0-0-0s shocking palm - attack misses

By topacesteve, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Hello, say i attack someone and the attack deals NO damage but i have a Surge..so its a Miss (can i still use the Surge to play shocking palm? ) to get an easy Stun?

Short answer: yes.

The “Stunned condition” is different from the “Stun condition keyword.” Meaning, “the defender becomes stunned” is abosolute, but “[surge]: Stun” requires damage per the rules.

Also as an FYI, doing no damage isn’t necessarily a Miss. A Miss only occurs if you have insufficient accuracy (which in the case of 0-0-0’s melee attack type would be rare at best), if the defender rolls a Dodge, or if and ability states the attack misses. If no damage is done the attack can still hit assuming none of those criteria are met.

6 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Short answer: yes.

The “Stunned condition” is different from the “Stun condition keyword.” Meaning, “the defender becomes stunned” is abosolute, but “[surge]: Stun” requires damage per the rules.

Also as an FYI, doing no damage isn’t necessarily a Miss. A Miss only occurs if you have insufficient accuracy (which in the case of 0-0-0’s melee attack type would be rare at best), if the defender rolls a Dodge, or if and ability states the attack misses. If no damage is done the attack can still hit assuming none of those criteria are met.

Yes but if we would like to stun him you would have to score at least One hit as you mentioned...but this one is a Stunned Condition applied

differently so no hit is required.

10 hours ago, topacesteve said:

Hello, say i attack someone and the attack deals NO damage but i have a Surge..so its a Miss (can i still use the Surge to play shocking palm? ) to get an easy Stun?

You stated different things there, let me answer in order:

• No, dealing no damage is not a miss. @topacesteve has already mentioned all cases, I would just add the case where the target interrupt and moves out of line of sight (see On The Lam card)
  • Yes you can use surges, also when an attack missed.
  • Yes you can use a surge for playing shocking palm in this case and also in the different case of a missed attack. If you apply shocking palm the attack becomes a miss and the "defender becomes Stunned" (as written the defender becomes stunned, I would add "no matter what", so even if you dealt no damage)
Edited by Golan Trevize

Said in other words:

Shocking Palm gives the Stunned condition directly (and when the surge is spent - Shocking Palm is resolved when you spend the surge because there is no other explicit timing specified).

A Stun condition keyword requires that the target suffered damage for the Stun condition keyword to give the Stunned condition after the attack resolves. Shocking Palm doesn't use the Stun keyword.

Blast, Cleave, and condition keywords and only Blast, Cleave, and condition keywords require that the target suffered damage from the attack (during step 7) to be performed and the corresponding condition to be applied.

For further reading: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631857/ability-resolution-order-during-attacks

Edited by a1bert