-the-top sappy soap opera setting would be popular.

5 minutes ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

"shipping"

ccf.png

...why indeed!

Edited by AtoMaki

Honestly, it would be awesome if FFG were to host a "fanfiction contest", with an open submission for just general, non-storyline fiction to help build out the setting.

With a paid publication prize, or something.

1 hour ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

Well, making up your own minor clan is probably a good way to go awry in the direction of people won't want to read it.

Also, putting too much stock and emotional investment into your own created characters is another way to do that.

But what I was primarily indicating is that the term "fanfiction" tends to be associated with a particular sort of story. The ones that are usually presented with the term "cross" or "shipping"

If it involves adult situations and a lot of emotional relationship stuff that you wouldn't play out at a table with a group of friends, it might be best not to post it.

I knew what you meant... I just know that you had that longer thread about problems with Minor Clans, so that was just my little joke/ribbing on you.

1 hour ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

And Rokugan as a High School drama with the clans representing different cliches

Ah yeah, my first tattoo. Won't forget that one ever.

3 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Ah yeah, my first tattoo. Won't forget that one ever.

It is said that the Crab do it sideways.

Edited by sndwurks
13 hours ago, sndwurks said:

It is said that the Crab do it sideways.

That'd be the one. My first, and still my favorite.

I wish he'd managed to finish Rokugan 2000...

Although Rokugan as Star Wars is kind of a Campaign Setting in Imperial Histories 2 - Empire of the Emerald Stars.